2018-2019 NHL Discussion

Fire Tortorella

On 6/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, Gooningitup said:

Wow huge trade between the Flames and Hurricanes, personally think its actually a fair trade no real winner 

Yes and no. Hamilton is a pylon and Ferland is just a big bodied third/fourth liner. Lindholm and Hanifin are legit young players with great upside.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, Gooningitup said:

Wow huge trade between the Flames and Hurricanes, personally think its actually a fair trade no real winner 

It's a weird one, for sure. Hanifin has big upside, but hasn't really been more than a #5 to this point and is about to get paid almost as much as Dougie. Lindholm is interesting as well, but might never be more than what he is. He might follow the Granlund development path, and blow up this year, but he might also follow the Coyle development path and just be all promise without ever really coming close. He's a solid player, but again, is likely going to get paid for his potential, and who knows if he reaches it?

I look at the trade as Carolina getting the best player, and not really downgrading Lindholm to Ferland, right now. Until Lindholm and Hanifin show something more than they have, I'd say Carolina wins the deal right now - though we know that trades can never really be analyzed for a few years.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, can it just be Sunday already? JT's decision is an interesting follow, and the longer there is no news, the more I'm getting my hopes up he comes to Toronto lol. I just hope that it doesn't end up he makes it to UFA and signs somewhere else haha.

5 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

JVR back to Flyers, $7 million for 5 years. Not confirmed either way, but I really doubt there's an NTC, considering Hextall hasn't given one out to anyone yet.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Is a pretty good top 6.

I said the Flyers could win the cup next year in May. Don't let me down!

10 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Beagle to VAN $3 million x 4 years?

Feel so bad for Canucks fans with the way management has ran that team the past couple of years. I thought the Flyers were stuck with dinosaur management...

Solid 3rd line center great PK guy can play up an down the line up not really that bad. A tad rich but Van rebuilding got the cap

7 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

"Hm...it's been 15 minutes. Let me check HFBoards to see if anything new has happened"

"Error 520"

"Oh, must mean JT signed in Toronto!"

He did sign in Toronto ?

Good for them, bad for everyone else. Now they just need defence somehow. Crazy good line up for Toronto

8 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

John Taveres is a Leafs insane

Very crazy, yeah. Good for hockey in Canada though, fuck teams like Carolina, Arizona, Florida etc. 

I think he'll do amazing there. New York is shit and he was cast in a shadow of being a great player on a shit team. I even have a Tavares chubby right now.

20 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Scenes when the Habs offer sheet Matthews next year.

You shoulda seen a post i made on HFboards lol i talked about how i actually think long term this is a really bad call by Leafs management. Just look at the cap projections 11mill JT, 11/12 Matthews, 6-8 Nylander,

8-10 Marner. Marleau 6mill, Anderson 5, Rielly 5, Zatsiev 4.5, Gardiner 4, Kadri 4.5

64.5- 69mill at max on 10 players how are they gunna compete with that much cap to not even a full top 6 or top 4

Edited by Gooningitup

Hextall just indicated that signing JVR opens up the possibility of moving Giroux back to center as a solution to our center depth issues. There are a couple of prospects who could step up for the 3C and 4C roles, but it's interesting.

JVR - Giroux - Voracek

Raffl? - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

I don't like this as much as our potential roster keeping Giroux at LW.

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - XXX (Frost?) - Simmonds

Laughton - XXX - AHL Prospect

2 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Beagle to VAN $3 million x 4 years?

Feel so bad for Canucks fans with the way management has ran that team the past couple of years. I thought the Flyers were stuck with dinosaur management...

That's actually not a bad contract given the cap now and the fact they lost a couple depth forwards anyways

52 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Scenes when the Habs offer sheet Matthews next year.

If other teams are smart they do this. Offer sheet him so Toronto has to either scramble to get the cap to sign him or trade pieces to you for cheap.

52 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

You shoulda seen a post i made on HFboards lol i talked about how i actually think long term this is a really bad call by Leafs management. Just look at the cap projections 11mill JT, 11/12 Matthews, 6-8 Nylander,

8-10 Marner. Marleau 6mill, Anderson 5, Rielly 5, Zatsiev 4.5, Gardiner 4, Kadri 4.5

64.5- 69mill at max on 10 players how are they gunna compete with that much cap to not even a full top 6 or top 4

They're going to be a fun team for sure but their defense is still pretty meh. They have lots of cap wonder if they try and take a swing at someone with an expiring contract on the blue line? I like Reilly but the rest is pretty bad for a contender. THey should be all over Petry if Mtl trades him. Would be a perfect fit for them.

28 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Hextall just indicated that signing JVR opens up the possibility of moving Giroux back to center as a solution to our center depth issues. There are a couple of prospects who could step up for the 3C and 4C roles, but it's interesting.

JVR - Giroux - Voracek

Raffl? - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

I don't like this as much as our potential roster keeping Giroux at LW.

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - XXX (Frost?) - Simmonds

Laughton - XXX - AHL Prospect

I said the flyers would go to the finals next year in June. I think they're underrated as a team. If one of their young dmen take the jump expected they could easily be elite as soon as next season.

26 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I said the flyers would go to the finals next year in June. I think they're underrated as a team. If one of their young dmen take the jump expected they could easily be elite as soon as next season.

I mean:

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Frost - Simmonds

Laughton - Raffl - Aubel-Kubel

Provorv - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald - Myers

Elliot/Neuvirth

Is a decent line up, assuming Frost, Sanheim, and Myers can all make the jump and not completely burn out by playoff time. Goaltending obviously has it's issues, but if Neuvirth can SOMEHOW stay healthy for the playoffs, I think we have a decent shot at not being a pushover in the playoffs. Lots of ifs in there, but we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

I mean:

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Frost - Simmonds

Laughton - Raffl - Aubel-Kubel

Provorv - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald - Myers

Elliot/Neuvirth

Is a decent line up, assuming Frost, Sanheim, and Myers can all make the jump and not completely burn out by playoff time. Goaltending obviously has it's issues, but if Neuvirth can SOMEHOW stay healthy for the playoffs, I think we have a decent shot at not being a pushover in the playoffs. Lots of ifs in there, but we'll see.

I like Frost but im not sure hes NHL ready yet. But hes also too good for the CHL. Kinda one of those players that cant go to the A, but probably not NHL ready. Sanheim i think safe get to make it. Myers maybe?