Shorter Seasons v2

Good idea or bad?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin
2 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Yeah I'd actually argue the current level of randomness is pretty spot on, honestly. Sometimes weird things happen, but then again that also happens in real life (as another Lightning fan bursts into tears). Good teams win more often than not, but not always.

Still feel pretty solid about this take.

Yeah I feel most people complaining about the last few seasons haven’t come to terms with the fact all 10 teams have rosters which would make the playoffs five seasons ago.

• Commissioner

Honestly the first games were posted July 12th, not even 3 weeks ago, and we’re basically halfway through the season. That definitely doesn’t feel insanely rushed to me, seems pretty on par for a decent time frame. Everyone loves to say that they want to rush through everything but they never like what comes after so why bother rushing? “The regular season is boring, let’s get to the playoffs” followed by “half the teams aren’t even playing, let’s get to the off-season” followed by “this is taking too long, where are the sims? Let’s get to the Season”. Speeding things up won’t change how things work. ~6 weeks/ regular season isn’t bad at all IMO.

Cutting 2 weeks out per season means cutting out ~4.5 months over a full career; just seems like a good way to rush through careers to me and it means GM’s have less opportunity to make any kind of adjustments which is even more important for the VHLM GM’s who’s rosters are changing on a basically daily basis. I’m sure everyone will just scream “old guard” at me but honestly I think this is one of those “if it ain’t broke” kinda moments. There’s no logical reasoning aside from a minor amount of reduction in inflation which would be countered anyway.

I think there should, instead of force retiring after 8 seasons, we should just have incredibly steep TPE fall-off. And I'm also in favor of steeper TPE brackets to make it much harder to get to 99 in any stat (I had 99 Skating before stepping on VHL ice). I just wish the weeks went faster, regardless of games simmed. However, if we were to sim more games per day, I would definitely want a complete Doubles Week to counter the lost week of TPE.

I think the season length is fine, I wouldn't mind seeing it shortened but I'm alright with how it is now.

Another wrinkle to shortening the season is that the trade deadline would have to happen more games into the season, if it moves up to compensate for in-game days passing quicker it gives TD creates more of an advantage over those that create later on, say from the offseason recruiting drives.