Excitement ahead of the draft

diamond_ace

There's an abundance of riches in the upcoming VHLM draft, which certainly makes Ottawa Lynx fans happy, with double picks in each of the first three rounds. As the GM, I don't want to offer too much insight of course, with my fellow GMs scanning through every word I write for a hint of an idea of who I'm planning to take at what spots, but I can speak in vague terms on a few topics. There are enough players in this draft that if every player got drafted, even the inactives, it would fill every team's roster to capacity and then some. Fortunately, there are a lot of guys who made their creation post and then were never seen again, or they signed up midseason last year, chatted a bit, and have already left, so it shouldn't be an issue at all. I will make one point though, and I'll reiterate this as a public service announcement after the draft: if you are a new guy, you're active around the forums at all, and you somehow slip through and don't get drafted, say something. Even if it's just a post in the discussion forum, or a PM to our VHLM commissioners @Beaviss and @Toast, or for that matter, a PM to any VHLM GM who can then pass it forward.

On that particular topic, any active guy who does somehow slip through the cracks, with 6 GMs building lists over the past few days up to tomorrow, it's likely because you haven't done really much at all. That is absolutely fine, of course - maybe you signed up then went on vacation, or got sick, or who knows what - but it's of course going to leave us GMs with no real way to distinguish you from the guys who left and don't intend to return. However, this might actually work out in your favor (and odds are, with this large draft class, unprecedented in league history except maybe season 1, 2-3 will manage to avoid detection). You'll become a free agent, able to sign with the team of your choice, out of those who make you offers. Some teams might be in a better position to make an offer than others; Ottawa, for example, is going to be spending all season at or near the roster limit because of our early draft picks and might not be able to offer on too many guys until we have some of our draftees go inactive.

As for the draft itself, there is one particular player I'm targeting and I would really like to be able to acquire. Even in a draft this deep, with this many different players, there's one guy who I think will be a massive difference maker for whichever team drafts him over the teams that don't get the opportunity to. The safe move might actually be to try to trade up, make absolutely sure this guy is a Lynx 17 hours from now. It may come back to haunt me but I'm not going to do that, because the draft is deep enough that he might fall, and I think to an extent he'll be masked by other players, and one team in front of me I don't see taking him anyway. Given the last few sentences, it goes without saying that if this guy is around at 4, I'm taking him without a moment's hesitation. Otherwise, there have been a few guys who I've talked to here and there who I'd like to pick, plus two guys who've specifically come to me expressing interest (these two guys I have a specific draft position in mind for, and will take them at that point if they are available). I will say that I have 67 guys on my draft board currently, guys that even at the very bottom of the board, I'd take them rather than pass (obviously other teams will have opportunities for these players as well). That's probably about all the more I can go into without giving anything away. Good luck to all the draftees, especially my new Lynx tonight.

5 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

There's an abundance of riches in the upcoming VHLM draft, which certainly makes Ottawa Lynx fans happy, with double picks in each of the first three rounds. As the GM, I don't want to offer too much insight of course, with my fellow GMs scanning through every word I write for a hint of an idea of who I'm planning to take at what spots, but I can speak in vague terms on a few topics. There are enough players in this draft that if every player got drafted, even the inactives, it would fill every team's roster to capacity and then some. Fortunately, there are a lot of guys who made their creation post and then were never seen again, or they signed up midseason last year, chatted a bit, and have already left, so it shouldn't be an issue at all. I will make one point though, and I'll reiterate this as a public service announcement after the draft: if you are a new guy, you're active around the forums at all, and you somehow slip through and don't get drafted, say something. Even if it's just a post in the discussion forum, or a PM to our VHLM commissioners @Beaviss and @Toast, or for that matter, a PM to any VHLM GM who can then pass it forward.

On that particular topic, any active guy who does somehow slip through the cracks, with 6 GMs building lists over the past few days up to tomorrow, it's likely because you haven't done really much at all. That is absolutely fine, of course - maybe you signed up then went on vacation, or got sick, or who knows what - but it's of course going to leave us GMs with no real way to distinguish you from the guys who left and don't intend to return. However, this might actually work out in your favor (and odds are, with this large draft class, unprecedented in league history except maybe season 1, 2-3 will manage to avoid detection). You'll become a free agent, able to sign with the team of your choice, out of those who make you offers. Some teams might be in a better position to make an offer than others; Ottawa, for example, is going to be spending all season at or near the roster limit because of our early draft picks and might not be able to offer on too many guys until we have some of our draftees go inactive.

As for the draft itself, there is one particular player I'm targeting and I would really like to be able to acquire. Even in a draft this deep, with this many different players, there's one guy who I think will be a massive difference maker for whichever team drafts him over the teams that don't get the opportunity to. The safe move might actually be to try to trade up, make absolutely sure this guy is a Lynx 17 hours from now. It may come back to haunt me but I'm not going to do that, because the draft is deep enough that he might fall, and I think to an extent he'll be masked by other players, and one team in front of me I don't see taking him anyway. Given the last few sentences, it goes without saying that if this guy is around at 4, I'm taking him without a moment's hesitation. Otherwise, there have been a few guys who I've talked to here and there who I'd like to pick, plus two guys who've specifically come to me expressing interest (these two guys I have a specific draft position in mind for, and will take them at that point if they are available). I will say that I have 67 guys on my draft board currently, guys that even at the very bottom of the board, I'd take them rather than pass (obviously other teams will have opportunities for these players as well). That's probably about all the more I can go into without giving anything away. Good luck to all the draftees, especially my new Lynx tonight.

You gave enough away as it is! @Elhandon GOING FIRST OTTAWA PICK. LOCK IT IN! YOU'RE WELCOME OTHER VHLM GMS!!!!!

13 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

@Spade18 Wrong. I'm being taken first

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:07 AM, diamond_ace said:

Answer in bold.