Nguyen Press Conference

Dtayl

1. How was the team atmosphere in Saskatoon following the early exit from the playoffs?

2. How do you see your stock rising/falling in the days leading up to the draft?

3. Do you have a preference for landing spot among the VHL teams?

4. Will there be a language barrier should you be drafted anywhere?

5. Being from Baltimore, where there is no NHL, who do you root for and why? (please don't say Caps :( )

You seemed to have forged a strong partnership with Ryuu Crimson and he's mentioned that he'd like to play with you whatever team he's drafted to, how's it been sharing a team with Ryuu?

@BarzalGoat

1.) The atmosphere was down for sure, but we all kinda expected to be out early in the playoffs so we didnt take it too hard. After that it was all love cause alot of us knew it was the last time we were gonna play together. 

2.) I think my stock is rising for sure! Im going out every week giving it my all and getting better and I think teams see that. I also think my potential is showing through and helping push me up the draft boards. 

3.) It doesnt really matter to me where I end up. Just getting to the VHL is enough. After that trying to win is the only thing on my mind, no matter the team

4.) I don't think Language will be an issue. There are players from all around the world on every team so I should be able to get around just fine. 

5.) Sorry to disappoint but yeah being from Baltimore im a Caps fan for life. I grew up a caps fan and will always be one. I mean D.C is only 45 minuets from my house and I remember going to games since I was like 3 years old. 

@Tagger

Ryuu is a great guy and is always encouraging everyone. Having him on the team keeps morale up. He is also very humble and is not about stealing the spot light, in fact he often shouts me out to the media, so sharing a team with him is just a delight and I hope we can continue being teammates!

So, you ended up as the first round pick. Does that motivates you more?

Do you feel the pressure as well? [continuation of my last question]

Is Latvia a hockey country?

Were you feeling like a happiest man in the world when I drafted Crimson?

When do you think Riga could become a contender?

1.) Yeah getting picked at 7th definitely motivates me more, because now I want to live up to the expectations that Riga has for me!

2.) Along with that, yeah, the pressure is definitely there but I thrive off that. Part of my extra motivation is from that pressure

3.)Well when most people think hockey countries Latvia isn't on their list but I think the fans in Riga have proven that Latvia is plenty invested in hockey. It really is a great hockey country and im excited to play for Riga. 

4.) When you called Ryuu's name for the 11th pick it was a joyous occasion. I mean he has been my friend since day one with the Wild and for you to draft him was a blessing. I am eternally grateful. 

5.) I think S62 Riga could make a solid push for the playoffs, im not sure if making the playoffs is considered contending. But for sure S63 when the rest of the new draft class is called up Riga will be a powerhouse! 

1. What are your plans for the team this season?

2. How are you feeling in the GM role right now?

3. Being newer, what are your thoughts on the VHL?

4. What things would you implement if you were commissioner of the VHLM?

5. Who do you think will be the best team in the VHLM this season? Who will be the worst?

@Dtayl :) 

When all is said and done, do you think you will have accomplished more in your career than guys picked above you in the draft? Do you want to make Seattle, Toronto, Quebec and Helsinki regret they didn't get you?

On 8/13/2018 at 4:23 PM, Banackock said:

1. What are your plans for the team this season?

2. How are you feeling in the GM role right now?

3. Being newer, what are your thoughts on the VHL?

4. What things would you implement if you were commissioner of the VHLM?

5. Who do you think will be the best team in the VHLM this season? Who will be the worst?

@Dtayl :) 

1. My plans for the team this season are quite simple, WIN! I want to win it all this year and I’m doing everything in my power to make it happen.

2. Transitioning to the GM role and taking over more responsibility with Saskatoon has been great so far, I’ve been trying to learn everything I can. The draft was stressful, but I imagine it was that way for everyone. Other than that Im feeling good handling GM responsibilities

3. So far I’ve loved the VHL. The people here are quite nice and I love writing about hockey and my player. Also the discord chat is fuego!! So yeah, so far so good! I mean i’m online just about every day so you guys are doing something right!

4. If I was commish of the VHLM I’d look into getting contracts for the guys who are drafted into the VHLM but not the VHL. So they can have money to spend too! This means of course looking into expanding the VHLM salary cap past 7M. So yeah that's what i’d focus on.  

5. Looking at who will be best, I am biased, but I think it will be Saskatoon. Ottawa has a solid team after the draft but Saskatoon has brought in some more veteran players and we think that will make the difference. As for the worst, I’m not sure but Halifax might be bad this season, they have a new GM and are an expansion team. Two things that historically do not bode well for a team.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:02 PM, McWolf said:

When all is said and done, do you think you will have accomplished more in your career than guys picked above you in the draft? Do you want to make Seattle, Toronto, Quebec and Helsinki regret they didn't get you?

1. When it's all over and I’m ready to hang up the skates, I will be considered one of the best players in my generation, if not all time. That being said of course I’m going to finish my career better than those drafted above me and if any player tells you otherwise then they don’t believe in themselves. I believe in myself and I know that all the other teams are going to regret not taking me, I’m going to make sure of that.

@Dtayl

1. How do you pronounce your last name? I've heard "Noo-yin" and "Wen", as well as people saying "Nuh-goo-yin".
  2. As a puck mover, is it frustrating for you when teammates don't convert on the plays you set up?
  3. Are you hoping to receive a mid-season call-up to Latvia, or would you prefer to stick in the minors for a full season?
  4. Do you think, with the extra season of development, barring a call-up that would put you past the GP minimum this season, you can contend for the S63 Stolzschweiger Trophy?

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Through 18 games, Saskatoon has looked unimpressive. Can you guys make a late season cup push or is this purely a developmental year?

2.) 1 goal on 33 shots is not good, even for a defender. Is this just a string of bad luck or are you actively working on your shot?

3.) Related, what part of your game are you most focused on improving?

4.) Riga's point differential suggests they have been a bit unlucky so far. With how unimpressive the bottom 5 of the league has been, do you see yourself getting called up for a cup run this season?

5.) Which opposing team's city has the best cuisine? 

@Dtayl

Edited by omgitshim

• 3 months later...

@Dtayl

1. How is life going for you right now?

2. Got anything cool or exciting planned in life right now? Trips etc?

3. Thoughts on your players performance this season?

4. Predict the VHLM finals.

5. Predict the VHL finals. 

:) 

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Dtayl