Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

7 hours ago, Thranduil said:

New Questions for week of Mar 18-24.                                                                                                                                                  

Answer 3 Questions for 1 TPE or 6 Questions for 2 TPE. Enjoy!

1. Who has been the most underrated player on the team this season in your opinion and what do they do that makes them underrated?

2. Do you have any rivals on Halifax or on opposing teams? Who are they?

3. What are your thoughts on the trade that Halifax made recently to bring in Jet Jaguar and Edward Vigneault from the Philidelphia Reapers?

4a. (For S66 Players) Which VHL team do you most want to play for?

4b. (For S64-S65 Players) How do you think you will fit your VHL team's roster and locker-room. Are you happy with the team that has your rights?

5. Is Halifax in a position to contend next season? As of right now we only hold a first 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder, and we may see Blake Gaudette return for a second season and our starting goalie, Chase, for a third.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of simularity, who would it be?

1. Honestly Nacho. I notice he gets a lot of stars and produces at clutch times

2. Not really no, just LVA in general

3. I think it’s a fair deal. Jet and Edward are two solid players and will definitely help us with having good depth. Two firsts may be a bit pricey but it is what it is when you want good rentals

4a. Moscow Menace. My player is from St. Petersburg and grew up taking hockey camps in Moscow so it makes perfect sense for him to able to play at home.

5. Well I’d like to stick around for another season given my gm that drafts me let’s me do that so we’ll see what happens. If not I think they could be hopeful to win if chase comes back

6. I aspire to be a Patrice Bergeron or a Evgeni Kuznetsov. A two way forward has always been my style of play and I love being able to shut down opponents, just as much as scoring.

1. Who has been the most underrated player on the team this season in your opinion and what do they do that makes them underrated?

I think Halifax has a lot of underrated players, but I'd probably go with Volosenkov. Dude is active in the LR and is way over a PPG. I hadn't even heard of him before getting traded to Halifax, but he seems like the real deal to me.

2. Do you have any rivals on Halifax or on opposing teams? Who are they?

I do have a rival who currently plays in the VHL. His name is Dallas Jones and I think he plays in Calgary. I'm making it my mission to have more cup wins in my career than he does. Bit of a prick job, so I definitely consider him my rival.

3. What are your thoughts on the trade that Halifax made recently to bring in Jet Jaguar and Edward Vigneault from the Philidelphia Reapers?

Fire move imo. I think Halifax probably gave up a little too much, based on the return Philly got from other trades they have done this season, but I think it's a move that solidifies Halifax as a cup favourite this year, and in my HUMBLE opinion, Halifax got the best asset Philly had to offer. 

4a. (For S66 Players) Which VHL team do you most want to play for?

I think the popular answer would be Moscow Menace, and I can't say that I'm an exception. Victor is a legendary VHL member, and I think a good majority of re-creates and old members are wanting to play for him in Moscow. If I had to choose a team, it would be Moscow, but I am really down to play for whatever team drafts me. I'll even play for HC Davos.

5. Is Halifax in a position to contend next season? As of right now we only hold a first 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder, and we may see Blake Gaudette return for a second season and our starting goalie, Chase, for a third.

I think Chase will always give Halifax a good chance at success. I don't think Halifax has the assets to really enhance their roster through the draft, but I think with a few trade deals, Halifax could definitely stay as a top 3 team in the league for next season. The GM is more than capable of pulling it off.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of simularity, who would it be?

Tough to say, but I think a comparable, at the moment, would be Jesperi Kotkaniemi. I think he is a centreman who plays the game like I do, and uses speed and vision to make opportunities for his linemates, but also has the ability to shoot. I think he's probably a good compassion. 

I would have to say Nacho. The dud is a wagon, out there constantly making plays.

Nobody specific comes to mind, other than everyone on LVA

Huge pick up for us, great added depth. I think once we iron the lines out, they will help us carry the cup.

4b. (For S64-S65 Players) How do you think you will fit your VHL team's roster and locker-room. Are you happy with the team that has your rights?

I think I will fit in nicely with the team. Everyone seems really focused on becoming contenders. I am happy to be there.

It's going to be tough, but I think they can continue to hang around the top and find themselves sitting in a nice spot deep into the playoffs.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of similarity, who would it be?

Derek Stepan... unselfish center with the ability to score from anywhere.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, Thranduil said:

I don't think Cody Smith gets enough credit for the defense he plays. He hasn't been scoring much, but he doesn't get much recognition for his 2-Way game.

I have a sort of competitive rivalry with John Madden, but we're good friends off the ice. He no longer plays in the VHLM. In S63, I had a friendly rivalry with Jonathan Hill as well as Madden. This season, in my third season, I'm kind of stepping past the whole rivalry thing, but it does feel good to score goals against my old team, Las Vegas, especially against the goaltender, Sunny Burst whom was picked by Las Vegas with the 6th rounder Halifax dealt to reacquire me.

Good trades. Will keep us in contention. Maybe gave up a little bit too much, but it's alright.

Well Riga has a good top 4 on defense, so I'm hoping that either someone leaves for free agency, or else I'll have to try to take my ex-teammate, Bolt Vanderhuge's spot on the roster.

Maybe, it would be cool to see if Halifax will contend for a 5th straight season. Edvin coming back, maybe Chase, Gaudette and Nacho as well.

6. If you were to compare your game to any NHL player, in terms of similarity, who would it be?

Ryan Ellis.

Gage.  Defensive minded guys don't get enough attention at any level, honestly. 

New blood is good blood in my eyes.  The guys we got a proven performers.  These are great players with a great mentality and will have significant impact for us on the ice.  You don't get guys like that cheaply.  I think it's a great trade.

Probably Patrice Bergeron.  He's the kind of guy that you can rely on to be there in a back-checking situation.  He's always ready to jump into a defensive rush.  That a value as a center, and something I think a lot of forwards neglect in today's game.

Edited by kithoo

Hey Everyone! WJC Questions...

1. Are you excited for the WJC?
  2. Who are you rooting for and why?
  3. Who do you think will win?
  4. Who do you think Claims MVP?
  5. Who Makes the All-star team?
  6. Do you sing your country's national anthem or just mouth the words?
  7. What team would you like to GM in the WJC?
  8. one player to snag from another team to add to your current team who is of the same nationality!
  9. Would you ever burn a flag if you knew you wouldn't get caught?
  10. You just got a penalty for unsportman like conduct, what did you do?
  11. Jersey colour swap for WJC special jerseys, what colours would you give each team?
  12. What is your fav task to gain tpe and why?

-Blade

16 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

8. one player to snag from another team to add to your current team who is of the same nationality!
  11. Jersey colour swap for WJC special jerseys, what colours would you give each team?

-Blade

1. Definitely excited to lace up the skates and leave it all on the ice. There’s some good talent out there so it should be a good tournament.

4. It has to be HHH right? Can anyone compete on his individual level at this stage

6. Full send, always sing. It’s not like I’d go missing if I didn’t or anything like that. No definitely not.

8. Always respected Valeri Morozov, he’s another solid Russian and I’m looking forward to being on a line with him.

9. Definitely not. That’s classless

10. Snowed the goalie or sprayed some water at someone

On 3/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, BladeMaiden said:

-Blade

1 - Always.  Young talent is always exciting to watch and shows you the future of this great sport.  Who isn't excited by that?  This is why we're all here - to enjoy the sport of hockey.  Competition of this level is always energizing!

2 - Team USA.  It's home.  I'm not sure who isn't rooting for home in this competition, but that's how these things go.

6 - I'm not going to lie.  I just mouth the words.  I can't sing.  Just cannot carry a tune.  Rather than destroy the eardrums of everyone around me, I just move my lips.  Embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth.

7 - I'm honestly not sure I could handle that level of responsibility.  Not yet.  I need far more experience before I could jump up to that level.  I'm from the States, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be a great honor to be a GM for any of those great teams.

9 - Not unless I'm doing it to keep warm under threat of death.  I don't care how much you might dislike or disagree with someone, flags are symbols to large numbers of people and don't mean the same thing to everyone.  We should respect that, even if we don't respect some of the things their flag may stand for.

10 - Chirping.  I've got a big mouth with no filter. It's gotten me in trouble before.  I'm sure it will again.

12 - In this short time I like these press conferences, but I'm new and still learning the ropes.  I'm ready to jump into the longer writing forms, but have to invest more time in reading them first.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, BladeMaiden said:

-Blade

1. I am super excited, I am fortunate enough to play not for my home country but for the world team but that is still a great honor.

2. I am rooting for my home country USA first and foremost with the world being a close second since that's who I am playing for.

3. I think My home country of USA will win but I will do my best to give them a run for their money.

4. HHH I think.

8. HHH since he is of the world.

12. Media spot. I love to write and think I make decent articles. 

New Questions for week of Mar 25-31.                                                                                                                                                  

Answer 3 Questions for 1 TPE or 6 Questions for 2 TPE. Enjoy!

1. Which aspect of your game needs the most improvement right now?

2. Which team has been the toughest to play against this season?

3. Which team has been the easiest to play against this season?

4. Are you satisfied with your performance this season, so far?

5. Is there anyone that you look up to as a role-model, leader or mentor on the time this season? How do they inspire you to play your game?

6. Where do you see yourself 3 seasons from now?

The defensive game.

The Storm because they are always right behind in the standings and they have a lot of depth.

The reapers because it seems they are always on a losing streak and can't get things right.

4. Are you satisfied with your performance this season, so far?

Not really because I don't think I have been able to get any points yet.

5. Is there anyone that you look up to as a role-model, leader or mentor on the time this season? How do they inspire you to play your game?

Volosenkov because he is always finding ways to lead the team and he also is a great guy off the ice.

I think I might be able to play as a second or third line winger in the VHL in 3 seasons

Are you excited for the WJC?

It's always an honour to play in international competition, so yes I am very excited to represent Europe in the tournament.

Who are you rooting for and why?

Team Europe, no doubt. I think we have a lot of young, talented players, and I think we are a dark horse to win it all. USA and Canada should be on alert.

Who do you think will win?

I know the Americans are the favourite for a lot of people, but I think there are a few teams who are dangerous and could have a good tournament. Namely Canada and Europe. If I had to bet all my money on a winner, I'd probably bet on USA but hopefully I'm wrong.

Who do you think Claims MVP?

If Team Europe go far, I think Codrick Past has a big shot at winning MVP. He has game changing abilities and I hear he is a great shot caller on the ice.

Do you sing your country's national anthem or just mouth the words?

Neither, I stand and look straight forward with a stone cold look on my face and nationalistic pride in my heart.

What is your fav task to gain tpe and why?

Probably any graphic task, whether it's a signature or player card. I enjoy doing graphics and like to think with practice my skills improve.... Although Practice Facility is pretty fire because of how easy it is.

I believe that my defensive game needs to be improved. I am a rookie and have only played two games so far with Haifax and I am sitting at a -2 rating which needs to improve.

For me personally, I would say the Las Vegas Aces are the hardest for myself to play against. I only have two games under my belt and Las Vegas gave me the most trouble.

Personally, it would be Saskatoon just for the purpose of only playing two games and I seemed to have more success there and as a team we played really well.

So far with two games on a top team, I feel like I am contributing the best that I can. I am looking to improve tremendously to help build depth for the team moving towards playoffs.

I look up to the AGM of Halifax, he has helped me a lot since I have arrived to Halifax. Allowing for a smooth transition into the VHLM and showing me what needs to be done weekly to develop as a player and contribute to Halifax.

In three seasons I want to find myself in VHL, putting up points and contributing to the team for some wins.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, Thranduil said:

I think my game is at the best it's ever been at so when everthing is going well for you, it is best not to change anything, however I think if I stayed out of the penalty box a little more, it couldn't hurt.

Minnesota. The often beat us and I have a good rivalry with Denver Wolfe for the Sullivan Trophy.

Las Vegas because I try extra hard and always destroy em forcefully.

Of course, leading the team in points, leading defensemen in goals, top 5 in shots blocked and hits, second in powerplay points. It's all going very well for me.

MacKinnon has been around since I joined the team and was actually the captain when I got here. Taught me a lot. Intangibles mostly, but he's a good leader for me.

Hopefully playing for Davos and helping them contend for cups. I plan to leave Riga for Davos after next season.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, Thranduil said:

I think the weakest point in my game is my goal scoring. I defer a lot right now in my career to other talented scores but there are times where I just need to shoot the puck.

Minnesota. That team is stacked. Their 2nd and third lines are better than some other teams 1st lines.

Philly mostly because they sold off early.

Not really. I wish I were more assertive in my play. I could have been playing harder and stronger all season but I have not.

Not really a role-model but more of a rival. @Beaviss HHH has been on my radar since I joined the league since he has been the top dog in my draft and I am pushing myself to be as tough and impactful as he is on his team.  

Honestly, I just hope 3 seasons from now I am helping a team toward a cup run. I would like to be a starter or even a start player but I will be happy if I am producing and helping others play the game I love.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:23 AM, BladeMaiden said:

-Blade

1. Of course, 1st time participating, hope it goes well for us!

2. Team Asia, they are the 1st one to give me an opportunity to compete in a WJC

3. Honestly, I don't really know, I hope it will be Canada, my home country

6. I know every single lyric, proud canadian right here

9. Never, ne-ver!

10. Get in the penalty box, and try to forget what happened, and get back in my game

On 3/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Thranduil said:

I feel where I need most improvement is in consistency. I'll play games with a couple goals or assists and then have a drought. 

In my opinion it'd have to be Vegas, even though Minnesota has risen to the top of the standings. not only are they a good team but just because of the rivalry both Vegas and Halifax have! 

Philly for sure. Every game we've had against them so far has been a win besides I believe one.

Earlier in the season I was all over. Now that its getting closer to post season I feel I'm getting situated and deciding on what kind of player I'm set out to be.

An actual teammate of mine, Julius Freeman. He's a winger for us and has the most points on the team as of now!

With not being as active as I use to be in the beginning of the season, I hope to see my self in the VHL next year and if not my plan to stay in Halifax is 100%

I was told even though this is last weeks presser I could do it for this week

New set of questions for the 21st!

1) Halifax doesn't have a lot of draft picks for next year, but has a ton of talent currently on the team.

1a) (If you were drafted by Halifax) Who do you think your team should target in the Dispersal Draft and why?

1b) (If you were picked up as a brand-new player) Where do you see yourself going in the S66 VHLM Dispersal Draft? Where would you enjoy going most if you couldn't be picked up by Halifax again?

1c) (If you've already been drafted into the VHL) Who from your current VHLM team (1 player) would you most like to see drafted to your VHL team?

2) The Malmö Nighthawks are joining the major league next season. How interested are you in joining them?

3) What player(s) outside your current team are you following in the VHLM right now? Why?

4) Dimitri Volosenkov @SirRupertBarnes was noted to have discipline problems in his rookie scouting report. What's the craziest penalty he's taken, and how in the world did it involve Gritty (of NHL fame)?

5) Your GM @McWolf was recently described as the Jim to @Esso2264's Pam in a recent presser. How do you think they'd fare in a GM brawl against @Josh. and @BladeMaiden?

6) Let's say 4 seasons from now you're a bona-fide VHL star at your position. How important (on a scale from 1-10 each) are: team loyalty, ice time, contract (i.e. $$$/season), and contender status?

2) The Malmö Nighthawks are joining the major league next season. How interested are you in joining them?

I hope to be picked high in the draft and I don't know where Malmö will be picking but If I were picked up by Malmö then I would be loyal almost to a fault. If a new expansion team wants me to lead them and they chose to pick me with their first ever draft pick then I might just have to play with them my entire career. I know I'm still new to this but If an expireced GM like @Advantage picked me over many other returning players who might be safer picks, I would have to reward him by going even harder than I am currently to reward that faith.

3) What player(s) outside your current team are you following in the VHLM right now? Why?

Who am I not following. I have tried to find a player or two on every team that I would follow as well as every player near my draft ranking.

With Yukon its an easy one with HHH. Minnesota has Shane Mars. Houston I have been following Maximilian Kirbsson and Kari Jurri. Las Vegas I have been following Mikko Aaltonen. Saskatoon I have been following Shawnomir Jagr, and Rusty Shackleford. Ottawa was Jack Lynch but now its Don Draper. Philly had a fun group of people to follow before the fire sale but not its hard to latch on to any one player.

6) Let's say 4 seasons from now you're a bona-fide VHL star at your position. How important (on a scale from 1-10 each) are: team loyalty, ice time, contract (i.e. $$$/season), and contender status?

It depends on who drafted me and where. If I were a high pick, and let me say this High pick in my mind is that I was the first pick for the team, they cannot control what other teams do but If I were picked with a teams second or third draft pick I might not have as much team loyalty as I would if I were their first pick. In my mind, there are two players who are clearly better than me in this draft @Beaviss and @Spade18 at this moment in time. So if I were passed up by every team and picked in the second then my team loyalty would be lower. But If a team picked me early or in Malmö case their first ever VHL Draft pick I would have team loyalty as my primary factor. I am loyal to those who are worthy of loyalness. Ice time can always be negotiated with a team and honestly, If I keep up at this rate and I'm a bonafide VHL star then I don't need to worry about ice time. I'm still unsure about contracts and how they work so I cannot speak to those things, and Honestly If I work hard to keep up this I hope that whatever GM gets me can build a winning team around me if I am a star.

All that being said though I think this might be similar to the 2015 NHL Entry Draft where the top two are clear but after that its the wild west. I just hope I don't fall too far because some people don't like me or think I'm going to leave soon after.

Also Thanks @Renomitsu for the excellent questions.

Edited by rjfryman

1b) (If you were picked up as a brand-new player) Where do you see yourself going in the S66 VHLM Dispersal Draft? Where would you enjoy going most if you couldn't be picked up by Halifax again?

I think I might go in the second or third round. If I don't get picked up by Halifax I would like to play for Vegas

Honestly I would love to join Malmo as its a team from my home country and they are also an expansion team so it would be cool to play for them

I am following the Yukon defender Denver Wolfe because he seems like an amazing player and is a huge part of yukon's team.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, Renomitsu said:

1) Halifax doesn't have a lot of draft picks for next year, but has a ton of talent currently on the team.

1a) (If you were drafted by Halifax) Who do you think your team should target in the Dispersal Draft and why?

1c) (If you've already been drafted into the VHL) Who from your current VHLM team (1 player) would you most like to see drafted to your VHL team?

4) Dimitri Volosenkov @SirRupertBarnes was noted to have discipline problems in his rookie scouting report. What's the craziest penalty he's taken, and how in the world did it involve Gritty (of NHL fame)?

5) Your GM @McWolf was recently described as the Jim to @Esso2264's Pam in a recent presser. How do you think they'd fare in a GM brawl against @Josh. and @BladeMaiden?

1a) Haven't really looked into the upcoming VHLM dispersal draft but i did see a few new players who looked promising. anyone who is a steady TPE earner isn't a bad choice.

2) I would enjoy playing for them actually. Helping rebuild a team and be that top winger would be pretty solid

3) Mikko Altonen is my own personal rival. I feel like im competing with him in the draft so i watch to see how he's doing.

4) I have problems with discipline, it's just in my nature but Gritty rubbed me the wrong way one day and i couldn't let him get away with it. Buddy had to get fought. Dissapointed i got 10 minutes for a celly though.

5) I'd take McWolf any day. He's a stud.

6) Loyalty: 6/10
Ice Time: 8/10
Contract 7/10 
Contender Status: 8.5/10

There's more to my game than just penalties you know ;)

It is a big part of it though....

1. They have no good picks. It doesn't matter who they pick as it will be inconsequential to the team.

2. I would love to join them, it would be awesome. 

3. Titus Stone. He was drafted well before I was in the same draft as me and is nowhere near as good. Nice to see that I can swindle Yukon out of a good prospect. 

4. When I play NHL 19 irl with @SirRupertBarnes, he takes a ton of penalties too. Honestly he needs to keep his stick to himself. Cross checking Gritty during the intermission isn't the best way to go about shedding anger.  Guess some things never change. 

5. McWolf is a legend. Never doubt.

5. Loyalty : 8

Ice time: 7 

Contract: 5

Contender: 3

On 4/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, Renomitsu said:

I would really love to play with Julius Freeman or Dimitri Volosenkov, but realistically it won't happen so maybe Papa Gage or something.

Not very. I want no part of expansion, and I doubt I'll ever play for Moscow or Malmo with the two dots over the "O".

Denver Wolfe. It's between me and him for the Sullivan Trophy.

In his first game for Halifax, he was kicked off the ice for very loudly expressing his best regards to one of the referees who recently got married. Only he did it in Russian. The ref, knowing that Volosenkov had a rather rough reputation, took this for Dimitri cursing him out and gave him a minor penalty, which only made Dimitri yell louder, trying to explain that he was only trying to congratulate the ref on his marriage. This resulted in a game misconduct for Dimitri Volosenkov.

McWolf and Esso are the best couple. No question. People come to watch Jim and Pam, not Bob and Phyllis.

Team Loyalty: 3/10

Ice-Time: 7/10

Contract: 2/10

Contender Status: 8/10

Great questions!