Ryuu Crimson's Biography [1/2]

Early Life and Little Leagues

Ryuu Crimson was born on June 21, 2000. His name, Ryuu, meant dragon and he was born in the Peter Lougheed Hospital. His mother, Sarah, was a registered nurse who worked for AgeCare, and his father, Kasashi, was a hockey player playing abroad in his home country Japan. His parents moved to Southwest Calgary and there Ryuu Crimson was born. His father was a role model to Ryuu and he wanted to be a hockey player just like his dad. He would watch the Calgary Flames and was a big fan of the Calgary Flames Captain Jarome Iginla, he still has his Jarome Iginla Card and his Jersey hanging up in his room right now. It wasn't hard for him to convince his mother to let him play, because his mom already knew what life was like with a hockey player and was happy to see her son have his dad as a role model. Ryuu Crimson and his dad would go to the ice rink and practice stickhandling, shooting and the basics but his dad would always help him practice fighting, hitting and his checks. When Crimson was 5, his dad went abroad to play in Japan and would always send his dear son videos and pictures of his games. Ryuu Crimson admired Flames' Captain Jarome Iginla and would watch his games to try to copy him. What was strange was that he wanted to be a Left Wing, while Jarome Iginla was a Right Wing. Ryuu Crimson was ready to be a hockey star.

Ryuu joined a hockey team in his local ice rink when he was 10 and he was on fire. He got at least one point every game and his he had an ironman streak of 69 (hehe) games. He was one of their star forwards and almost started an actual fight. He racked up a total of 28 goals by the end of the season. When this kid was on the ice, all you could hear were goal horns. He had the most assists in the league and the most collective points in team history. He continued to grow, scoring goals and scoring penalty minutes. Then, when he was 13, he joined the CBHA Wranglers and won a championship. He continued to play and loved the game.

High School Life

image.thumb.jpeg.e83ed9672558a43e6b013e8b3493d977.jpeg

Ryuu Crimson played with the Junior A Team, the Calgary Wranglers. He played with them for a season, getting 29 goals and 39 assists, before a tragic Accident happened. On October 21, 2016, while coming home from a game, Crimson and fellow teammate Robert King were in an accident involving 5 cars. A drunk driver hit their car on Robert's side on the highway, and then a pile-up happened. Both exited the car. Crimson made it safely out, while Robert King got buried under the wreck, killing him. Ryuu had injuries and required surgery, and didn't play for the rest of the season as a result. Once he recovered, he joined the Swift Current Broncos for half of the season but due to his injuries, he played with the Nipawin Hawks for the second half. He came back with the Swift Current Broncos and scored 10 goals and 25 assists. As you can see that is a drastic change. The Swift Current Broncos notice that change and brought him down from the first line. In his last season with them, he had a drastically less amount of playing time, and he thought about hanging the skates.

The Light Called the VHLM

image.jpeg.f2c0b445be98bb521dbe43470d644c8a.jpeg

Ryuu Crimson was kind of depressed due to nobody wanting him on their team and because of the lack of playing time. He was gonna retire and go to college to become a programmer until he got an email. He read it and was overjoyed. The Saskatoon Wild wanted him. He had heard about and watched the VHL, watching the Wranglers at the 'Dome and admiring Americans player Sergei Komarov, but he gave up hope of going there and didn't know about the Victory Hockey League Minors. So Ryuu Crimson was overjoyed and he packed his bags and went to Saskatoon, after visiting his family in Calgary and celebrating the news. His dad even came after he heard, and they had a family hockey game for fun. His sister, Tsui Crimson, joined the Calgary Inferno in the CWHL and his younger brother, 10 years old, wore the number 12 for the CBHL Wranglers. Tsui Crimson, Tsubasa Crimson, Ryuu Crimson and the father, Kasashi Crimson, are all Left Wings. Tired of being a sitting duck, Crimson trained right away and tried his best. He did skating drills. Legends say that at night at the pond, all you could hear were the sounds of pucks hitting crossbars, skating, and even the rare sound of shouting and celebrations. Crimson had to apologize to a lot of locals for disturbing the peace. He was happy when he was told that he was gonna be top line. The day came when he got his First Goal in 2 seasons. After struggling with shooting Ryuu Crimson got the goal in game 81 of the Victory Hockey League's 61st season. The goal was against the Las Vegas Aces, in which he got his second point and his first goal in the VHLM. It was the first goal the Wild made that game. The crowd went Wild (yes pun intended). After the game, still wondering if this was a dream, he called his dad on FaceTime who told him how proud he was of his son. And as if it was fate, Kisashi Crimson, the father, also got the first goal in his league. He will never forget hearing the goal horn and the announcement of his name. Soon, Ryuu Crimson would get his second goal of his Victory Hockey League Minor career, not as exciting as the first but still something to be proud of.

Despite the challenges, mistakes, sadness, disappointment, loss, and events in his life, he embraces his past like an old friend. He wants to be the best player he can be, and loves hockey. In the VHLM, he wouldn't want to play for any other team other than the Saskatoon Wild.

How should I know? Well, it would be sad if I didn't know my own story.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Review: I like anytime that someone discusses adversity outside of the norm in a biography, such as in this one. I do think that you discussed too many stats and season results for a biography, and I would have liked to have heard some more about his home life and some other background information. The formatting was pleasant and easy on the eyes, I dig how you went through the trouble of getting (or making?) an actual mockup of a Sask jersey.

On August 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Enorama said:

Review: I like anytime that someone discusses adversity outside of the norm in a biography, such as in this one. I do think that you discussed too many stats and season results for a biography, and I would have liked to have heard some more about his home life and some other background information. The formatting was pleasant and easy on the eyes, I dig how you went through the trouble of getting (or making?) an actual mockup of a Sask jersey.

Thanks dude, appreciate the feedback!