Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

New Questions for week of Feb 18-24.                                                                                                                                                  

Answer 3 Questions for 1 TPE or 6 Questions for 2 TPE. Enjoy!

1. With the draft being recently how do you feel Halifax made out in comparison to the other teams and does this put us in a good enough spot to compete in your opinion?

2. McWolf and I are really trying to create a positive atmosphere with our private discord locker-room? Have you gotten a chance to try it out yet and if so, what do you think of it and is there anything you would suggest to us for a more positive user-friendly experience?

3. Who is your bestie on the team so far?

4. Captains will be chosen at the end of the week. If you were in charge of picking them, who would be your choices?

5. What are your goals for your player this season?

6. What do you have to offer as a player, or in other words, how do you feel you can help Halifax going forward?

4 hours ago, Thranduil said:

New Questions for week of Feb 18-24.                                                                                                                                                  

1. With the draft being recently how do you feel Halifax made out in comparison to the other teams and does this put us in a good enough spot to compete in your opinion?

2. McWolf and I are really trying to create a positive atmosphere with our private discord locker-room? Have you gotten a chance to try it out yet and if so, what do you think of it and is there anything you would suggest to us for a more positive user-friendly experience?

4. Captains will be chosen at the end of the week. If you were in charge of picking them, who would be your choices?

6. What do you have to offer as a player, or in other words, how do you feel you can help Halifax going forward?

1) Halifax had limited early picks in this draft but I feel as if they made out pretty well overall with Tyr, Volosenkov, and Nacho. Looking forward to the season and seeing what everyone can bring to the table.

2) Loving the team discord server. It’s a great way to get to know my teammates and just chat about anything in general with the squad.

3) Plate is and always will be my bestie.

4) I’m a little biased but I’m thinking either Tyr or Volosenkov as Captain and the other as an Alternate. As for a second I’m kinda torn between gaudette or fryman. Both are solid choices imo but overall it’s up to McWolf and Thranduil.

5) Cap out as soon as possible, win the founders cup, be more than a point per game player.

6) I’m a fairly well rounded player that can do a lot all over the ice whether it be offensive touch, passing, backcheck, hitting. I’m confident I can help the team in every way on that top line

Edited by SirRupertBarnes

Being this season my first season in the VHLM I don’t really know how things work around the organization but after almost a week or so with the AGM assisting me and hearing other teammates in the Locker-room I feel like the attitude is super positive. Every member of this team from the GM all the way down to the rookie draftee is putting in maximum effort for this year. This year's draftees are definitely motivated to the max

Haven’t really spoken up in the team discord as of lately. Just trying to feel it out being the new guy. Besides that everyone in the Discord has a positive vibe and very supportive of the team and answers any questions that need answers. I feel like I’ll fit right in with the team here in Halifax!

For me I feel as one of the new guys on the team I don’t really know anyone as close as others do. I’m sure down the road into the season I’ll find my “go to” guy on the team, someone I can bounce ideas off of and they can do they same for me! Just can’t wait to get started here!

Like I said before, I’m new to the team and still getting to know my mates. I plan to get to know everyone more when I’m on and off the ice. Whoever becomes Captain I’m sure will get the job done and have the leadership and respect every Captain comes with!

Well I guess to just progress and advance my skills and ability to make plays. I feel like my potential has yet to shine. And with the help of my squad mates and the atmosphere of the team and management, that will really help to prove myself!

As a new player to this team, the first few weeks I feel I’ll try and figure out what the team and the players have to offer. From there I know I’ll become a great asset, or at least try to be one. From being a team player to always moving the puck into the offensive zone. I also feel as being one of the more active players working to train and enhance my skills, those skills will come in handy later in the season. All in all I’m just excited to be a part in this team and this great franchise

I liked our picks mostly. Tyr and Volosenkov both seem to be active and keen to help out the team. Thran tells me they're both from Halifax too which is cool. We picked up Gaudette late and he's done his rookie profile this week which is awesome. Good pick there. We got Nacho who has been very active so far, huge steal there. Rash and Wilson were meh, but no draft is perfect.

I don't really use the Discord unless I need to. Not really into all that smalltalk.

Probably Teagan Glover. Good to see an active guy come back from last season. Hopefully we both can get lots of points this season.

I would've chosen Glover, Tyr and maybe Freeman, Freeman seems active and ready to go. Don't really know anyone else.

I would hope I can break 20 points for once, preferably get as many as 50 or so. Other than that, I want to lead Halifax as a number one defenseman.

Really been working on my defense, strength and checking, but recently I've also been focusing on puck handling because I know this season the team needs me to be one of their go-to guys like Vanderhuge, Fish and Guy were last season, so I'm all ready to make adjustments to my game.

With this being my first season in the league I don't have an eloquent answer to the specifics of how we did in the draft but from what I've seen the other rookies are motivated and willing to put the effort in to make this a great season. Everyone I've had the pleasure to talk to so far has seemed incredibly optimistic about our chances this year and I'm ecstatic to be part of such a good locker room.

I've been in there for about a week and it honestly couldn't be better. All my questions have been answered in a quick fashion and in a way that makes sense. The entire team has been so enthusiastic and kind. The culture there just makes me pumped for this upcoming season.

Obviously I have to go with my man Papa Gage. I've heard we'll probably end up on a line together and I can't wait. Such a cool overall dude. Everyone is so great though I could say goods things about practically anyone on the team.

At this point captains have already been chosen and I have no complaints. I'm still getting to know the team but all the guys seem like total studs.

In general I just want to grow my game. Understand the inner workings of the league and get a better grasp on how to be a better team player. It may be my first season in the  VHLM but I want to look back at this time in the future and be proud of my accomplishments and how much I've progressed.

As a younger player it's always hard to pinpoint exactly what you can bring to the team. I think my main goal is to fit in where I'm needed as I find and grow my game. I know the team has faced hardships getting so close to the finish line but not being able to cross it. I believe that we can come together as a team and accomplish great things in the near future.

New Questions for week of Feb 25-Mar 3.                                                                                                                                                  

1. As the season opener approaches, what will you be doing to prepare and get ready for the game to make sure that you start the season off right?

2. Who do you think will be Halifax's most valuable player this season?

3. How many points do you hope to finish with?

4. Where do you think Halifax will finish among the standings this season?

5. What is your favourite thing about the VHL so far?

6. What's the best article you've read on the site in your time here?

Please feel free to leave suggestions for question ideas. I realize these ones have been lackluster as there isn't much to talk about during the off-season. Hopefully we'll get underway this week or next.

6 hours ago, Thranduil said:

1. As the season opener approaches, what will you be doing to prepare and get ready for the game to make sure that you start the season off right?

I will be doing everything in my power to improve to sure up our second line. I have been practicing and making sure that everything I do pushes us toward the goal of bringing the cup to Halifax

I would have to say it would be our Captain Dimitiri Volosenkov. Outside of being a great captain, he is also a great leader when it comes to working out and practicing which is probably why he will be our most valuable player.

Since I will be chilling on our second line and hopefully playing against weaker opponents I would like to hit 70 points this season.

In the standings, I'm not sure. I'm hoping for first for the home-ice advantage but truthfully I think that our group will go all the way through the playoffs this year. 

The community. There are a lot of people here who are really passionate about this and it's contagious. I got hooked right away when people were so welcoming and helpful with all my many questions.

This is a tough one I really enjoy reading @Victor Top 10 x of all time. It makes me excited to see what I can do in the future, as a player and as a contributor to articles. So far I have not read enough to have a specific article in mind outside of my own but I love reading about the history of the league so If you must make me pick one it would have to be 

since it gives me a starting point to go and look at what made those players great and look at their stats and progression. 

Just doing my best to make sure I'm sound defensively while still being able to contribute offensively.

I think either Dimitiri Volosenkov or Chase.

I would like to get at least 40-50 points this season.

I'm not entirely sure where at we will place, but if we can get home-ice for the playoffs, that would be awesome. I think regardless, once we're in, we can win it all.

The community is hands down incredible. Everyone is willing to help everyone out, even if they're on opposing teams. You can really tell everyone is passionate about the game and wants every player to succeed.

I'll have to echo what @rjfryman said and go with one of Victor's articles. This time for defensemen. 

On 2/24/2019 at 11:16 PM, Thranduil said:

Pumping Iron, honing my defense, punching some bags, slamming so boards, firing some rockets, dangling some dusters.

Besides me, Glover and Tyr are Gods. Others will catch up soon such as Freeman and Nacho.

Well my career high is 18, so I'd be happy to crack 35.

3rd to 5th.

The competitive nature and all the rivalries. I'm gonna destroy some dudes. Wanna build some rivalries like no other.

Freeman's 2000+ word marathon covering every player.

As I'm answering these questions a little late, I plan on hitting the gym a little bit. Relaxing and getting to know my teammates a little more and just practice, practice, practice!

For sure its gotta be Dimitri Volosenkov. As of now he has the most tpe and his stats and the way he plays is impeccable 

In my first year ever in the VHLM/VHL I would like to at least end the season with 20-30 points. Even to me as a rookie player that seems a little to high haha!

We'll I think we all hope to be at least a contender for the cup this season...Halifax has some pretty great talent on this team and think as we work together we can get the job done

I feel like my favorite thing so far is the way you earn your TPE. The fact that you can do any of the various things and there's a possibility to do as much as you want is cool! Not only that but it shows the true potential and shows who's really willing to win it all!

I may be bias but it HAS to be the article by one of my mates Plate...it was a great article, great read, and a well written piece!

On 2/25/2019 at 4:16 AM, Thranduil said:

New Questions for week of Feb 25-Mar 3.                                                                                                                                                  

Please feel free to leave suggestions for question ideas. I realize these ones have been lackluster as there isn't much to talk about during the off-season. Hopefully we'll get underway this week or next.

1) travelling back to Halifax early from Russia to not be jet lagged. Gonna keep working hard and try to improve on some lacking areas

2) I’d have to go with either moose or Tyr. I think those two guys on the backend will really help us out.

3) I’m aiming to a point per game player

4) definitely top 2 for sure. I feel we have a good squad here

5) the community is great, everyone here is super helpful and easy going. It definitely makes it easier getting the hang of things.

6) I haven’t read many but I do always love reading through @rjfryman (AKA Jules) articles. They’re a solid read and that guy has talent on and off the ice

New Questions for week of Mar 4-10.                                                                                                                                                  

1. How has your start to the season gone for you. Were you expecting more, maybe a little less, or are you playing how you thought you would?

2. Why do you think the team has had such an excellent start to the season?

3. Over a 72 game schedule, how many wins do you think Halifax will finish with?

4. Which parts of your game have you been excelling at the most this season and which parts still need some work?

5. Are there any teams that you have especially liked or disliked to play against? Why?

6. What do you think of the name "21st" for a hockey team? Do you understand its historical meaning?

1 hour ago, Thranduil said:

1. How has your start to the season gone for you. Were you expecting more, maybe a little less, or are you playing how you thought you would?

I went a goal per game in my first 6 and then haven't scored in three. So overall, I'm very disappointed that I'm not scoring lots of goals now.

2. Why do you think the team has had such an excellent start to the season?

I don't know man. I think we just got the talent. Moose is a beast too.

3. Over a 72 game schedule, how many wins do you think Halifax will finish with?

4. Which parts of your game have you been excelling at the most this season and which parts still need some work?

So. My defense and my hitting and fighting and strength are awesome. Now I just need to learn how to keep the puck long enough to pass it off. Also my shot is godly, 6 goals in 6 games at first. Let's gooooo. Man, it's fun being this cringey.

5. Are there any teams that you have especially liked or disliked to play against? Why?

Hate Las Vegas, my old team that never played me and then beat us in the finals. I am not happy with them. We gotta win against them.

6. What do you think of the name "21st" for a hockey team? Do you understand its historical meaning?

Nope. Get good!

New Questions for week of Mar 11-17.                                                                                                                                                  

1. Now that some of you have had a chance to settle in, how are you liking the league as a whole so far? Are there any suggestions you have?

2. Do you have any suggestions for either McWolf or I as GMs? Is there a way we could make you feel more welcome?

3. Which VHLM team has the best conbination of name, location and logo? (Don't say Halifax, you won't be fooling anyone)

4. Which VHL team has the best combination of name, location and logo?

5. Which VHL team is going to win the Continental Cup?

6. Will we continue being as good as we have been for the whole season?

Edited by Thranduil

1. Now that some of you have had a chance to settle in, how are you liking the league as a whole so far? Are there any suggestions you have?

I've been loving it. The games are fun, the players are all extremely competitive, but always willing to help out in different ways. I honestly can't think of any suggestions, there's not anything I would really change.

2. Do you have any suggestions for either McWolf or I as GMs? Is there a way we could make you feel more welcome?

You guys have been absolutely awesome in helping me feel welcome and helping as much as you can with my development as a player.

3. Which VHLM team has the best combination of name, location and logo? (Don't say Halifax, you won't be fooling anyone)

I really dig the Houston Bulls' combo. Houston is a pretty awesome city, and I think the name and logo fit very well with the city and the state of Texas. Partially biased being from the Southeast US though.

The Seattle Bears have an awesome combo going. Seattle is a beautiful city, the logo is an awesome design, and the Bears is a fitting name for a team from the PNW.

Seattle looks to be the current favorite, but I'm gonna go with Vancouver.

That sure is the hope haha. I think as long as everyone does their job and we hold each other to the highest standard, we can definitely keep up the pace.

I have been enjoying the league and the league itself has been really fun so far. No suggestions for the league there are some things I am thinking about doing to try and make other peoples time more fun but for now, the league is doing great.

You two are doing awesome its good to have good leaders who will help and just be cool people to new people.

3. Which VHLM team has the best conbination of name, location and logo? (Don't say Halifax, you won't be fooling anyone)

I would have to say Saskatoon. It is a clean logo first and foremost that is advanced but not too busy. it being wild and a fierce animal makes sense. ITs a good team combo.

This one is tougher since there are more logos that are good but I would have to say the Helsinki Titans. The logo is clean matches the name of the team and Helsinki is as good of a place for Titans as anywhere else.

I'm going to go with Seatle because hopefully they go far and the players I picked on that team do good things for my fantasy league.

I think we will start doing better soon when all our players continue to grow like they want to. We will have a number of guys who will go high in the draft next season and I think it will show in the playoffs.

1. Now that some of you have had a chance to settle in, how are you liking the league as a whole so far? Are there any suggestions you have? This is my second season now and I am really enjoying it. I feel like I'm starting to understand the workings much better.

2. Do you have any suggestions for either McWolf or I as GMs? Is there a way we could make you feel more welcome? None at all, you guys have been instrumental in my success and development.

3. Which VHLM team has the best combination of name, location and logo? (Don't say Halifax, you won't be fooling anyone) I'm gonna have to go with the Houston Bulls on this one. They leave a little to hope for being in Houston, but the logo is top notch.

4. Which VHL team has the best combination of name, location and logo? Davos is going to take this one, I really like the clean look of the logo.

5. Which VHL team is going to win the Continental Cup? Riga is going to win the Cup!

6. Will we continue being as good as we have been for the whole season? Absolutely, we've had a strong start and there's some guys who started slow that are heating up now. Halifax is the team to beat.

5 hours ago, Thranduil said:

1) been loving the league so far and pretty much everyone I’ve been involved with. Been playing well alongside Edvin and Jules on the first line.

2) Trade @Plate please. He’s -4 and we just can’t have that kind of negativity in the locker room. Plus he’s the AGM of another team ;)

3) I’ve always had a biased opinion of Halifax but second to them might be Saskatoon. I like that logo more than any of the others.

4) 100% Moscow. Not even a close. I love everything about that team

5) Haven’t quite paid attention to the VHL yet but I’ll go with Riga.

6) Defintely. We have a solid roster and can only get better from here. Our team will continue to grow all season long and should have multiple 200 TPE players by the time playoffs roll around

On 3/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, Thranduil said:

Liking it for the most part, still figuring things out and wanting to get more TPE than I am currently. 

Trying to mix and match the 2nd & 3rd line to see if we can get more depth scoring? We have the 1st line clicking and it's getting results, but come playoffs you need everybody rolling. 

Honestly, I really dig Minnesota's logo the most out of the ones used here, but Vegas has the best moniker..... albeit, I do wish they played more into the militarist air plane motif like concepts I've seen in the past. 

The New York Americans. DUH. 

I don't know, I don't care..... the only cup that matters is the Founders Cup, which will be ours! 

Seriously? You're doubting your own players? Dude, were crushing everybody in our path! We have finally figured out how to make Vegas our bitch! Nothing is getting in our way. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:23 AM, Thranduil said:

I like it generally, seems toxic at times, people take things seriously, I like to troll. Once in awhile I find a good article that I can actually get through without going insane, but I really like the realism of the league and it feels like you are a real player, plus you're a beauty Thranduil, and I hope Moose and Madden will one day be reunited.

Hire me as coach. I'll make those dogs run and put them in the best shape of their life. It doesn't matter if they hate me because I'm leaving for Latvia next season, and then I'll probably reject an extension and go to Davos to play with Madden.

Brampton Blades.

Davos.

Davos.

I will, but the rest of the team will not be as good, they'll be better. Improvement is natural and we'll see it... Especially if I'm coach.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. As far as my 1 week experience in this team can tell, we have a great team this year and if we compare to other team, we surely have the right to think that we are a championship contender!

2. People are nice, I felt welcome when I first got in the LR, it is a ton of fun, but a little less active than I expected.

3. I got to go with gorlab, we are from the same team, we know each other a little bit more than I know anyone else so..

4. I honestly can't answer that question unfortunately, I don't know my teammates well enough...

5. Get better defensively, contribute in offence a little bit, and get way less penalty, and by that I mean, at lot less

6. I believe that I am a strong defenseman that can dish out some hits and get in front of a few shot and clear goalie's view. My physic is my best strenght.

Edited by Patpou22

New Questions for week of Mar 18-24.                                                                                                                                                  

1. Who has been the most underrated player on the team this season in your opinion and what do they do that makes them underrated?

2. Do you have any rivals on Halifax or on opposing teams? Who are they?

3. What are your thoughts on the trade that Halifax made recently to bring in Jet Jaguar and Edward Vigneault from the Philidelphia Reapers?

4a. (For S66 Players) Which VHL team do you most want to play for?

4b. (For S64-S65 Players) How do you think you will fit your VHL team's roster and locker-room. Are you happy with the team that has your rights?

5. Is Halifax in a position to contend next season? As of right now we only hold a first 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder, and we may see Blake Gaudette return for a second season and our starting goalie, Chase, for a third.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of simularity, who would it be?

12 minutes ago, Thranduil said:

1. Who has been the most underrated player on the team this season in your opinion and what do they do that makes them underrated?

I would have to say Julius Freeman. He is a good player but he was on the top line since the beginning of the season and I don't think he deserved the honor so early in his career.

He may not consider me a rival but I would have to say Hunter Hearst Helmsley. He is currently #1 in our draft for overall skill and I will be chasing him down for our entire careers.

3. What are your thoughts on the trade that Halifax made recently to bring in Jet Jaguar and Edward Vigneault from the Philidelphia Reapers?

I think the additions to these two players help our depth and allows us to roll with more lines to attack opposing teams.

Honestly, I don't have much preference other than the ability to play and help them get better. I prefer to help a team grow and contend and maybe win a cup sometime in my career.

5. Is Halifax in a position to contend next season? As of right now we only hold a first 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder, and we may see Blake Gaudette return for a second season and our starting goalie, Chase, for a third.

I hope so. I would like to cap off my time in Halifax with a win.I think we have a good shot at going all the way.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of simularity, who would it be?

Martin St. Louis due to his unselfish play and ability to make those around him better.

4b. (For S64-S65 Players) How do you think you will fit your VHL team's roster and locker-room. Are you happy with the team that has your rights?

4a. Calgary Wranglers

5. honestly yes because i feel like we have a lot of skilled vets who can lead the way

6. Leon Draisaitl because the passing and the scoring are the best stats