A Store Dilemma [1/2]

Tagger

Note: I actually wrote the majority of this article several weeks ago while I was waiting for the points of my media posted in advance to finally run out, so if any of the information in this article seems out-of-date, then that is the reason why.

So as some of you may have noticed, I’ve recently taken over as the Player Store manager, a role I held from S42-S46 that I then left to focus on my new role as the Americans General Manager. The store hasn’t changed all that much since I left; the only things that have really changed are the removal of the welfare purchases (which given how close welfare is to PT level at this moment are completely right to be removed) and the Mag combo (which I just did because, well there is no mag to be on the cover of…) and the addition of a first-gen purchase. But to be honest, the fact that it hasn’t changed can be considered more of a problem than a relief. See while the store hasn’t changed much since I left it, the league most certainly has and, quite simply, the purchases in the store just don’t line up right with what the league has become. Here’s the main issue; the two attribute point purchase is OP. When it was introduced to the store, the two attribute point purchase was only worth (at its maximum) the equivalent of 8 TPE. This made it only really an appealing purchase for those who didn’t need purchases to make the TPE cap and didn’t have faith in their predictions. It made more sense for those who needed purchases to make the TPE cap to buy the VHL.com/PT upgrades, and that was a good thing as we wanted to encourage more people to do those activities. Now though, that purchase that was once worth 8 TPE is now capable of being worth 20 TPE. In turn, this has made the other purchases a lot less appealing; a player who buys Triple Award predictions for the same price will have to get 11 correct answers (something only one person has done since Season 50) to make it a better investment and the 20 TPE for the $5M 2 point purchase at its max is actually now exactly equal in value to the VHL.com/PT Upgrade purchases (4 points per $1M), and has the additional benefit of being uncapped.

There’s also an issue at this moment of the store for whatever reason is just not appealing enough for people to use. I’m not sure whether it’s because of the inconsistent maintaining of the store over the past ten or so seasons or another different reason, but purchase numbers are significantly down from the numbers we saw back when the store was operating at its most efficient. Maybe a way of implementing the store (and in turn finances) into the portal would help encourage people to use it?

I’m trying to think of some solutions before we head into Season 62 to make it so that the store doesn’t lean quite so heavy onto one specific item (and I’m sure the BOG will be doing the same), but right now this is definitely something that needs amending.

30 minutes ago, Tagger said:

There’s also an issue at this moment of the store for whatever reason is just not appealing enough for people to use. I’m not sure whether it’s because of the inconsistent maintaining of the store over the past ten or so seasons or another different reason, but purchase numbers are significantly down from the numbers we saw back when the store was operating at its most efficient. Maybe a way of implementing the store (and in turn finances) into the portal would help encourage people to use it?

At least this is the case for me - if the attribute point purchase is OP, then the Old People purchases are even more so (to the point where I'm regretting even making this public). I know I've been hoarding cash to get a Jagr next season (saves 48 TPE in McAllister's 7th season) and the Old But Not Forgotten after that (close to 100 TPE in 8th season). I've seen a good number of people doing the same.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

• Senior Admin

I have been meaning to start a real discussion on Player Store reform. I do plan on encorporating it into the portal, but given that it really needs to be overhauled I want to wait until that happens so I know exactly what the portal version needs to do. 

So I'm open to all ideas really 

Review

I have never bought a single thing from the store that wasn't the Jagr or the Old but not Forgotten because it really is OP to save so much TPE especially with the new update scale. I regret like CIA bringing it up because it really does save so much TPE where the other store options aren't even interesting. Either the other store options need to be improved enough or we need to make Old but not forgotten not so OP. i think something in the middle would be great tbh