S61 Draft VHLers [1/2]

S61 Rookie Standouts

For this media spot, I'll be taking a look at some of the top players who went straight to the VHL from the S61 Entry Draft.

Edwin Preencarnacion :rig: - 6th Overall

This version of Edwin is who I will talk about first, considering he leads all rookies in points. At this point of the season 43 games in, he is ranked #1 in all rookies, and #9 throughout the whole VHL. He has 31 goals and 27 assists for 58 points, which is quite the amazing feat for a rookie. Hell, that's a good point production from a rookie if he had that over 72 games, never mind having it at 43. With his 31 goals, he is also #5 in goal scoring in the VHL. This is among the competition of guys like Gabriel McAllister or Chase Keller. He is Riga's #1 stud, and at 6th overall in the draft is looking like quite a steal.

Podrick Cast :rig: - 3rd Overall

I guess this will come as not much of a surprise, but it's none other than Preencarnacion's teammate that holds down the #2 spot among rookies. Pod has 56 points, only 2 less than Edwin, and that is 11th overall in the VHL. He has 26 goals, holding down the #8 spot in the league. Edwin and Podrick have quickly become a dynamic duo in the league, letting everyone else know that they mean business. Once the Reign get through their rebuild a little more, they should be scary with these 2 players already locked down and performing well in their debuts.

Matt Thompson :sea: - 1st Overall

Going 1st overall in a draft usually comes with a heavy weight on your shoulders, and Thompson has been decent so far. In 43 games, he has put up 36 points, which is clearly a ways away from the tops among rookies. This is #3 in the rookie category, which is still good, and nothing to be worried about. Thompson does not have a partner with skill alongside him like Cast and Preencarnacion have, so it's not that surprising that his point production is much less. Those 36 points are good for 27th overall in the VHL. One asset that he has brought this season that those other 2 players have not is a bit of a defensive side. Matt is #5 in the shots blocked category with 98 so far.

Samuel Gate :que: - 2nd Overall

Gate came in to the league at 2nd overall as a defenseman, unlike the three forwards I just talked about. He is #4 among rookies and has 36 points, which is on par with Matt Thompson. The Quebec City Meute have an elite franchise defenseman in the making here with Sammy Gate, and at this point in his development, 36 points looks great. Although, it is a little surprising considering he looks to be around some skilled players compared to Edwin and Podrick in Riga, but it is what it is. 36 points gives Samuel the #4 spot as a rookie, and even #9 among all VHL defensemen. His 33 assists is also tied for #7 in the VHL, matched with Pablo, Bourdon, and Federov. He also has 88 shot blocks, which is 8th in the league.

From what we can see here, there are definitely a lot of players out of the S61 draft that have made an immediate impact, with a couple of Reign players out-performing in comparison to what has been expected. I look forward to looking back at these players in the coming seasons.