18/19 football/soccer discussion

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

I don't remember who you support so I don't have a witty comeback. Chelsea?

Yep -- remember when Chelsea winning the Champions League forced Spurs to sell their two best players lol.

My brother is a Spurs supporter so I have a lot of ammo for them

Edited by Tyler

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Yep -- remember when Chelsea winning the Champions League forced Spurs to sell their two best players lol.

My brother is a Spurs supporter so I have a lot of ammo for them

I might not because I only really started following for the 14/15 season.

Something something Russian funded money club something something racists.

Am I doing this right?

1 minute ago, Fire Hakstol said:

And tbf as an American I couldn't give two shits about the FA Cup or the League Cup, even if Spurs win.

Why not? FA Cup is decent football usually by the time you get to the semi's at least. League Cup has become a bit of a joke, though.

3 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

I might not because I only really started following for the 14/15 season.

Something something Russian funded money club something something racists.

Am I doing this right?

Spurs finished 4th I think in the Premier league in 2012 and Chelsea finished 6th. But because Chelsea won the Champions League they were automatically in next year's competition which knocked Spurs out lol. As a result they had to sell Modric and Bale.

Just now, Tyler said:

Spurs finished 4th I think in the Premier league in 2012 and Chelsea finished 6th. But because Chelsea won the Champions League they were automatically in next year's competition which knocked Spurs out lol. As a result they had to sell Modric and Bale.

Oh I knew that, but I figured given Spurs statue at the time we would have lost Bale anyway and most likely Modric too.

1 minute ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Oh I knew that, but I figured given Spurs statue at the time we would have lost Bale anyway and most likely Modric too.

Yeah I think Redknapp was leaving after the season anyway so it's tough to say. They both wanted Champions League which was the main driver away.

1 minute ago, Tyler said:

It's alright though because Spurs have won loads of trophies with the money they got from selling to Madrid :pierre:

I mean...I guess this is what I'll never understand. Obviously there's no salary cap or anything about any sort of forced parity or leveling of the playing field. Tottenham are not on the same financial level of either of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea, and probably not Arsenal or Liverpool either. I don't really see what's worth bragging when you can spend near unlimited amounts of money (the first three at least) to improve your club. 

It's no secret Spurs have been pulling above their financial weight given their shrewd transfers and player development. It's the only way we can hope to compete with the clubs who have even more resources available. Now obviously this is all relative to where you stand in the overall soccer pyramid given Tottenham  buy from other clubs "below" them both foreign and domestic, but this is kind of how I see it.

It's not like the Eagles winning the Super Bowl on a relatively even playing field. Same cap for everyone, no or relatively few owners not willing to spend money on salary, etc...