Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

On 6/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, Acydburn said:

1- If you could ask your Gm any Question what would you ask Him?

2- Are you coming back to the VHLM to play a victory lap? Why or Why not?

3- You are Hungry after a Game where are you going? What did you Order?

4- What VHLM team you would like to see lose the cup and why?

5- What VHLM team you would like to see win the cup and why?

6-  If you got stuck in an elevator and were forced to listen to one song for the next five hours, what song would it be? 

7- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

8- How do you relax after a hard days work?

1. If I was playing for Halifax I would ask my GM why everyone loves him so much.

2. I did and it was because I wanted to win the cup. We didn't.

3. madonald hanburger

4. Nyko Nax and the Mexico City Kings, because Nyko is always talking smack.

5. I don't care as long as it isn't the kings.

7. I'd stay on Earth. No where else that I know of has oxygen.

@Thranduil Congratulations on the strong year this season. I have a few questions, as a prospect looking from the outside of the VHLM.

• What would you say makes Halifax stand out in a more and more crowded field of VHLM teams?
  • What philosophy do you believe in as a General Manager of a developmental program?
  • What's your favorite thing about the VHLM, in general?
  • What has been one of your favorite experiences in your time at the VHL, so far?
  • A more pointed question, now. What do you look for in an ideal VHLM Left or Right Wing?(100-200 TPE)

Thanks in advance for answering these questions. Good luck in the playoffs! :cheers:

• What would you say makes Halifax stand out in a more and more crowded field of VHLM teams?
  • What philosophy do you believe in as a General Manager of a developmental program?
  • What's your favorite thing about the VHLM, in general?
  • What has been one of your favorite experiences in your time at the VHL, so far?
  • A more pointed question, now. What do you look for in an ideal VHLM Left or Right Wing?(100-200 TPE)
  • What is one thing you would have changed this season?

First of all, thank you sir, I definitely owe a lot to my amazing AGM @Acydburn though as well. He's been awesome.

1. Well, I'm glad you asked. Definitely the thing that makes us stand out in my mind is how we have managed to stay a contender in the VHLM, every season we've been here, since we joined the league 5 seasons ago. There is definitely a stigma that a team can't really be good in the VHLM for more than 1 or 2 seasons without having to rebuild in between, because of the way the cycle works, with trading picks and losing your best players each year, but I think we've broken that one. Our overall record is 251-85-24, easily the best in the last 5 seasons. So far, we have never finished lower than third in the standings, even though we haven't had a first rounder, since our first season. This comes down to good drafting, excellent player development, and knowing the ins and outs of how the cycle works, but I'd say our winning record is what we pride ourselves in the most, and our ability to win, even when it looks impossible at the start of the season, is what separates us from the pack.

2. For me it is the belief that player development and winning go hand in hand. If you're willing to put in the effort to get all your players really enthusiastic about the league, you'll usually get results in return. The more bonds you build with your players, and the more time you spend talking to them, the more you get to know them, and the more they get to know you. If you can get them really pumped up about earning TPE, then it creates a culture of players that all want to earn TPE, and naturally with this kind of environment, the wins start to come. A lot of people say the VHLM isn't about winning, it is more about making sure the players have a good time, but what better way to let them have a good time then win the cup? I think the amount a team wins is partly indicative of how much work a team's staff has put in, because often teams start out with tonnes of draft picks, and easily look like the best team, but a few weeks in, and half their players have gone inactive. My philosophy is that if you put in the effort, you can turn any team into a contender.

3. I think it has to be the social aspect. As a VHLM GM, you spend way more time talking to your players than you would in the VHL. You get to teach them how to be good players, and I find VHLM players are always more enthusiastic to get on a team for the first time. There is a lot more going on, packed into a shorter amount of time, because you only get one season with this group of guys, rather than as many as you need to win, so the atmosphere doesn't get stale, and after two months, you find yourself saying goodbye to all your players, and hello to another group of guys, keeping the environment full of fresh faces. It is this constant enthusiasm, and excitement, that makes me love GMing in the VHLM so much. I'm dedicated to my job, and I I don't ever see myself leaving to become a VHL GM. Personally, I feel I've found my calling. I'd be interested to hear your philosophy as well, as I know you have a lot of managerial experience in sim leagues.

4. Honestly, if I could give you one, I would, but there have been so many spectacular memories in my time here. Starting off with joining my first ever team, the Halifax 21st, back in S63. I was so excited to be part of something that I could contribute towards. I met Shawn, who GMed me that season, and after being promoted to the VHL at the end of the season, drafted me once again to his team. Joining Halifax gave me this close bond with him, and we're still great friends. My second one would be attaining my first AGM job. I was hired by Trifecta, to help him manage the Oslo Storm (Now Minnesota Storm). I was really excited to get into the GMing business, but looking back, he didn't teach me anything, so I didn't learn much, but at least it got my name in the market. The next would be the playoff opener for Halifax in S63. We were down 7-1 to the Founder's Cup favourites, Saskatoon Wild, but came back to win 8-7 in overtime. Next would be the two season span, between when Shawn left Halifax, leaving McWolf in charge, and the end of last season. McWolf hired me as his AGM, seeing I wasn't getting much training in Oslo, and we had a blast for two seasons. He taught me everything there is to know about GMing, and he was such a chill guy. We had so many good memories together, but unfortunately he had to leave all sim leagues, just before the S65 playoffs, leaving me in charge to GM the team. I was sad to see him go, but happy to finally get my shot. However, possibly the best part of my career has been this season, my first as GM. I have met so many great people, and it is the most enthusiastic team I have ever been apart of. The best part of this season was going all the way from 7th in the league to 2nd over the last 35 games, and surging to the end of the season with a 19-3 record, beating out the Ottawa Lynx by one point in the standings, with a win over them in the final game of the season. That was epic.

5. For me, I think the most valuable thing at this time is an unselfish player. Someone with defense, even though they play on the wing. Someone who can make plays, not always trying to score goals, someone that always looks for their teammates' success ahead of their own. I think most importantly though, what I look for in a player, no matter what position they play, is that they're willing to be part of a team.

7. Would have won the cup.

P.S: Sorry for the long answers, I get carried away with stuff haha. Also, I just realized I wrote the equivalent of two media spots here, yet can't write even one when I'm trying to earn TPE.

Edited by Thranduil

• Commissioner

1.) The finals are Ottawa vs Philadelphia, who do you think is going to win?

2.) What do you think was Halifax's defining moment in the season?

3.) What was your favorite moment of the season?

4.) Are you happy with the results from your player during the regular season?

5.) If you have been drafted already move to 5B 

A.) If you haven't been drafted, what is your top choice for VHL teams?

B.) If you've already been drafted do you think the extra season in the M has helped your player?

6.) What are your goals for next season?

7.) What is one thing you would have changed this season?

8.) Do you think Thran should win GM of the year? Why do you think that? 

• Commissioner

Philadelphia, they have more depth.

Going on a 19-3 run and seeing how excited the LR would get. 

I believe so, I had a rough start but pulled it through by the end of the season. 

My top two would have to be either Vancouver or Seattle. 

To make an impact on the team like I did this season.

Absolutely, he took a team with very few draft picks to the final 4. The big players on the team were waivers, multiple players capped out after starting after the draft. 

I think Philly will win the cup.

There were several defining moments during the season, would be hard to point to one.

When the team fought it's way to the 2nd seed in playoffs.

Yes, I think my player exceeded my expectations by a long shot.
5.) If you haven't been drafted, what is your top choice for VHL teams?
      My top two would have to be either Vancouver or Seattle. 

I hope to improve enough to help whatever team I go to. 

My money's on Ottawa on this one. Sure, Philadelphia may have the more depth and the better team overall. But Ottawa has the luck and the love of STHS on their side, as evidenced by the sweep with three OT wins against Halifax. And despite the recent Eagles victory, the baseline of Philadelphia sports is still heartbreak.

Defining in a positive or negative way? In a positive way, it would be coming back to get the two seed with that defining win on the last game of the season against Ottawa. It was a long climb, capped off perfectly by that big win. But ultimately, unfortunately, the season may very well be remembered by the playoff sweep against those same Lynx. It's not a great place to be.

More or less, yes. There wasn't much regular season for me, since I came in on the trade deadline. But all in all, getting a number of assists very quickly and being able to contribute to the team is a positive for me. I'm just happy to have made an impact.

5.) If you haven't been drafted, what is your top choice for VHL teams?

The honest answer is that I don't really have a top choice right now, since so much of what I'm looking for is team and personal fit. But very generically, I tend to go for teams that are up-and-coming, and also ones that past players of my agency haven't played for. The two recent expansion teams would seem to be perfect fits in that regard.

I'd like to win a championship. Yes, I know that's easier said than done, especially with 11 teams now in the VHLM and many of them having fully active squads. But I'm more of a team player than a personal stats type of guy, and if there's any way I can help the team, I want to do it.

A championship, of course! It's simple to say, but a few bounces of the puck a different way in those three overtimes, and this series would still be going. It's unfortunate, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, and I'm happy for my time in Halifax.

8 hours ago, Acydburn said:

B.) If you've already been drafted do you think the extra season in the M has helped your player?

1. Philly is the better team. Ottawa won’t win more than one game.

2. Getting @Steve. Came out of nowhere to be a rock on defence. He built his player perfectly and it translated onto  the ice. 

4. I’m satisfied yes. Was aiming to be point per game and did just that.

5. a) no favourite team. Want to win.

b) definitely helped get settled into the game for sure.

6. Be a breakout rookie in the VHL. Prove I’m one of the best choices to be drafted high.

7. Absolutely. He’s a tremendous GM for a developmental league like the VHLM. Makes everyone feel like they belong and still has enough competitiveness to shoot for the moon with his team. He turned a bunch of no namers into one of the top teams. Legend.

Ottawa since @Acydburn is the new GM. We're really rooting for him over there.

The night when we decided we would trade for the Passman. Great trade and really built depth into a strong Halifax team.

3.) What was your favourite moment of the season?

My favourite moment has to be when we swept the Marlins.

Uh, if I'm completely honest... No. Michael was a 200 TPE goalie that played like garbage imo. I do think he will improve next season.

5A.) If you haven't been drafted, what is your top choice for VHL teams? Most likely Vancouver, Seattle or Malmo and thats in no order.

6.) What are your goals for next season? Make the team and fight for a spot. I want to show that I'm not the 4th best goalie in this draft. I'm the best one and I'm willing to shock the entire league.

7.) What is one thing you would have changed this season? Nothing to be honest. We had such an awesome and solid group of guys

8.) Do you think Thran should win GM of the year? Why do you think that? Ummm, I think he should. He made subtle moves throughout the year and we ended up becoming contenders out of nowhere. He was definitely keeping his cards close to his chest and he exercised a great trade and picking up the 2 starting defenders.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:16 AM, Acydburn said:

1. Philly, just a better team.

2. Taking second seed from Ottawa

4. Could have contributed more, but a solid first year.

5A. No preference, just looking for a team that can give me the opportunity to be successful

6. Set career highs in points if still in the VHLM

8. No he did a good job, but we weren't successful enough of a team.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, Thranduil said:

P.S: Sorry for the long answers, I get carried away with stuff haha. Also, I just realized I wrote the equivalent of two media spots here, yet can't write even one when I'm trying to earn TPE.

Just got around to fully reading this. I appreciate the answers. Really good stuff. It's always great to get in-depth with this stuff and learn about a team or player. I really appreciate when guys get into it and answer like this. Seems Halifax is in great hands.

2- Are you coming back to the VHLM to play a victory lap? Why or Why not?

Yep.  I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to so I will be back.

3- You are Hungry after a Game where are you going? What did you Order?

Anywhere I can get a good burger and beer.

4- What VHLM team you would like to see lose the cup and why?

Ottawa, because they beat us.

5- What VHLM team you would like to see win the cup and why?

This year, I want us.  We're due.

6-  If you got stuck in an elevator and were forced to listen to one song for the next five hours, what song would it be? 

NSFW by Psychostick.  The song speaks for itself.

7- If you could live anywhere, wherwould it be?

I hear Iceland is nice.  But I suck at learning new languages, so ththaththat would be tough.

8- How do you relax after a hard days work?

Depends on my mood.  Either a good hard workout, play video games, or go fishing.

1. What do you think about getting your careers started with the 21st?

2. Any opinions on teams at the VHL level that you may want to play for? If you don't know any, thats totally fine.

3. What's your long term goal on the VHL forums?

4. What are your kong term goals? Cups, HOF, etc?

5. Favorite NHL hockey team?

6. Which teammate do you feel you have had the best chemistry with so far?

7. Which team did you enjoy beating last season?

8. Are you staying down in the VHLM a season or going straight up?

9. What was cool to do when you were a kid but not as a "grown up"?

10. What genre of music do you enjoy listening to?

Since it's my first week as the AGM of Halifax, I'll be answering all the questions ;)

I'm so proud to say I got to play for the 21st. This team was super fun to play with throughout the season. Everyone was a hoot!

2. Any opinions on teams at the VHL level that you may want to play for? If you don't know any, thats totally fine.

To be honest, I want to play for the team that has enough faith in me to draft me.

I hope I can just bring some positivity and energy to the community.

I want a cup. At least one.

Vancouver Canucks

Well, I got on really great with a lot of people. If I had to choose, it would probably be Acyd and Thorvald for me. Both great guys but the entire team is very high on my list.

Mexico City Kings, easily.

I'm going straight up since I'm past the 200 TPE limit.

Being picked 1st for a pick up game of soccer. Nobody does that anymore lmao

I love hiphop and RNB. I've also been getting into some EDM as well.

It was a really fun time at Halifax. Good team and I learned a lot.

2. Any opinions on teams at the VHL level that you may want to play for? If you don't know any, that's totally fine.

I am just looking for a team that has good structure and has a plan for success.

3.What's your long term goal on the VHL forums?

I always check into the forums for all the latest news.

First off I would feed him a banana. Then my goals would be to win a cup at some point in my career.

L.A. Kings

6. Are you staying down in the VHLM a season or going straight up?

I am over cap so I will be drafted to the VHL.

Wouldn’t have it any other way. Was a ton of fun and a great group of guys!

Winning is big for me but also a good group of guys to play with.

I like to contribute as much as I can by posting articles/media spots. I try to read and react to others as well.

Cups for sure. Legacy (whether that’s HOF or not)

Maple Leafs.

Had good chemistry with Gaudette this year.

All of them.

Going up. Well past 200 TPE already.

I couldn't have asked for a better team to give me an opportunity to develop my skills and help the team succeed.

Personally, I'm still feeling out how the VHL system runs being so new but I am just grateful to be trusted to play at this level currently with many higher aspirations in mind in the future.

San Jose Sharks

Seeing how this is my first season here in North America, I believe it would be appropriate for me to continue strengthening my skills as well as my weaknesses in the VHLM to help better equip myself for a shot at the VHL in the future.

Wearing light-up shoes... Sometimes I still think it's cool but my girlfriend thinks otherwise.

Coming where I'm from, Classic electronic music is what I enjoy. There aren't many modern artists I can get myself to listen to.

1. What do you think about getting your careers started with the 21st?

I was told we always make the playoffs, so hoping to continue that

Will be watching for the first time this year, so hoping to become a fan of some team

Earn some of this TPE lol. Not sure about longer term goals

4. What are your long term goals? Cups, HOF, etc?

Cups 100%

San Jose

Depends on how the season goes. I assume I stay down a level

If you can't beat them, join them! Looking forward for the coming season.

2. What are your long term goals? Cups, HOF, etc?

Win some cups.

3. Favorite NHL hockey team?

Rangers

4. Are you staying down in the VHLM a season or going straight up?

Staying down for sure, I want to win that cup.

5. What was cool to do when you were a kid but not as a "grown up"?

Visiting a neighbors' back yard while pretending to be a spy.

6. What genre of music do you enjoy listening to?

I listen to almost anything, but mostly all kinds of metal.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, fonziGG said:

1. Last season was fun. I'm hoping that I can have a larger impact this season. I really like Halifax.

2. Not really. Maybe Malmo / Davos, but I'm good with anyone.

3. Achieve 69 rep.

5. I'm BC boy, Vancouver Canucks.

6. Uh. I feel like all my teammates are gone. I played with Papa Gage last year on a pairing, but just getting to know all the knew guys.

7. This is my second season, so staying down.

1.) How do you think Halifax did in the draft? Any hits or misses?

2.) How was the draft experience for you?

3.) What do you think of our current roster?

4.) How do you predict us doing this season?

5.) What are your goals for the season?

6.) Can you describe the type of player you are?

7.) Any questions about how the league is run?

8.) Tell me something the GM and AGM should know about you?

16 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

1.) How do you think Halifax did in the draft? Any hits or misses?

2.) How was the draft experience for you?

3.) What do you think of our current roster?

4.) How do you predict us doing this season?

5.) What are your goals for the season?

6.) Can you describe the type of player you are?

7.) Any questions about how the league is run?

8.) Tell me something the GM and AGM should know about you?

1. I think we did pretty good picking up some solid players id say it was a pretty solid draft class

2. I went undrafted so kinda bitter sweet i think i knew whered id end up so it was nice to see us get some other guys

3. Our current roster is pretty solid overall i think we are gonna be a strong enough squad to win it all

4. I predict a cup

5. My goals are the same as everyone elses teamwork makes the dreamwork

6. Think of patrick kane and then turn your expectations lower 

7. I have a few but i think my gm and teamates can answer them on discord

8. They should know im a quik learner just give me a minute 

1. I think we did pretty good and got some hard working guys.

2. It was good, I mean going into the draft I was sure I was going to get picked mid first round, but I'm not complaining, I'm happy here in Halifax.

3. Halifax had a strong team last season and going into this season it looks just as strong, perhaps even stronger.

4. Further than last season. Count on it.

5. Put up some good numbers and take the cup home to Halifax.

6. My numbers speak for themselves, I'm a great passer and if given the opportunity I know where the goal is. 

Edited by Dominus89