Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

Answer some questions here for free TPE!

1. How do you feel about playing for new expansion franchise in year 1?

2. What's your long term goal on the VHL forums?

3. What kind of player build are you going for?

4. What's one thing you really like about the VHLM that the VHL doesn't offer?

5. Were you happy with where you went in the draft?

6. What in your eyes is the best part about being on an expansion team?

7. Being on the new expansion team, do you feel at all that all eyes are on you guys to perform?

8. What team other than Halifax do you think has a good shot at being contenders?

9. What do you think about the name "21st's"?

10. What would you say is your goal this season in the VHLM?

@Hunter @bagelbitesisbae @DrHexDex @Sllaym @tfong @Arayvenn @BBNAT @ColeMrtz21 @devilsfan35 @Potato @Sami K @Barracuda @Jepox

Edited by ShawnGlade

6 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

7. Being on the new expansion team, do you feel at all that all eyes are on you guys to perform?

8. What team other than Halifax do you think has a good shot at being contenders?

1. I think it's an amazing opportunity, you get to set the precedent for the team. I'm excited to see what this squad can do and just how far we end up going this season.

2. I'd like to stay in the league as long as I can, I've already met a lot of great people through here and it's not every day you find a passionate hockey community.

3. A very crease dominant goalie, someone who can play aggressive and not get punished. I'm going to be building a lot of agility and rebound control during my time here.

4. The VHLM allows new players to hop right into the league, no problem. It's exciting because you're playing with a bunch of guys in the same boat as you. The VHL is restricted to established players, which isn't bad, it's league structure, but it makes the VHLM a lot more exciting as you're watching the younger talent start to emerge.

5. More than happy, 4th round, 21st overall. There's nothing to complain about. I also get to crack jokes about going to the 21st with the 21st now so I can assure you that joke is never dying out for as long as I'm in the league.

6. Like I said earlier we get to set the precedent for this team. Whatever happens this season we were a part of the original team. Some of the guys here will leave Halifax as VHLM legends, maybe not league wide but definitely locally.

7. More like all eyes are on to see if we can preform. There's a handful of guys on the team who have kind of stagnated in ability and our challenge is to get better than them and prove ourselves.

8. I'm still kind of new to the league but if I had to take a guess I'd go with Oslo, I don''t have a whole lot of knowledge on who has what players but I think historically Oslo has done well.

9. It's cool to be integrated with the community like that, to take a touch of local spirit with us, but for anyone outside the city it's going to be a little confusing.

10. Work my way up to that starting position in net and back my team to a winning season.

8 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

@Hunter @bagelbitesisbae @DrHexDex @Sllaym @tfong @Arayvenn @BBNAT @ColeMrtz21 @devilsfan35 @Potato @Sami K @Barracuda @Jepox

Tyler walked into the press conference room and sat down in front of the mic

[1]"To answer your first question I think playing in a new expansion is not only going to be challenging but I think it'll be fun as well. Lots of questions will be raised about how good we are as a team. But I know we'll play hard, get the wins we earn and show that we're not just a one and done team."

"Next question please."

[2]"My long term goal here in the VHL? Well I want to be the number 1 goalie. I want to be up there, letting a team know I have it's back no matter what the situation is."

"Next one please."

[3]"The goalie style I'll be playing will most likely be a mixed stance. You won't see me travel too far out of my net, as I plan to stay in it and stop the puck."

"Uhh, yes you in the back."

[4]"Can't really say, this is my first season so I'm excited to see what the VHLM has to offer."

"Yes, you."

[5]"I was happy just to be drafted."

"You, with your hand up."

[6]"To pave the way for other players on the team in terms of history. You have the chance to set the bar really high, and hope it either stays there or someone raises it even higher."

"You, in the blue shirt."

[7]"Of course there is, but that'll just means the more eyes are on us the more we get to show off great teamplay, amazing coaching and maybe a flashy move here or there."

"Hmm, you in the all black."

[8]"Don't want to call it early, otherwise you jinx every game you play against them."

"You in the back left."

[9]"The name '21st' sounds like a name with history behind it, so it's our job to set that history for better or worse."

"Last one, you in the back right."

[10]"To perform to my very best, and see where I need to improve."

"Well guys that's all the time I have thank you." Tyler gets up and leaves the conference. 

I feel excited. Being able to step into a brand new franchise and have the opportunity to play a major role in building something new is a big motivator for me.

To remain an active member for years to come, score tons of goals and have Nikita Flipachyev go down as one of the best wings to lace it up in this league.

I am here to score goals. I'll be stacking skating, puck handling and scoring. Passing, strength and defense to be focused on as secondaries.

Very pleased indeed. I didn't think I'd squeak into the top 10. Honored to be selected so early.

I think being part of an expansion team makes it much easier to discover where you land in your team's identity, and to also ingrain that team identity in yourself. This is what has me most excited about joining Halifax.

To win the founder's cup.

1. How well are you expecting Halifax to do in their expansion season?

2. How has the fan base turned out to be? lots of hype ?

3. How are you Shawn Glade enjoying the role as General Manager?

4. Have the 21's already made any rivalry with any other VHLM teams? if so which teams?

5. Could we see Halifax competing for seasons before a rebuild?

+1 Kovalev

@ShawnGlade

9 hours ago, Laflamme said:

1. How well are you expecting Halifax to do in their expansion season?

2. How has the fan base turned out to be? lots of hype ?

3. How are you Shawn Glade enjoying the role as General Manager?

4. Have the 21's already made any rivalry with any other VHLM teams? if so which teams?

5. Could we see Halifax competing for seasons before a rebuild?

+1 Kovalev

@ShawnGlade

1. It's shaping up to be a year where I'm more than confident we're gonna do very well and turn some heads

2. Lot's of people are rooting for us but a few other GMs and a few players around the site hate me so probably not them

3. It's a lot of work but it's pretty fun. Most of my day on VHL used to be just getting my PTs in but now I actually have work to do

4. Probably Yukon. Me and Barzy like to talk shit to each other. It's all in good fun though......I hope

5. Hard to say. Year one will indicate where we stand. If we flop, the rebuild train might make it's departure. If we do well like I expect, I'll try and ride the success as long as I can

Very excited!! Because we're an expansion club, people may underestimate us. I think we have the talent to make some noise though.

Long term goal is to try to be active and contribute to the community when I can.

Two way defenseman. I've never liked being one dimensional. 

Being fairly new here, I can only surmise that the VHLM gives me a place to develop some before hitting the VHL

I was a late addition and could not participate in the draft. I was however, signed afterwards. 

As I answered previously, people tend to think that because you're an expansion team, you're not going to have the talent to compete with the already established organizations. But it's pretty exciting to be a part of something new and try to prove all the naysayers wrong. 

Not in the least. I think people expect us to fail.

From what I've seen, Yukon seems to have their ducks in a row and probably the team to beat.

Doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just here to play hockey.

My goal is to develop into the best defenseman the VHL and VHLM has ever seen. 

1. How do you feel about playing for new expansion franchise in year 1? I'm really excited because I get to blow other people's expectations away. 

2. What's your long term goal on the VHL forums? My goal long-term is to become one of the best players in the VHL.

3. What kind of player build are you going for? I'm going for an elite scorer.

4. What's one thing you really like about the VHLM that the VHL doesn't offer? VHLM gives me a place to develop.

5. Were you happy with where you went in the draft? Yeah, I don't think where I was drafted depicts who I am as a player.

6. What in your eyes is the best part about being on an expansion team? The best part is that you get to show the veteran teams that you can be at their level.

7. Being on the new expansion team, do you feel at all that all eyes are on you guys to perform? Yes, I feel like all eyes are on us to perform to the best of our ability.

8. What team other than Halifax do you think has a good shot at being contenders? I think Yukon will be a cup contender.

9. What do you think about the name "21st's"? I think it's just a fun name!

10. What would you say is your goal this season in the VHLM? My goal is to be a top scorer for my team.

• 2 weeks later...

Answer these 6 questions to claim your 2 TPE for week ending 9/2:

1. Nearing the midway point of the season, has the team been above or below your expectations?

2. Are you happy with your player's production so far?

3. Who do you think is the team's most valuable player?

4. Do you feel any pressure being the team to beat as the new guys in town suddenly having success?

5. What were your thoughts on the Nguyen/Crimson trade?

6. Are we goin all the way?

On 9/1/2018 at 2:03 PM, ShawnGlade said:

Answer these 6 questions to claim your 2 TPE for week ending 9/2:

1. Nearing the midway point of the season, has the team been above or below your expectations?

2. Are you happy with your player's production so far?

3. Who do you think is the team's most valuable player?

4. Do you feel any pressure being the team to beat as the new guys in town suddenly having success?

5. What were your thoughts on the Nguyen/Crimson trade?

6. Are we goin all the way?

1. Far above, I didn’t expect to be in the top three. Then again I didn’t expect to go in the fourth round, the season if full of surprises.

2. Very, I’m consistently in the top 2-3 for goaltending, near .900, cant complain about that.

3. That’s not exactly a fair question, everyone on the team puts in WORK, and it shows for all of them. We need everyone, it just works best like that.

4. I’m feeling pressure after losing to Ottawa twice, feels like we need to step up our game. At least it wasn’t Vegas, that would take too much effort to keep up with Pepper’s little comments.

5. Cements our spot in the finals. Two all star players without losing our current roster. We have to be the strongest team in the league.

6. Hellllllllllll yeah.

3 hours ago, Laflamme said:

1. Think you guys will win the Championship this year?

2. How is Halifax progressing?

3. Hows the Locker-room ? active ? 

4. Any trades in the works?

5. Favorite Hockey movie?

+1 Kovalev 

1. We’re at the point in the season where it’s less of an if and more of a when, we have a stacked roster and lead the league in most every category. Ottawa and Vegas are no easy teams mind you, but I think we can take them.

2. Far beyond where anyone expected, or at least I expected. That fact that we’re the first team to clinch a playoff berth shows how far we’ve come.

5. Hard fight between Miracle and Goon, but I have to pick Goon just because you can watch that again and again and never be bored of it. “PICK NUMBER 69, ITS HILARIOUS!”

On 9/10/2018 at 7:54 PM, Laflamme said:

1. Think you guys will win the Championship this year?

2. How is Halifax progressing?

3. Hows the Locker-room ? active ? 

4. Any trades in the works?

5. Favorite Hockey movie?

+1 Kovalev 

1. I have little doubt that we can win the championship this year. There is simply so much talent strewn throughout the roster that all of our bases are covered. We are well balanced and talented which leads to a very scary club when it hits the playoffs. 

3. The locker room is really good. The guys are keeping things light and loose, having fun on and off the ice. It is most definitely active. Even for some of us who are not as vocal as some of the other guys. All in all, it's a great atmosphere.

5. I'm pretty old school when it comes to these things. I mean, you can't look much further than Slap Shot. I'd stay away from the sequels though.  

On August 10, 2018 at 1:29 AM, ShawnGlade said:

8) Definitely Las Vegas. But really, at this point, I don't know because anything can happen. Remember what happened last season Shawn? Never forget that. Never forget it.

9) It's an okay name. It lacks sort of a visual or symbol. Don't even know where they got the idea to put a ship. Still though, cool name, cool logo.

10) Winning a cup before I leave.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, SlapshotDragon said:

It's an okay name. It lacks sort of a visual or symbol. Don't even know where they got the idea to put a ship. Still though, cool name, cool logo.

Just because it’s interesting for people to know the history behind it:

21st comes from Pier 21 in Halifax. The name is exactly what it is, the 21st pier on the Halifax waterfront. It’s the pier where steam ships (thus the logo) with immigrants on them would arrive into Canada to be processed as citizens. Think Ellis Island but for Canadians, it’s the same basic concept. It was the first point of contact for new Canadians so the name seemed fitting since the VHLM is the first point of contact for new VHL members.

• 2 weeks later...

1) It feels great, knowing that I was one of the first players and that I had an opportunity to engrave my name in this team's history.

3) A goal scorer in general. Nothing more really.

4) It seems more lively. There are rivalries like Mertz vs Pepper, and people are always teasing each other about stuff. Plus, more interesting things happen in the VHLM like Line screwups + everyone is so competitive.

14 hours ago, SlapshotDragon said:

4) It seems more lively. There are rivalries like Mertz vs Pepper, and people are always teasing each other about stuff. Plus, more interesting things happen in the VHLM like Line screwups + everyone is so competitive.

We'll make the VHL lively and competitive, man.

5. I was traded but I am happy I got to be part of your history.

6. New start, plus your name will be engraved in the history forever.

1. I felt great, excited to win a cup. We didn't win, but it was still awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, ShawnGlade said:

3. Speedy, scoring winger who is invisible in his own end but makes up for it by being a point machine every time he has the puck. Gets many a breakaway and mostly only score goals but is a very underrated playmaker and puck-handler.

4. Everyone is generally in the same range of skill level so if you put in the effort, you can eventually catch up. In the VHL, some guys are thousands of TPE ahead and will always be better until they retire. 

5. Yes. I went undrafted but it ended up working out for me. I got to sign to whatever team I wanted and I would much rather be able to choose a team I like then be forced to play for a team I don't like. Loving Halifax so far. The team, the city, the ocean, the donairs. All of it! So, overall I am super happy that I wasn't drafted and that @ShawnGlade will still willing to let me play for him and the team.

8. Yukon Rush. They are decked out. I could see them getting over 60 wins this year and going undefeated in the playoffs. I don't see anyone being able to stop them. They have a stacked roster and an amazing veteran goalie. They're like the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens. Though, I still think, if we put in the work and get some more good players, we have what it takes to beat them.

9. I didn't like it at first but now it's part of me and my goal is to pot 21 genos this year to show my pride for the 21st.

10. Besides the 21 goals, I think my goals are pretty much the same as what every other player's goals, so I've come up with the formerly mentioned to be unique. I also want to win the founder's cup this season or next and I want to do it with Shawn at the helm. Of course, I don't have tonnes of control over the last one but I'll do what I can this year to help us win.

New week, answer 6 of these (or all 10) for some TPE!

1. How do you feel the 21st have started off this season?

2. After last year's upsetting finish, how do you think Halifax will rebound to make up for that?

3. Seeing that Halifax is good this season, and has a lot of draft picks heading into next season, do you think Halifax will break the stigma of rebuilding?

4. It's no secret Halifax is competing this season. How do you think they match up against other top teams?

5. Once again, Halifax is in first place at the quarter mark of the season. Do you think this is a management thing or are other teams not living up to the expectations?

6. Who's you favorite team to play against?

7. How has your player performed thus far this season?

8. The 21st recently just brought in Wilson and Komarov to help bolster the blueline. What do you think of these moves?

9. What are you goals for this season?

10. Is Halifax going all the way?

1. Very well in most aspects. I think big four this year have been Nathan MacKinnon, Nikita Flipachyev, Jesse Wilson and Jonathan Hill. I was hoping I would be able to hop into that category with ease but I have been struggling to do so. Huge thanks to @ShawnGlade and the rest of the 21st for having faith in me. I promise, I'll make all of you proud one day. But for now, I just appreciate all of the patience and opportunity you have given me even though I am not up to par with anyone's expectations. Thank you.

2. I am quietly confident. I don't believe in bragging that we are the best and such because that's like asking for upset. All I can say is, I think we're going to surprise I lot of people this year.

3. Obviously. Anyone could do that. I mean, all it takes is a good core for three years straight, some luck, and a genius hacker-type GM. All of which are super common and easy to come by...?

4. As I said, I'm just quietly confident. Players from other teams are going around saying how good they are and such. I don't believe in that. I believe in showing people through actions rather than telling them. You see, nothing good comes about being overconfident. You just end up setting expectations really high and if you achieve anything less, it's a letdown. If you don't say anything but end up winning the cup, no one has anything over you other than their admiration. It's always better to be the underdog (as Ottawa unfortunately proved last season.) That said, I think we match up well with every team. We have the ability to be competitive with all of them if we put in the effort.

5. It's for sure a management thing. Shawn pulled off some wicked deals in these last couple days that just pushed us beyond and above. I don't know how he did it, but it looks like we are set to finish first twice in a row.

6. Definitely the Ottawa Lynx. Everything seems to go in for me when I play them, in fact 11 of my 24 points this season have been against the Lynx. It's also nice to get revenge on the team that ruined Halifax's cup dreams last season. It's always a coast when I'm playing them. My least favourite so far is the rush. They are super tight in their own end and the only team I haven't got a point against this season. I hope to figure them out sooner than later.

7. Very mediocre, and for that I apologize, but I've been doing a bit better of recent, as in my last four games, I have scored 3 or more points in two of them. I have been taking awhile to get used to the league, though I am very grateful for my linemates, Flipachyev and MacKinnon, as well as our best defender, Jesse Wilson. They are all outstanding role-models, after which I model my offensive game. I also have been looking up to my good friend and teammate, Jonathan Hill. He adjusted to the league very well and I am very proud of his performance this season. He impresses me in everything he does.

8. Very good moves. There are now six very capable players on the teams, plus the two stellar goalies. The future is bright for Halifax. Thoughts of the powerplay send shivers down my spine.

Madden - MacKinnon - Flipachyev

Wilson - Hill / Komarov

That's a very good powerplay. Well, at least 80% is very good. The rest is OK.

9. To be worthy of playing with MacKinnon and Flipachyev full-time. I haven't really proved myself a part of that line. Both of them are tearing it up and they are doing their best to bring me along but I can't help but feel I've been dragging them down. Hopefully this is not the case by the end of the season and by then I hope to be playing at a high-enough caliber to keep up with them completely.

10. I like to be quietly confident, so possibly... maybe... probably... most likely...

Edited by Thranduil

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 12:29 AM, ShawnGlade said:

1. It doesn’t really really matter to me.

2. Right now I don’t really have one.

3. A great goal scorer.

4. It allows me to get ready for the pros. 

5. I haven’t been drafted yet

6. Nobody is expecting much of you.

7. Not really

8. Las Vegas 

9. It is a very cool and unique name

10. To get 10 points and 5 goals

• 3 weeks later...

Some questions for you guys

1. Do you feel like you underachieved this playoffs?

2. What are your thoughts on the Saskatoon series?

3. Did you view yourselves as the favourites before the start of the Semi-Finals?

4. What are going to be the Halifax objectives for next season?

5. What are your thoughts on S64 Dispersal Draft prospect Carles Puigdemont?

1. Do you feel like you underachieved this playoffs?

i feel as a team we did but we were also in tough. we had some bright moments this season but as a team we couldn't come together and stop the puck from going into our net.

2. What are your thoughts on the Saskatoon series?

Thought that we let in too many goals to count and that was the death of our playoff series

3. Did you view yourselves as the favourites before the start of the Semi-Finals?

i did but that was more so because of the way we went into the playoffs on a high note. i thought we had a ton of momentum and that ended up stalling out very quickly.

4. What are going to be the Halifax objectives for next season?

probably to best this years performance. i won't be in halfax but i will be visiting from time to time to cheer on the guys when i can.

5. What are your thoughts on S64 Dispersal Draft prospect Carles Puigdemont?

his name is hard to pronounce so there is that. i think he's a good player and will probably be a good professional player in the future.