Ryan Kastelic Press Conference

Enorama

1) I see you're a rookie, what team are you hoping to join the the VHLM?

2) Favourite team in the NHL?

3) Which hockey player do yo look up to most?

4) What brought you to the VHL? (Character-based answer please, so not like some guy advertised it on youtube or something like that, maybe like, I watched them when I was younger)

5) What are you most excited for?

Hello!

1) Hailing from Slovenia, we used to have a VHLM team based in Bratislava, Slovakia. Not sure about the relationship between the two countries but would that have been your most desirable or least desirable location?

2) You showcased some good graphics to kick off your career, is that the path you see yourself taking for your career or will you occasionally be trying out the Media spots and podcasts?

3) Slapshot asked about the player you looked up to, but is there any player you specifically have modeled yourself around?

4) What are your long term aims with Kastelic?

5) You've not been here long but what's been your favourite thing about the VHL so far?

6) Which Overwatch character do you think would transition best to ice-hockey? (Lucio doesn't count though haha!)

7) Have you been in any other leagues like the VHL before?

4 hours ago, SlapshotDragon said:

1) I see you're a rookie, what team are you hoping to join the the VHLM?

2) Favourite team in the NHL?

3) Which hockey player do yo look up to most?

4) What brought you to the VHL? (Character-based answer please, so not like some guy advertised it on youtube or something like that, maybe like, I watched them when I was younger)

5) What are you most excited for?

1. Bratislava (RIP), probably, I've always had a fascination with the Slavic region. Out of what's left, none of the logos or locations are particularly jumping out at me so I would have to say I'm pretty indifferent on where I end up, I just want to play somewhere.

2. I'll give you one guess... I kid, it's really more of a 1a, 1b, 3 answer. I've liked the Blues for a long time (basically since I got fed up with the Leafs sucking in about '08 and decided to pick a different team) and I initially chose them because I liked Pietrangelo a lot in the world juniors, then there's the Jets because they're my hometown team, if they had still been around while I was growing up, they would definitely be my number 1. My third is basically whatever team EK65 is playing for. I couldn't care any less about the Senators as a whole.

3. To continue off my last answer, it's pretty obviously Erik Karlsson. His skating ability and hockey sense are two things I've always tried to emulate in real life and something I would project into VHL as well.

4. I've been active in some online EHM leagues for about half a year now, and I'm always looking for more things hockey. I liked the idea of how I could affect my player's development by how active I was, since I never felt rewarded for high activity in EHM to date.

5. I'm excited to see Kastelic's career through and where it takes him, maybe smash a few records along the way ;).

On 8/5/2018 at 9:22 AM, Tagger said:

Hello!

1) Hailing from Slovenia, we used to have a VHLM team based in Bratislava, Slovakia. Not sure about the relationship between the two countries but would that have been your most desirable or least desirable location?

2) You showcased some good graphics to kick off your career, is that the path you see yourself taking for your career or will you occasionally be trying out the Media spots and podcasts?

3) Slapshot asked about the player you looked up to, but is there any player you specifically have modeled yourself around?

4) What are your long term aims with Kastelic?

5) You've not been here long but what's been your favourite thing about the VHL so far?

6) Which Overwatch character do you think would transition best to ice-hockey? (Lucio doesn't count though haha!)

7) Have you been in any other leagues like the VHL before?

I'll just answer one of these for this week, then get to the other six tomorrow for next week's tasks.

1. From what I understand (having never actually lived in the region myself), Slovenia's only armed conflict in recent history (barring the world wars) was its war for independence from Yugoslavia. Slovakia was a part of neighbouring Czechoslovakia at the time, and, as far as I understand it, they didn't participate in the conflict. That being said, the region itself is beautiful and full of culture (maybe a little moreso than the Yukon or Vegas), so yes, that would have been my #1.

For the week ending August 12th:

2.  I am honestly totally uncreative, so I will be sticking with graphics because I find it much easier to get creative guidance from others on graphics than on anything writing-related.

3. I guess this goes back to me mentioning Karlsson up in my previous comment, especially his skating. Other players whose play I like to emulate include Trouba (homer), Lidstrom, Orr (the OG), and basically any other smooth-skating, puck-moving defenseman.

4. Long term aims are likely to just get a good feeling for how this league works and such. I would imagine that for my first player (even though from what I understand he can actually play for 8 seasons or something) I won't exactly be breaking any records with him.

5. I like how my activity is rewarded with additional player development, and how I can shape my player basically any way that I'd like.

6. Lucio is definitely the easy one, how dare you take that from me. Ignoring him though, I would imagine that Tracer would be pretty tough to play against if she could carry the puck while blinking, Reaper would be impossible to hit if he could just wraith through anyone, and Roadhog Reinhardt, or even Zarya would just be impossible to take the puck from.

7. I've never played in any sim league as a player. I've been playing in some online EHM leagues as a GM for a while and I've seen some pretty mild success there (my biggest so far being where I finished 30/30 in 2025, made playoffs in 2026, then made conference finals in 2027).

Edited by Enorama
Adding answers for questions 2-7

1. What are your thoughts on the league so far?

2. Does your player have any PREGAME routines? Superstitions? 

3. If you could compare yourself to an NHL player, who would it be and why?

4. What are your goals as a player?

5. Any suggestions as a new member to improve the site, make things easier or to better accommodate you?

@Enorama

On 8/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, Banackock said:

1. What are your thoughts on the league so far?

2. Does your player have any PREGAME routines? Superstitions? 

3. If you could compare yourself to an NHL player, who would it be and why?

5. Any suggestions as a new member to improve the site, make things easier or to better accommodate you?

@Enorama

1. I like it. I especially like how my activity level can directly affect my progression, and even though I've voiced my opinion already on some of the inconsistencies in the compensation system (here's looking at you, welfare/PT), but overall the system works well.

2. No matter what, right comes before left. When he gets dressed, it's right shin pad, then left, then right sock, then left, same with skates, elbow pads, etc. It then also carries onto the ice where every time he steps on or off, he needs to lead with his right foot. If not, then he'll definitely have a bad game or shift.

3. Erik Karlsson. I've hit 70+ in skating, passing, and defending so far. All facets that EK65 is strong in himself. My goal is to one day replicate his rink-length saucer pass to Stone from the 2017 playoffs (you guys know the one I'm talking about). All that I need to do now is find my Mark Stone...

(Skipping 4)

5. All of the new member guides and such need updating. I know Tagger is working his way through some of them and fixing them as he goes and his newsletter is a great resource for newbies such as myself, but the guides (and PT guidelines for that matter) should reflect the most recent info.

3 hours ago, SlapshotDragon said:

1) What do you enjoy most about the VHLM?

2) Any current VHLM players you look up to?

3) What are your goals this season?

4) When you are eligible for the VHL, which team do you wanna go to?

5) Thoughts on your GM?

(Skipping 1-3, for now anyways)

4. The Quebec Meute have a 10/10 logo, and once you couple that with the French Canadian aspect (I'm a bilingual living in Manitoba), that team draws me the most for sure. Based on the organizations, now that I know a little about each of them anyways, I might lean towards someone like Riga, because I feel like their franchise is definitely moving in a better direction, while the Meute and others may be trending down.

5. @BarzalGoat is a nice guy. He's been very realistic and open about his expectations for the season, and him and I both know that this may be my only shot in the VHLM, so he may be shopping myself and Sid at the deadline. Having a shot at competing would be something I would appreciate. 

1.) As arguably the best player on the Rush, how does it feel finding yourself at the bottom of the standings?

2.) Do you think Yukon can turn things around and make a Cup push this season?

3.) There are rumors that you may be a midseason trade target. What can you bring to a contender that they might currently be lacking?

4.) If you are traded this season, is there a destination that you would prefer?

5.) Which of your current teammates would you miss the most if you were traded?

@Enorama

Edited by omgitshim

7 hours ago, omgitshim said:

1.) As arguably the best player on the Rush, how does it feel finding yourself at the bottom of the standings?

2.) Do you think Yukon can turn things around and make a Cup push this season?

3.) There are rumors that you may be a midseason trade target. What can you bring to a contender that they might currently be lacking?

4.) If you are traded this season, is there a destination that you would prefer?

5.) Which of your current teammates would you miss the most if you were traded?

@Enorama

1. That argument might not be so arguable anymore with Sid gone ? but I'm honestly alright with our berth at the moment. My time in the VHLM isn't to focus on winning, but on bettering myself. Which, unfortunately enough, means I just need to focus on my personal production this year to maximize my achievement tracker points, so being on a losing team isn't so bad, especially since I'm basically guaranteed all the minutes.

2. Short answer? No. Long answer? Noooooooooooooooo. In all seriousness, it has become apparent that this year is just not Yukon's year. After all of our best players left for the big league over the offseason, it was pretty clear that this would be a down year for the Rush. I'm impressed that we're even in the running to finish 4th, in all honesty.

3. I have a pretty superb playmaking ability, if I do say so myself. On a struggling team with no real finishers to speak of, I still managed to put up an average of an assist per game up to this point in the season. I'm also currently working on my scoring touch, so I can contribute a couple extra goals to any team interested in picking me up as well.

4. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of ma bois across the league, like @McWolf in OTT or reunite with @SidTheKid87 in LVA, but I would be happy to play for whoever's willing to pay for me. I already told me GM to only trade me if he can secure a phat return, so don't be too surprised to see me wallow in Yukon for a while longer. 

5. Up until a couple hours ago I would have said Sid, but RIP. The only other active player on the Rush is the Greek, who I haven't spoken to at all, so the answer would likely have to be my GM, @BarzalGoat.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, Banackock said:

4. I just want to be the very best, like no one ever was. Actually though, I just want to develop into a slick-skating, puck-moving defenseman who also isn't a liability in my own zone. If I were ever to finish a 76 game season with 0 goals and 76 assists, you could count me as a happy camper. Just set me up on a team full of scoring wingers, and I will make any GM happy.

6 hours ago, Enorama said:

4. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of ma bois across the league, like @McWolf in OTT or reunite with @SidTheKid87 in LVA, but I would be happy to play for whoever's willing to pay for me. I already told me GM to only trade me if he can secure a phat return, so don't be too surprised to see me wallow in Yukon for a while longer.

Yes, a thousand times yes!

• 2 weeks later...

1. How was the transition from being the star of the Rush to being one among others with the Lynx?

2. Do you think you're set for 1st overall in the upcoming draft?

3. Any team you would prefer to be drafted by?

4. How was your experience as a GM for Team Europe?

5. You recently started the NHL Fantasy League. Who are you getting with, let's say, the 2nd pick? McDavid is gone, who's the best of the rest?

6. Are my BHL Flames coming closer to a playoff spot in the upcoming season?

5 hours ago, McWolf said:

1. How was the transition from being the star of the Rush to being one among others with the Lynx?

5. You recently started the NHL Fantasy League. Who are you getting with, let's say, the 2nd pick? McDavid is gone, who's the best of the rest?

2. I really think it's still totally up in the air. It might not necessarily come down to BPA, because if a team needs an elite winger, Borwinn is the only one up there that would really satisfy that need. If they need a defenseman, it would come down to whether they want to gamble on a first gen staying active or go with someone they know is going to field (at the very least) a pretty good player.

5. In a league that counts hits (not sure if we will when all's said and done), I would probably take Ovie. I might surprise people by taking someone like Kuznetsov or Eichel, but I think they're both young guys who will consistently be right at or near the top of the league in points. Gone are the days where Sid was an easy top 1-3 pick, he just isn't consistent enough for a H2H league.

6. Ehh you're probably looking at another year of treading water. You've got a decent core, and decent depth, but there's enough missing pieces still that you might squeak into the playoffs (especially in the weak West), but you likely aren't ready for a deep run. Basically; don't sell off, but don't trade away your 1st either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:05 PM, McWolf said:

1. It was tough at first, but I'm used to being in a more niche role as a shut down guy now. It did hurt my achievement tracker a pretty fair amount though, so if we win the cup I think @diamond_ace owes me the 7 TPE I'm missing out on there ;) 

3. Quebec because of the city and logo, duh. Actually I've been following the big league a bit more lately and Riga seems to be the team on the upswing, that would be a great franchise to play for I think.

4. It was fun. Obviously I wasn't great at it, because the roster should have made us one of the favourites, but I hope I can peg that one on my inexperience and not on me being pegged as a bad GM for life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, hedgehog337 said:

Your thoughts on draft lotto?

Ottawa is up 3-0 in finals series. Do you feel confident we won't blow the lead?

Majority of people are thinking you will go first overall. Do you feel honoured? 

Do you like Kranjska sausage?

Anze Kopitar or Goran Dragic?

1. I think I've aired my opinion before, but I think the new format is better than the 25/25/25/25. I prefer lotteries that give all non-playoff teams (which in this case wouldn't be many, so the wildcard loser makes sense to include), but the odds should at least be slightly scaled to the worst of the teams to avoid situations like uhhhh what just happened.

2. With Kriketers in net, how could we lose? ;) 

3. Of course I'm honoured. I have specific memory of fong saying (back when myself, McWolf, and the other first gens of that wave first started) that there was a slight chance someone might take a flyer on us at 1OA just because they know he goes to welfare after his draft year, but that there was no way any of us would pass him in TPE. I think 3-4 of us did by draft time, which is pretty cool.

4. Not the actual Kranjska, but I grew up in a very Ukrainian area, so I've had its close-ish cousin plenty of times (kielbasa).

5. Basketball is a fake team sport, so Kopitar 10 times out of 10.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:59 PM, Enorama said:

6. The new guy is actually trying to sell off and start over. Nobody's biting yet though so he's getting a little antsy and I fear we might see franchise players start to get sent out for scraps.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, Esso2264 said:

1. What made you sign a brand deal with Jolt Juice?

2. What's your mindset going in for this season?

3. What are your goals for this season?

4. Pineapple on pizza?

5. Are you going to miss the VHLM?

1. Rhett reached out to me immediately and was very enthusiastic about bringing me aboard.

2. Try and cement myself as a mainstay in the big league year one.

3. Win the Continental Cup. Riga has the right mix of rookies and vets this year to get it done.

4. Yes. No vegetables at all though (except spinach). Yes, I know I'm weird.

5. Absolutely. I'm hoping that enough of us new grads came over that we'll bring the fun as well, but things have been pretty quiet so far.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:40 PM, SlapshotDragon said:

1. How do you feel being drafted to Riga?

1. Fantastic, especially going first overall. I've been saying for a while that they seem to have the most promising up-and-coming roster, so I'm looking forward to be a part of it.

1. Do you think that you should've been in first pair instead of Glade?

2. How it is playing with Nguyen and Nano in same pairing?

3. You said you grew up in Ukrainian area. Salo then?

4. Excited for the brands tournament?

5. Why Slovenia football team fell off so hard?

1. Thoughts on your season so far?

2. Do you miss the VHLM?

3. What are your thoughts on the standings so far? Any surprises or is it seeming to go as expected by most?

4. Who are some of the players your excited to play with or against?

5. Predict the VHL playoffs! Who wins? Who is in the finals? Who are the playoff teams?

+1 Kovlahuck 

• 1 month later...

1. Trump and Trudeau have been summoned to fight to the death. Who wins and what's their weapon of choice? Please make me laugh.

2. What stinks when living and smells good when dead? (riddle time, baby)

3. What is your favourite sport? Who is your favourite team? 

4. Fuck one, kill one, marry one - GO! (Blake Lively, Beyonce, Margot Robbie). Google, em.

5. If you could invent something right now, what would your beautiful inventions be?

@Enorama