Jake Davis - Press Conference

Josh

What kind of player do you hope to build into?

What goals do you have set for your first VHLM season?

Which player is your biggest role model?

How have you enjoyed the site so far?

What's your prediction next year's NHL season? Who wins? Washington repeat?

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

What kind of player do you hope to build into?

I'm hoping to develop a strong two-way playmaker.  The kind of player that can run a powerplay and isn't a defensive liability.

What goals do you have set for your first VHLM season?

I'm just focusing on steady development for the time being. Don't want to focus on the stats too much since I'm just starting out. The team is doing alright so far and I just want to keep that train going.

Which player is your biggest role model?

I'm a big fan of Wheeler as he's a been a pretty active member of the community here. Also Toews comes to mind, must be because of where I'm from!

How have you enjoyed the site so far?

Definitely, it's had a bit of a learning curve but it's nice to see that it's evolving. Hope to be more involved as I get more familiar with it.

What's your prediction next year's NHL season? Who wins? Washington repeat?

I'm thinking Washington could definitely come out of the East again. Out of the West.. could honestly see Winnipeg making it next year (fingers crossed). I'd take the Jets over Caps in that final.

What team is your least favorite to play against and why is it Yukon?

Are there any NHL players you shouldn't like, but can't help but respect/admire?

What hobbies do you have outside of the VHL/hockey?

Is there a VHL team that you'd prefer to be drafted by?

Where did you (your VHLM player) grow up?

What skill are you most focused on improving?

Which VHL team would you least like to be drafted by?

What is your player's favorite food?

Why should a team draft you?

Where is your player's favorite vacation spot?

@Reives

1.) 12-17 and you're playing less than 15 minutes a game. Would Ottawa be better if you got more playing time?

2.) Does Ottawa have a shot at the cup?

3.) Are your teammates helping you get better, or do they resent you for trying to steal their playing time?

4.) Who's your favorite VHL player?

• Commissioner

1 TPE carry over from: Previous Post

What team is your least favorite to play against and why is it Yukon?

Somewhat self explanatory. 1/5/0 when we're visiting... 0/3/0 when we're hosting. It's playing a team from the big leagues.

Are there any NHL players you shouldn't like, but can't help but respect/admire?

Brad Marchand has carried me in Fantasy for the last couple of years. Have to respect a guy that puts up 85 points 2 years in a row; especially considering he played 12 less this year.

What hobbies do you have outside of the VHL/hockey?

Bike riding, tennis, playing music. Gotta stay active!

Is there a VHL team that you'd prefer to be drafted by?

*Looks at VHL standings* There's a couple teams I wouldn't want to be drafted to but I'm not ready to burn any bridges. Wranglers look a lot better than the Flames... would love to go there especially if they figure out that new arena.

Where did you (your VHLM player) grow up?

I grew up in Winnipeg, lived there my whole life. Excellent hockey community, too bad we didn't have a pro team to watch when I was growing though.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, AndrewWarren13 said:

What skill are you most focused on improving?

I'm currently focused on improving my passing and skating. Passing is the root of my game and I want to improve my skating to help on the rush and back check.

Which VHL team would you least like to be drafted by?

I hear the market in Toronto is pretty harsh on players, especially considering how poorly they're doing this year. I think I'd hope for opportunities elsewhere.

What is your player's favorite food?

I absolutely love Kraft Dinner, grew up on it. I eat a box almost everyday.

Why should a team draft you?

I should be drafted because of my dedication to improvement and the game. A lot of players falter off or don't push through the hard times but that won't be me.

Where is your player's favorite vacation spot?

Whenever I have time off my favorite place to go is to head home and visit the family. Outside of that I plan on travelling to new places instead of heading to the same place every year.

Week ending July 8, claimed 1 TPE carryover and 3/10 answers. 7/10 remaining to claim.

Edited by Reives
Updated claimed amount.

1.) What has been your favorite part of the VHL so far?

2.) Why did you pick to sign with Ottawa?

3.) If you could make one change to the VHL or VHLM, what would it be?

4.) Are you in any other sim leagues?

5.) Out of the VHL and VHLM teams, which team has the best name/logo design?

@Reives

• Commissioner

Week ending July 15, claimed 6 of remaining 7 questions. 1 carry over.

Edited by Reives

1.  Question for Jake: You haven't scored in 8 games, you think you're gripping your stick a little tighter?

2.  Question for Jake: You're now centring the top line.  How has your game changed moving from the 2nd line?

3.  Question for Jake: Your passing and skating are looking very strong.  What's the next part of your game you'd like to work on?

4.  Question for Reives: Any significance to the name, Jake Davis?

5.  Question for Reives:  I see you've got a job in the Fantasy Zone. How's it going?

• Commissioner
On 7/4/2018 at 10:11 AM, Fire Hakstol said:

1.) What has been your favorite part of the VHL so far?

Mainly the maturity of the community. It seems like everyone around here is really engaged and there is a lot of opportunities to put more work in.

2.) Why did you pick to sign with Ottawa?

Who doesn't want to be a Lynx? (Other than anyone on Yukon) The money was right and they seemed a supportive club to start out with.

3.) If you could make one change to the VHL or VHLM, what would it be?

I'm still pretty new to the system so I can't comment on this too much. I think there's definitely some opportunity to make starting out in the VHLM a little more engaging but I can't suggest anything just yet.

4.) Are you in any other sim leagues?

Only if Be a GM counts... which we all know it doesn't. 

5.) Out of the VHL and VHLM teams, which team has the best name/logo design?

Best name? Riga Reign for sure. As for logo... I'm going to have to go with Quebec, it's just 10/10 clean. 

On 7/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, Elhandon said:

1.  Question for Jake: You haven't scored in 8 games, you think you're gripping your stick a little tighter?

That's the problem with email interviews, I've potted a couple since you sent this in! It's been heating up lately and I hope that carries on down the stretch and into the playoffs.

2.  Question for Jake: You're now centering the top line.  How has your game changed moving from the 2nd line?

It's a big confidence boost and I think that's showing in the stats. It's a bit odd not being in my natural position but I think we've been clicking pretty well so far.

3.  Question for Jake: Your passing and skating are looking very strong.  What's the next part of your game you'd like to work on?

Passing is the core of my game so it's nice to hear that. I'm working on my puck handling and defensive play now.

4.  Question for Reives: Any significance to the name, Jake Davis?

Not particularly, my initials are actually JD and I just played around with that until I came up with something I liked.

5.  Question for Reives:  I see you've got a job in the Fantasy Zone. How's it going?

Pretty good so far, noticed you won last week so congrats! I'm just trying to stay involved and the extra TPE is definitely nice too.

1. Thoughts on the new GM job? 

2. What are your plans for that team?

3. Excited about your player in the VHL?

4. what are your goals for that player?

5. any teams you want to play for more than others?

+1 Smirnov

• Commissioner
45 minutes ago, Banackock said:

1. Thoughts on the new GM job? 

Excited and nervous, hope I can really help out and get a lot of experience out of it.

2. What are your plans for that team?

Since this season is almost over we're getting ready for the playoffs and setting ourselves up for a good run next season. Hope to keep the momentum going.

3. Excited about your player in the VHL?

Definitely. He's put up a lot of points in the minors considering he came in after the season started. I figure he'll get another full season before he makes the jump.

4. What are your goals for that player?

Just being a dominant force on whatever team he ends up on. Potentially a guy to build around when the time comes.

5. Any teams you want to play for more than others?

At the moment I'd like to shift over to Yukon, maybe that happens next season! As for the big leagues? No preference as of now.

Claiming +1 from last week and +1 from this post. Nothing banked after this.

• 2 weeks later...

1) You're currently regarded as one of the better first-generation players in this draft class, how do you think you compare with the other first-gens such as Montgomery, Crimson and Nguyen?

2) As Assistant GM of the Rush, what were your thoughts on the surprise loss to the Storm?

3) Any player you've played with during your VHLM career you'd like to continue playing with in the VHL?

4) How is it working with @BarzalGoat as his assistant?

5) Any player you'd like the Rush to bring in during the VHLM Draft?

6) When do you think you'll be selected in the VHL Draft?

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Tagger said:

1) You're currently regarded as one of the better first-generation players in this draft class, how do you think you compare with the other first-gens such as Montgomery, Crimson and Nguyen?

Great question! Honestly I think we're all progressing really well in our first year. I'm happy to say that I put up the most points this season but at the end of the day, I think Nguyen had a better points per game so really it's a close one. Dan saw a lot less minutes than we did as well as Yukon's top line was tearing it up all season. It's going to be an interesting draft day!

2) As Assistant GM of the Rush, what were your thoughts on the surprise loss to the Storm?

It was a heart breaker. We honestly went in to that series thinking that we already had the cup. I have to give a lot of credit to the Storm GM and players for really showing up in those games. I know a lot of guys were disappointed by the results and we just have to bounce back from that for next season.

3) Any player you've played with during your VHLM career you'd like to continue playing with in the VHL?

@Elhandon is my boy! He was feeding me primary assists for the last half of the season. I think we could keep that chemistry going in the show.

4) How is it working with @BarzalGoat as his assistant?

Well we've only been working together since the last week of the season so it was kind of a trial by fire for me (and him I believe). I think we communicated pretty well and will be able to push through the disappointment of the post-season and rally together for the next. 

5) Any player you'd like the Rush to bring in during the VHLM Draft?

Well I know it's going to be a good draft so I think we're going to be happy with whoever we pick up for the coming season. I'd rather give you a straight answer but I have to keep my cards tight to my chest on this one.

6) When do you think you'll be selected in the VHL Draft?

Recently I've been projected as a top 10 so that's my hope. I think if I go ~7-8, I'll go home happy tomorrow.

NEW WEEK, NEW QUESTIONS! OH FUUUUCK YA

1. What are your thoughts on the league so far?

2. Does your player have any PREGAME routines? Superstitions? 

3. If you could compare yourself to an NHL player, who would it be and why?

4. IF your player was to get involved with a celebrity (relationship wise), who would it be??? ;) 

5. Any suggestions as a new member to improve the site, make things easier or to better accommodate you?

@Reives

• Commissioner
23 hours ago, Banackock said:

1. What are your thoughts on the league so far?

It's all kind of new to me but really it just comes across as a really mature yet agile place. Even in the little bit I've been around there's been a VHLM expansion and a portal update. It's cool to be part of something that's still growing.

2. Does your player have any PREGAME routines? Superstitions? 

Does a pre-game Kraft Dinner and blasting "Danger Zone" on the way to the rink sound like a routine? If that's wrong I don't want to be right. Leave the superstitions for the goalies.

3. If you could compare yourself to an NHL player, who would it be and why?

I like to model my play after Bergeron, he's an absolute rocket and a wonderful guy. Definitely a role model of mine growing up.

4. IF your player was to get involved with a celebrity (relationship wise), who would it be??? ;) 

I'm not sure I could handle the chants... Fisher getting blasted last year with the "Mrs. Underwood" chants was too good though. I don't have time to check out who's on the market but I feel like I could go for a TSwift song written about me.

5. Any suggestions as a new member to improve the site, make things easier or to better accommodate you?

I think the portal update is pretty huge for new members, I was pretty apprehensive of the forum update posts when I first joined. Nothing else really sticking out to me other than maybe reworking the draft system as waiting for forum posts by each GM isn't nearly as exciting as I thought it might be.

• 1 month later...

1. thoughts on your previous season?

2. thoughts on the trade sending you to Seattle?

3. which player are you most excited to play with on Seattle?

4. Best memory in Toronto?

5. Expectations for Davis in his first season with the Bears?

@Reives

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissioner
On 10/7/2018 at 11:33 PM, Banackock said:

1. thoughts on your previous season?

2. thoughts on the trade sending you to Seattle?

3. which player are you most excited to play with on Seattle?

4. Best memory in Toronto?

5. Expectations for Davis in his first season with the Bears?

@Reives

1. You really can't be disappointed after going essentially a PPG in your rookie season. Smirnov absolutely ran away with the rookie title so that's unfortunately a trophy I'll never be able to hold but now I'm just ready for this season.

2. I was excited and nervous at first but after these first few games with the new crew I'm really looking forward to where we can go this season. It's also nice to see that Toronto is doing decently well after making some other big off season moves.

3. Currently I'm just loving watching McAllister play for this squad. He's such a force on the ice and is heading for some pretty big milestones. Hopefully before the season is up we get to spend a bit of time on the same line but the team chemistry right now is off the charts.

4. Probably getting my first Gordie Howe hat trick against the Meute. I actually think I had 2 goals that game so it was an amazing night. 

5. My expectations are high after these first few games, I'm buzzing at just over 2 points a game and realistically, with this team, I can see myself getting somewhere close to 120. 

1. Store Manager seems like a rough job in the offseason. Are you happy to be done with it now?

2. How's Yukon doing so far?

3. Would you want to step up as a GM of a VHLM team after a couple seasons as an AGM?

4. How satisfied are you with Davis' start of the season?

5. Your Bears recently played a season worth of games against the Americans and you won all but 2 games. Do you feel for them?

1. What are your thoughts so far on the season for the Bears?

2. Surprised with how your player is doing? 

3. How do you feel you and Seattle will finish the season?

4. How have you liked playing in Seattle so far?

5. What are the chances they win the cup and if so, who do you think they face? 

+1 Smirnov

• 1 month later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Reives

• Commissioner
On 10/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, McWolf said:

1. Store Manager seems like a rough job in the offseason. Are you happy to be done with it now?

Absolutely, during the season it's far less upkeep but I also think I set myself up for a lot of success next off-season. The addition of the brand's and how that was going to play in with my system. It's been interesting but I think it all came together pretty well.

2. How's Yukon doing so far?

Yukon has absolutely lit it up this season and I'm so very proud. Barzal did an awesome job the last season and this draft to set us up for success and we've definitely had some as we finished off with the best record.

3. Would you want to step up as a GM of a VHLM team after a couple seasons as an AGM?

Always open to it and hoping that opportunity comes up about as soon as I'm expecting it to.

4. How satisfied are you with Davis' start of the season?

I've had an unreal start but definitely tapered off at about the 25% point. Still there has been a bit of improvement and it's been excellent especially considering I went from a first line role to a second line role.

5. Your Bears recently played a season worth of games against the Americans and you won all but 2 games. Do you feel for them?

Not at all. This is what you need to be prepared for when you enter the show and frankly, we're going to take all of the points that we can get.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Banackock said:

1. What are your thoughts so far on the season for the Bears?

Well I'm playing catch up on interview questions but I'll have to say that obviously the Bears had a lot of success this season. We finished within a couple of pts of taking the regular season title and that's something you have to be proud of. Would have been nice to finish on top though.

2. Surprised with how your player is doing? 

I was a bit surprised at the start of the season as we came out of the gate swinging but it's been pretty steady production since then. Our whole team has benefited from some great play so far.

3. How do you feel you and Seattle will finish the season?

First or second in the league is my guess. Gabe has been an absolute stud and at this rate he'll just carry us all the way to the cup. I was hoping to hit 100 pts this season but now I have a target for next.

4. How have you liked playing in Seattle so far?

Love it, great group of people to play with. Doesn't seem like there's a selfish person on the team and a lot of communication and feedback on how things are going. Interesting to be on a contender.

5. What are the chances they win the cup and if so, who do you think they face? 

I think there is a good chance we'll make it to the finals and probably be playing Riga. In that match up I think we'll take it.

+1 Smirnov

22 minutes ago, Banackock said:

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

They both just bring their cell phones and have a twitter war. I think Trudeau wins but Trump still gets popular vote somehow and self-proclaims he's the winner. Basically everyone leaves disappointed and feeling used.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

Like all meat I'm guessing. Why you gotta make me think now I'm starving :S

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

Honestly the only sport I really follow is hockey and I'm from Winnipeg so the Jets!

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

Fuck - Margot, Kill - Beyonce, Marry - Blake. I have a type, let's just leave it at that. Lol.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

Image result for south park cycle

@Reives

12/3 - Claimed 6/15

Edited by Reives