From Riches to Rags [1/2]

diamond_ace

So it's not quite as iconic a phrase as "Bond, James Bond" but you don't typically hear the name Evan R. Lawson without its accompanying title, CFO of Hank Med. He's a hockey player, you say, so how can he be a CFO, especially of something medical related? He's not, currently, but it's a long story... about 1000 words.

Evan was born in the Hamptons to Eddie and Catherine Lawson, along with his brother Hank. Growing up, neither Evan nor Hank had anything to do with hockey. Evan went to school for finance, eventually becoming an accountant, and Hank was one of the most successful doctors in New York City. Evan always looked up to Hank's success, although he did fairly well himself, and while the brothers had a bit of a good natured rivalry, they were always there for each other when needed. One day, Hank was fired - he treated a poor guy first because his case was medically more dire, and while he was treating the poor guy, a rich guy who was on the hospital's board of trustees died from something that should have been fine. The next few weeks for Hank were miserable, moping around in his apartment, being dumped by his girlfriend, until he received a call from Evan. He wanted to treat his brother to a party back in the Hamptons, where Evan still resided. Hank reluctantly came along, and ended up enjoying himself. As luck would have it, a party guest collapsed and Hank saved her, leading to the owner of the mansion where the party was being held hiring him on as his personal doctor. Hank had earned himself a job and a stay at the guest house of Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz, a German noble worth more than most cities. Eventually, Hank turned that into a concierge medicine practice based out of said guest house, at which time Evan became his CFO, since he had a financial background.

So that explains why Evan has the title CFO of Hank Med, but why hockey? Well, for most of the early years of the Hank Med practice, Evan was your typical 20-something male, chasing women everywhere he went. He ultimately settled down and married Paige Lawson (nee Collins), daughter of a senator, but one of his earlier flings stuck with him in his memory - not necessarily for something particularly intriguing about her as a person, but because she played hockey. He'd obviously seen an average amount of hockey before, through televised games when he was out at a bar or so, but had never played it nor had any interest in playing it until then. He gave it a try mostly to get into her pants. He liked it more than he initially wanted to admit, but it did come easy not to have to fake being interested in it and instead being actually interested. With that on hold for several years while he helped Hank get Hank Med up and running, he'd always kept it in the back of his mind. He had a brief run as a city councilman, since he was still staying in the Hamptons to be around the Hank Med base of operations, but once Hank accepted a new position and left the business in the hands of close friend and associate Jeremiah Sacani, Evan had the opportunity to move wherever he liked, so he decided this would finally be the time to give hockey a shot.

At first, Evan just found a role on a local pickup team, no pressure and no real skill required. He picked it up quickly though, and soon outpaced most of his fellow league members. A scout came to a game once, just because his uncle owned the opposing team, and he watched Evan skate circles around everyone else on the ice. The scout was at that time one of the Buffalo Sabres' scouts, and he knew that no matter how good Evan looked, there was no role for a guy that late in life just learning hockey on an NHL or even AHL roster. However, he had a tie in to another league. The scout had previously been employed by the Bratislava Watchmen of the VHLM. The team ceased operations several years earlier, which is why he had needed to take on a new role with the Sabres, but the VHLM - along with its parent organization, the VHL - had been known for its willingness to take on players at different stages of life, with odd hockey origins, and let them at least see if they had what it took to go pro. Evan and the scout took a trip downstate to the facilities of the New York Americans, and talked to three key figures in getting his start - former star center Clark Marcellin, agent diamond_ace, and the man who was at that time, one of the oddest stories in the VHL, Vaclav Hrdina. Hrdina played at that time for New York so Marcellin was in the area as his personal skills trainer and almost life coach, in a way. These three talked to Evan about the league, the process of getting his start, and the teams they'd each been affiliated with throughout different points in their careers. Marcellin especially had nothing but praise for the Calgary Wranglers, where he spent nearly his whole career.

Finally, he decided to apply for the VHLM, and was able to sign on with the Las Vegas Aces, the same team he'd be drafted to in the following season. The season after that, like so many other players in the history of the diamond_ace agency, he was drafted into the VHL by the Calgary Wranglers, where he still plays to this day. Still at a relatively early stage of his career, he's developed at a decent pace and while he likely won't become a star of the VHL, there's definitely work for him and he's carved out a pretty solid role on a cup contending team. This is how Evan R. Lawson, CFO of Hank Med became Evan R. Lawson, LW of Calgary Wranglers.

1023 words

• 2 months later...

Hi Diamond_Ace

Pros-

Your Biography was riveting, and I'm not just saying that because you are my teammate. I liked how you gave your player an a-typical background for a hockey player and you certainly have a flare for humor in your writing.

Cons-

1023 words may make the player profile requirements but i was sad when I finished reading the article, it was just too good.

I look forward to reading more from you in the future

10/10

On 10/18/2018 at 2:54 AM, BladeMaiden said:

Hi Diamond_Ace

Pros-

Your Biography was riveting, and I'm not just saying that because you are my teammate. I liked how you gave your player an a-typical background for a hockey player and you certainly have a flare for humor in your writing.

Cons-

1023 words may make the player profile requirements but i was sad when I finished reading the article, it was just too good.

I look forward to reading more from you in the future

10/10

7 minutes ago, JG10 said:

Great article man, 1023 words. Only things I think could make it better are a couple pictures and some subtitles. Like the first subtitle could be early life or something like that

While I do have a habit of giving my guys weird backstories, in this particular case I took an existing TV character and his backstory and molded it into something that would lead him into hockey. The paragraph that discusses his background in the non-hockey world is basically just a background on the show Royal Pains, where Lawson is from. The rest, I took creative license and took where the character left off at the end of the show, deciding that at that point, he decided he wanted to become a hockey player, and how he would go about doing that. Some tie-ins in later paragraphs to both the show and my former players.

(Also, @BladeMaiden I'm not currently your teammate - this is an old bio. I was on Vegas when I was in the VHLM, but I'm now in the middle of my VHL career with Calgary, it's been some time since I was with Vegas, although I still have somewhat of a VHLM role as GM of Ottawa. If you get drafted to Calgary, which I know we'll need a goalie soon as Stopko is nearing the end of his career, then I'll be your teammate and I hope something happens to that end.)

1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

While I do have a habit of giving my guys weird backstories, in this particular case I took an existing TV character and his backstory and molded it into something that would lead him into hockey. The paragraph that discusses his background in the non-hockey world is basically just a background on the show Royal Pains, where Lawson is from. The rest, I took creative license and took where the character left off at the end of the show, deciding that at that point, he decided he wanted to become a hockey player, and how he would go about doing that. Some tie-ins in later paragraphs to both the show and my former players.

(Also, @BladeMaiden I'm not currently your teammate - this is an old bio. I was on Vegas when I was in the VHLM, but I'm now in the middle of my VHL career with Calgary, it's been some time since I was with Vegas, although I still have somewhat of a VHLM role as GM of Ottawa. If you get drafted to Calgary, which I know we'll need a goalie soon as Stopko is nearing the end of his career, then I'll be your teammate and I hope something happens to that end.)

Sorry, Imust have missed that. Congrats on your exciting VHL Career! I don't know if anyone can ever replace Stopko, but it is a nice thought that you think i might make a go at it :)  I really enjoyed reading your bio and thanks for letting me know.