Post-Draft Interview with Lynx Defenseman Joseph McWolf [1/2]

McWolf

Post-Draft Interview with Lynx Defenseman Joseph McWolf

HALIFAX, NS - As many of you readers are probably aware, the Season 62 VHLM Dispersal Draft was held today in Halifax. Halifax had the honour of hosting this fantastic event, after being granted an expansion franchise a couple days ago, the Halifax 21st. The Saskatoon Wild kicked off the event with the selection of left winger Ryuu Crimson, followed at #2 by the Las Vegas Aces using their pick on another left winger, Karl von Moltke. It was then the turn for the Halifax 21st GM to write a new page in the VHLM history, making defenseman Tzuyu their first ever selection. The rest of the draft ran smoothly for the most part, with the exception of pick #13, where some confusion as to who actually owned the pick slowed the whole process down.

One of the more interesting picks of the evening was at #16, when Ottawa Lynx GM, Jason Glasser, walked on the stage and called Joseph McWolf’s name. A week ago, the English defenseman was completely unknown to everyone, but he has then made some splashes around the league and his stock value was on the raise ever since. Rumours had him going around the 4th or 5th round, but the Lynx finally decided to give him a chance with their first selection of the 3rd round. We were able to have a few words with McWolf after the draft ended.

Interviewer: How was today, Joseph?

McWolf: It was incredible. I tried not to let the whole draft stress me out, but in the end I was really nervous. A couple of general managers made it clear that I was going to be drafted for sure, but it’s still a stressful event. You’re sitting there in the stands, hearing all those names being called, wondering when it’s gonna be your name.

Interviewer: In the end, the wait wasn’t too long for you, as the Lynx picked you with the first of their two 3rd round picks. Were you surprised to be selected in the 3rd round, or to be selected by the Lynx?

McWolf: I thought I was dropping to at least the 4th round, maybe even further back. All those guys that went before me, and a couple that went after me, they are solid. Some of them already played in the league last year too, so I was surprised to be called this early. I was kind of expecting the Lynx to select me, though. Glasser did show his interest in me on the very day I arrived from England. He met me at the airport and told me he’d like to have me on his team. And he had a whole lot of picks, so, yeah, I was expecting this.

Interviewer: You talked about the number of picks the Lynx made tonight. How thrilled are you to be a part of this young team, filled with rookies?

McWolf: Right? Honestly, it seemed like he spent half the night on the stage. [laughs] It feels great, really. I talked with a couple of those guys and I’m excited to be a part of this team, I got the feeling we’re gonna do great this season. Glasser met with all of us at the end of the event and explained his plan for the season, what the lines would look like and everything. He came ready, he knows what he’s doing and we’re all thrilled he picked us to play those roles in his plan. We’re all excited to go out there and try to fulfill his vision of that next Lynx team.

Interviewer: The Ottawa Lynx last won the Founder’s Cup in season 58. Do you think this current team is good enough to win it now, in season 62?

McWolf: I wish we can do it but, honestly, this is all way too early to tell. I haven’t even hit the ice in North America yet. Is the ice here even the same as English ice? [laughs]

Interviewer: [laughs] Probably, you should be able to skate. Well, that was all, I’m not keeping you any longer. Good luck for your first season in the VHLM, Joseph.

McWolf: Thanks! Hey, can I take a second and say hi to my family, back in England? Hey, Oliver, mom, dad, I made it! Woooooh!

Interviewer: You know this isn’t TV right? I'm a reporter for the Chronicle Herald.

McWolf: Oh, can you just write in the article that I said hi, then?

---

Word count; 775
Week; Aug 6th-12th
Double TPE week

Edited by McWolf
I suck at formatting, holy shit, why can't this look right?

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, McWolf said:

62nd VHLM Dispersal Draft

61st technically. Season 1 didn’t have a VHLM class. Not that you’d be remotely expected to know that haha

Just now, Beketov said:

61st technically. Season 1 didn’t have a VHLM class. Not that you’d be remotely expected to know that haha

Keeping this in mind for the next trivia questions. I'll edit it though, I'm sure this error wouldn't have slipped through the Chronicle Herald proofreading staff.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, McWolf said:

Keeping this in mind for the next trivia questions. I'll edit it though, I'm sure this error wouldn't have slipped through the Chronicle Herald proofreading staff.

To be fair it would just be more confusing to basically everyone since I’m one of like 3 that were around back then.

We usually just refer to everything as Season # to keep things easy.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

To be fair it would just be more confusing to basically everyone since I’m one of like 3 that were around back then.

We usually just refer to everything as Season # to keep things easy.

Oh right, well I'm going to do that as well, I believe.

Very nice interview however maybe you should ask more in depth questions about how he plans to move forward into the season. Also probably should of changed how you started conversation feels like you are just going to have a normal conversation not a professional interview.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Post-Draft Interview with Lynx Defenseman Joseph McWolf [1/2]