Vega retires

iRockstar

Not ideal for me, I love Dollar and I know he's going to be mad at me for this, but the new updating, I don't like it, at all. I don't like it being moved off the site, so it is what it is. I know you guys like it, I'm not asking you to change it, but it's not for me. 

Thanks for welcoming me back, maybe one day I'll care to like it and return ❤️ 

29 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Damn sucks but the updating on the portal is super easy lol.

It was brand new to me but figuring it out was ez pz. 

Tbh I definitely prefer updating on the forum, though overall I recognize the advantage of using the portal for updating so I think it's better this way. With the portal updating, though, I just more consistently feel like I'm forgetting things.

11 minutes ago, iRockstar said:

I am GMing, just not having a player. 

Fair enough just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something

• Commissioner

We knew that we couldn’t please everyone with it but having it 1 click away was as easy as we could do. Personally I think the benefits far and above outweigh the inconvenience but there will always be people resistant to change. I’m sorry to hear you feel that change warrants an actual retirement but ultimately the league cannot stay the same forever, it must move into the future if it intends on growing. Doing things the same way they were done in 2005 wasn’t sustainable. People were resistant to STHS at the beginning too because it was new, now everyone uses it or some version of it for their specific sport. I imagine in time an update tool like ours will be the same thing. Less work, more reward.

Anyway, hopefully in time you can embrace the change. For now I just hope you can enjoy your time without having a player.

• Senior Admin
11 hours ago, street said:

Tbh I definitely prefer updating on the forum, though overall I recognize the advantage of using the portal for updating so I think it's better this way. With the portal updating, though, I just more consistently feel like I'm forgetting things.

11 hours ago, Bushito said:

I hate it as well. It’s not hard, I just don’t like it. I’ve updated once so far since we switched. Big update but still.

I'm happy to look at any suggestions/feedback to improve things, more than willing to try my best to do anything that might improve the 'user experience'. As for forgetting things - you have your update logs where it should be just easy to look back on what you've claimed as it was to dig through your old update thread, but I guess its just that its not right on the forum like your update thread? I will try to think of some ways to remind people of what they have/haven't claimed. 

I would say, right now, I think the portal system is at its best when you're doing consistent updates weekly or even more frequently (i.e. as soon as you earn points). I think handling larger multi-week updates is probably its weakest point. 

1. I agree, but only 25%. I don’t mind the new way. The error code was annoying and I don’t like how we now input stats somewhat.. having to wait to be approved. 

2. I do prefer the old way a little better. 

3. IR goes inactive 4 times a year. 

9 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Fuck.

Well, you do you, @iRockstar.

I mean, obviously this sucks as I was hoping you'd be a great player, after promises of not to worry, etc. But it is what it is. Good luck in GMing, and I hope you have fun with that.

Oh god, welcome to my experience on here, buddy. 

Good GM - you’ll push through. Would have been a nice pick that worked out but expected slightly too. 

• Senior Admin

Also @iRockstar, I see you haven't linked your player to the portal which also means you haven't even got to look at the actual update system on the Portal, so can't help but feel you haven't given really it a fair shot. Yes it is technically off-site, but you login using your forum account with the click of a button and stay logged in so long as your logged into the forum, so I see it as an...extension of the forum. Unfortunately having it separate is more or less a necessity, but I think the massive increase in functionality far outweighs the cost of having it separate - I mean the fact that we can update the sim in 1 minute flat is enough for me personally but there's many more benefits. I look at it sort of like the STHS index, it's almost a separate site and its an extra tab to have open, but we live with it. 

Regardless, I am looking at ways to at least lessen the divide between the two. Something simple I'm considering is just having a 'Update Player' link at the top of the Forum which would open a page on the Forum containing a window to the Portal's Player Management page, which in turn contains everything you need to update your player and apply TPE. Only thing holding me back on that atm is that we'd have to shell out $100 to IPB for the extension that would allow me to create such a page. 

Anyways, I've linked and approved you player to your account for you. I think you should at least go here and give it a try before finalizing your retirement.

• Senior Admin
9 minutes ago, Banackock said:

1. I agree, but only 25%. I don’t mind the new way. The error code was annoying and I don’t like how we now input stats somewhat.. having to wait to be approved. 

Yeah, I think the extra step is one of the top complaints -- having to submit your updates and then go back to apply your TPE, rather than doing it all in one and THEN waiting for it all to be approved. The easiest thing I can do to help this is notify people when their updates are approved so that they can go back and apply the TPE, I'm working on that currently.

But I do also have some plans to bypass the approval process, at least for some items. I mean look at welfare - there's actually zero need for that to go through the approval queue or be 'claimed' on the forum at all. It doesn't need to be checked for a word count or anything, and claiming it on the Portal already does all the validation you need before it ever goes to the update queue - it won't allow you to claim it if you already have a PT that week and won't allow you to claim other PT's that week. So realistically it could be a button 'Claim Welfare' that would instantly give you the TPE to apply and absolutely nothing would change. Same with Practice Facility, probably predictions. Possibly job pay too with a little extra work. 

Other things could also be insta-improved in time if we were to incorporate other things into the portal, for example if we automated the Fantasy Zone and VHL Lotteries, TPE earned from those could be added directly to players without even requiring them to be submitted manually let alone waiting for approval. 

So that's all stuff I'm considering to streamline the process :)  

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah, I think the extra step is one of the top complaints -- having to submit your updates and then go back to apply your TPE, rather than doing it all in one and THEN waiting for it all to be approved. The easiest thing I can do to help this is notify people when their updates are approved so that they can go back and apply the TPE, I'm working on that currently.

But I do also have some plans to bypass the approval process, at least for some items. I mean look at welfare - there's actually zero need for that to go through the approval queue or be 'claimed' on the forum at all. It doesn't need to be checked for a word count or anything, and claiming it on the Portal already does all the validation you need before it ever goes to the update queue - it won't allow you to claim it if you already have a PT that week and won't allow you to claim other PT's that week. So realistically it could be a button 'Claim Welfare' that would instantly give you the TPE to apply and absolutely nothing would change. Same with Practice Facility, probably predictions. Possibly job pay too with a little extra work. 

Other things could also be insta-improved in time if we were to incorporate other things into the portal, for example if we automated the Fantasy Zone and VHL Lotteries, TPE earned from those could be added directly to players without even requiring them to be submitted manually let alone waiting for approval. 

So that's all stuff I'm considering to streamline the process :)  

Great effort, good work is all I can say. While I’m maybe not 110% on board and liking it, it looks good - is fairly straight forward and easy. Normal to have some kinks! 

@Will I got an idea.

Make it so updaters can set “trusted” players so then there updates can go through automatically and we can just double check updates and revoke bad ones.

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Banackock said:

I agree, but only 25%. I don’t mind the new way. The error code was annoying and I don’t like how we now input stats somewhat.. having to wait to be approved. 

Obviously that’s the biggest hurtle and we will try to remove it as much as possible but I try to look at it as actually saving us time. Like yeah, you have to go in twice, but they probably get into the aim faster overall. Let’s say I put in my update on a Wednesday, by Thursday morning it’s likely approved and I can apply it. By Friday’s sim it’s in. Not every time but within a few days at least. By comparison, the old system, if you update on Wednesday you “apply” it immediately but then you wait until Sunday for it to hit your player page and then up to another week or more sometimes before it goes into the actual sim. So the wait went from a week or more to a matter of days between doing your update and seeing the results. Well worth to inconvenience I would say.

3 hours ago, Will said:

Also @iRockstar, I see you haven't linked your player to the portal which also means you haven't even got to look at the actual update system on the Portal, so can't help but feel you haven't given really it a fair shot. Yes it is technically off-site, but you login using your forum account with the click of a button and stay logged in so long as your logged into the forum, so I see it as an...extension of the forum. Unfortunately having it separate is more or less a necessity, but I think the massive increase in functionality far outweighs the cost of having it separate - I mean the fact that we can update the sim in 1 minute flat is enough for me personally but there's many more benefits. I look at it sort of like the STHS index, it's almost a separate site and its an extra tab to have open, but we live with it. 

Regardless, I am looking at ways to at least lessen the divide between the two. Something simple I'm considering is just having a 'Update Player' link at the top of the Forum which would open a page on the Forum containing a window to the Portal's Player Management page, which in turn contains everything you need to update your player and apply TPE. Only thing holding me back on that atm is that we'd have to shell out $100 to IPB for the extension that would allow me to create such a page. 

Anyways, I've linked and approved you player to your account for you. I think you should at least go here and give it a try before finalizing your retirement.

Delete this, I'll give it a fair, justified try, but if I don't like it, I'll re-retire. Unless I cannot unretire, then so be it lol. 

4 hours ago, Will said:

claiming it on the Portal already does all the validation you need

To be fair, affiliated claims definitely need to be validated beforehand, just to make sure that it's something that was posted that same week, and in an affiliated league. Also, Pension should be getting verified if people are claiming 5 vs. 4.

46 minutes ago, iRockstar said:

Delete this, I'll give it a fair, justified try, but if I don't like it, I'll re-retire. Unless I cannot unretire, then so be it lol. 

I think in normal circumstances, you'd be hit with a penalty, but given the reason why you retired/un-retired, you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Definition of lazy lmao

Definition of not liking how it works? Sorry, forgot I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Did I say I hated you guys or whatever? Absolutely not. I did not like having to go to another site, etc, when I'm so used to having it done on the forum, etc. So yeah, I'll try it fully, however don't sit here and call me lazy. 

I wasn't sure how I'd like it at first, but I've gotten into the habit of updating whatever I gotta update as soon as it's posted and I find it much, much easier than posting on the forums, especially since 95% of my activity is on mobile.