Shorter Seasons v2

Good idea or bad?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

“Hey guys we all know that the middle of the regular season is the deadest and most boring part of the season here. My suggestion is that we add one additional game sim day to each day’s sims. This would effectively cut the season in 1/3 making each day that much more exciting. 

A suggestion by @Quik since everyone will ask where will my extra couple weeks of TPE earnings come from? Is that right smarch smack(bad joke) in the middle of the season would be a doubles week for everyone thus negating the shorter season. 

What do people think?”

That was my original post.

I believe this idea would work x2 as well now since the portal system was implemented. 

Im going to post key posts from the last thread below to stimulate the discussion.

@Quik

I think 1 less week of sims, with more actual games added to the schedule (including a 10-game pre-season, simmed over 2 days) would create a lot more excitement on the board, and a full doubles week (all capped TPE is worth double, and cap is 24 vs. 12) should make up for the lost PT week.

None of that affects turn-around time in the off-season, which may actually need to be increased by a day or 2 anyway, especially with some of the things being discussed in the BOG.

See above, I definitely think a pre-season is needed to get lines/strategies in place. Plus, an extra bunch of games to see doesn't hurt either.

Short version of the above.

Regular season increased to 82 games.

Shorten regular season by 1 week.

1 Free Doubles week in middle of season to create activity aswell as catch up on TPE with the shortened week.

This was one of my suggestions when the league did that 5 ideas thing a while ago, I think it'd be worthwhile whether there was a double weeks/makeup TPE or not.

Disagree with increasing the games per season though, like having the consistency for stat purposes.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

5 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

This was one of my suggestions when the league did that 5 ideas thing a while ago, I think it'd be worthwhile whether there was a double weeks/makeup TPE or not.

Disagree with increasing the games per season though, like having the consistency for stat purposes.

The games increase would change the stats but it’s he same thing that happend to the nhl when it increased to 82 games. Doesn’t change the legends that have records back then. 

82 games would be nice beacuse then you can compair your players to the pros which in my opinion is worth the change.

I don't know about extending the season games-wise. It's been 72 games per season forever, so it would really mess with VHL history. You've have to call it the 72 game era and the 82 game era.

Although I always found it interesting to make it 82 games, to compare it to NHL performances. I think old heads would be against it though.

50 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I don't know about extending the season games-wise. It's been 72 games per season forever, so it would really mess with VHL history. You've have to call it the 72 game era and the 82 game era.

Although I always found it interesting to make it 82 games, to compare it to NHL performances. I think old heads would be against it though.

The oldies are against all change that has to do with stats unfortunately :( 

You are talking 2 weeks of pickems gone, trivia gone, 2 weeks of PTs at 12 points so it’ll need to change all 4 weeks the season to doubles weeks and it still won’t cover it

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Beaviss said:

The oldies are against all change that has to do with stats unfortunately :( 

I think you need to get out of this mindset that we’re opposed to anything that could affect stats. Hell, I have suggested multiple times sealing off the old record books and starting new ones. We’re not opposed to all change, just sometimes there is no major reason to change so why should we mess with the stats and stuff just to make changes for the sake of it?

Like this for example. Shortening the season by simming more is basically countered by adding more games so why would we do both? We take out a week of simming but add in another 3-4 days to make up the extra 10 games.

Indont kind the idea of a faster season or the idea of 82 games so we can compare to the Pro’s better but there’s no real reason to do both IMO. Especially since the balance of the league is based around x amount of TPE in a given season and that is based on a season averaging 8 weeks.

As for @Bushito‘s complaint: we could probably do a full double week to make up for it which would be kinda fun. A week where literally everything gets doubled. That only accounts for 1 week taken from the sim though. I imagine something like this would remove more than 1 week. As it stands, on average, each team gets 2 games per sim. That means 36 days of simming or roughly 5 weeks (regular season only). Increasing that to 3 games per team per day means 24 days aka 3.5 weeks so we’d drop 1.5 weeks off the season just with the change to regular season and not touching playoffs.

The problem with the logic of us being able to compare ourselves better to the pros with an 82 game season is that a lot of the VHL players already have more total ice time in a season than the NHL pros even with the ten less games (the vast majority of our forwards played over 1900 minutes, the most played by an NHL forward last season was Kopitar who played 1810 minutes), giving the VHL players an extra 200-300 minutes a season would actually make for a worse statistical comparison (e.g. With an extra ten games, Chase Keller would have played a total of 2606 minutes, upping the games won't help comparing him to NHL forwards who've played at least 800 less minutes).

Not opposed to a quicker simmed season, but I don't think there's a good reason to up the number of games.

Edited by Tagger

As a GM in the SBA, I can say that the 8 week season is practically perfect, but can be exhausting if you're really active in terms of draft research, the administrative side (contracts/budgets, lines, posting TCs, etc.), and trade talks.  Shortening the seasons would probably be a great way to burn out GMs, and I think there've already been issues with getting and keeping quality GMs... but that's just my perception, and isn't necessarily a fact.

• 1 year later...

V3

The amount of games stay the same just three games are simmed a day instead of 2.

Shorter seasons = more buzz = less tpe helping counter inflation.

• Commissioner
22 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

V3

The amount of games stay the same just three games are simmed a day instead of 2.

Shorter seasons = more buzz = less tpe helping counter inflation.

On occasion we do that, just depends how many games per day STHS wants to spit out. If I have back to back days with like 2 games I’ll throw a third one in.

Just now, Beketov said:

On occasion we do that, just depends how many games per day STHS wants to spit out. If I have back to back days with like 2 games I’ll throw a third one in.

I know im just saying make it so the average is 3 instead of 2 then the season would be a 1 - 2 week reduction of the season which would help fight inflation and also make more action on the site.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, Beaviss said:

since everyone will ask where will my extra couple weeks of TPE earnings come from? Is that right smarch smack(bad joke) in the middle of the season would be a doubles week for everyone thus negating the shorter season. 

But don't we already have that with the themed PT lmao

Isn't a lot of players having 99's one of reasons why this sim engine is spouting nonsense results too often? If so, I could be fine with the update scale change. Like even a solid but not a TPE whore can get 99's without too hard work. 

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, hedgehog337 said:

Isn't a lot of players having 99's one of reasons why this sim engine is spouting nonsense results too often? If so, I could be fine with the update scale change. Like even a solid but not a TPE whore can get 99's without too hard work. 

It makes the next engine up go berserk but there isn’t much proof, if any, that it has negative effects on the current engine.

27 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It makes the next engine up go berserk but there isn’t much proof, if any, that it has negative effects on the current engine.

Yeah I'd actually argue the current level of randomness is pretty spot on, honestly. Sometimes weird things happen, but then again that also happens in real life (as another Lightning fan bursts into tears). Good teams win more often than not, but not always.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:07 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

Still feel pretty solid about this take.