Tyler Smith Rookie Profile [1/2]

DrHexDex

RP.thumb.jpg.8b00cef52bc8dc173b8fbe3e1b5d3a08.jpg

Tyler Smith | Bloomington, IL

6'1" | 183 LBS

Right Handed | Hybrid Stance

SCOUTING REPORT

Tyler Smith, born on September 29th, 1996 played goalie ever since he could skate. Before entering the VHLM draft Smith played in a very small league in his hometown of Bloomington, IL. He played the net for the Bloomington Blue Jays for 3 seasons before taking up the draft. Smith plays a very aggressive hybrid stance of Stand Up and Butterfly. You won't ever see him leave his crease on most nights as he tends to stay in net on puck plays. Smith was unknown coming into the VHLM but he doesn't have plans on making it stay that way. Smith has been quoted saying:

"I want to be the number one goalie. I know where I come from, where I've been and where I want to go. I didn't come to VHLM to let all this passion go to waste. I'm here to play hard for any team I end up on, and play until my bones give out." -Tyler Smith

Smith was known to be a gym rat back in Bloomington, working everyday that he could. His leadership skills have much to be desired but who really wants a goalie to lead their team anyways?

Smith was drafted to the Halifax 21st as a late round pick and met his teammate Cole Mertz shortly after. When asked about how he feels that there is solid competition for the number one spot he had this to say:

"Mertz is a guy with experience, he's someone you can look up to in the locker room when you try to improve yourself as a goalie and a teammate. I hope he doesn't see me as a threat for a spot, I really just want to work out with him and take his knowledge about goal tending and apply it to myself to better myself. He's going to be great on and off the ice, and I hope with his skills, knowledge and leadership I can be just as good if not better than him." -Tyler Smith

PROS

+ Aggressiveness

Smith playing a Hybrid stance allows him to be more aggressive than most goalies in the league. Allowing him to apply high pressure during breakaways and penalty kills.

+Stay in the Crease!

Smith watched countless hours of footage of goalies with his time in Bloomington, and what he noticed most is that leaving the crease leads to chances of empty net goals. Pucks bounce in weird ways and the goalie stick is meant to stop the puck not play it. This allows him to keep the puck covered most nights and not make stupid or wild passes.

+Gym Rat

Smith has set the bar very high for himself. You can find him most nights in the Practice facility working on his skills to improve himself. This allows him to become better faster.

CONS

-It's all in your head

Smith has been known to have a bit of a temper when things don't go his way on the ice. From pucks that bounce off his mask and go up and in, or getting interfered and the goal counting, it can get to him and allow him to play too aggressive at times. This has lead to many broken sticks and time in the box.

-It's all your fault

Weather it's a 3 on 1 break away or a puck that rolls in Smith tends to blame himself more than his teammates when bad plays happen. While this does keep team moral high it can effect how he plays.

-Bloody fists and broken knuckles

Smith has been known to get into fights with other skaters. He will not be pushed around, slashed, or bumped into without consequence. While a fight win can boost team energy it also means 5 in the box and a goalie change. 

SUMMARY

While this is Smith's very first season we expect to see a lot from him, and where he goes. Will he burn out in the first season or become the super nova star he wants to be? Time will only tell where his future lies.

Edited by DrHexDex

• 4 weeks later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Tyler Smith Rookie Profile [1/2]