A new GM spreadsheet I'm working on

Victor

• Admin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aq2S_Gmv4DpFVxYTpYgGf1U0D3-KKVduQO6Da5_eFGw/edit?usp=sharing

Thought I'd throw it out for some early feedback.

I quickly did Cologne being the franchise with the shortest existence and added Greg's time in Seattle to do the combined tab.

Trades are not complete because I'm only using this atm: https://vhlforum.com/topic/4578-vhl-trade-tracker-s35-s56/

Let me know what you think!

• Admin

Alright it is done. I had so much useful stuff to be doing this week but here we are.... gotta love the VHL.

The team tabs are all updated as of end of S61, the combined tab includes any GM who took charge of at least 2 franchises and/or has GMed for 10+ seasons.

A few things I guess to summarise:

- There are currently 3 GMs tied on 22 seasons overall - all currently out of a job/inactive - @ADV @gregreg @Mike

- @Higgins will shortly join them, either this season or the next, depending on your view of his time as Seattle GM (about a month but appears as 2 seasons here).

- Higgins is also the longest-serving GM of a single franchise, at 19 seasons in :hel: and counting. That's split across 2 stints though, the single-tenure record belongs to @diamond_ace at 17 seasons with :cal:. ADV almost caught up with 15 seasons in NY, with the infamous Pensfan (RIP Vasteras) still in 3rd place from S1 to S14.

Who's the best GM of all-time? Guess it depends if you prefer longevity or efficiency - there's no definitive answer. Based on various factors I think all of Higgins, @Devise, diamond_ace, @Frank, @Molholt, @ADV, @Knight have a claim. Plus, like @Tyler's stats don't look that great but he's now broken 2 long cup droughts in 2 GM stints.

For current GMs:

@Bushito - guess the history in Calgary is quite rich, lots to live up to. And I guess you have your own curse to break.... unless you're planning to step down again this trade deadline. :P 

@Spade18 - a belated welcome to the squad I guess. NY had something of a golden age starting in S25, and especially in S32, so good luck hahah.

@Beaviss - Quebec's acquitted itself well in the league and so have you, I guess Frank is the benchmark, especially if you consider his time in Davos way back when too. No pressure.

@Banackock - Well you're actually sneaking up on that single-franchise record aren't you? I don't know if you're quite the best Bears GM yet, but certainly the steadiest hand in a while and although I suspect we'll be facing each other quite a bit in the next few seasons it's always good to see a committed GM.

@DollarAndADream - I was saying in my podcast yesterday that you seem to have been caught at the bottom of the Toronto rollercoaster - after a great run comes a lull. Knight and Molholt are very much the franchise leaders and purely based on history I think you can be up there soon.

@hedgehog337 - First Riga GM to win 2 cups eh. Let's make it 3.

Tyler - Davos really doesn't do long-term GMs so I suppose you'll be stepping down soon? Overall though, I've decided after a long and hard think that my tenure was the best in franchise history (unless you count Scotty's prime rigging days), so I'll be watching closely. ;) 

Higgins - just retire already

19 minutes ago, Victor said:

Alright it is done. I had so much useful stuff to be doing this week but here we are.... gotta love the VHL.

The team tabs are all updated as of end of S61, the combined tab includes any GM who took charge of at least 2 franchises and/or has GMed for 10+ seasons.

A few things I guess to summarise:

- There are currently 3 GMs tied on 22 seasons overall - all currently out of a job/inactive - @ADV @gregreg @Mike

- @Higgins will shortly join them, either this season or the next, depending on your view of his time as Seattle GM (about a month but appears as 2 seasons here). 

- Higgins is also the longest-serving GM of a single franchise, at 19 seasons in :hel: and counting. That's split across 2 stints though, the single-tenure record belongs to @diamond_ace at 17 seasons with :cal:. ADV almost caught up with 15 seasons in NY, with the infamous Pensfan (RIP Vasteras) still in 3rd place from S1 to S14. 

Who's the best GM of all-time? Guess it depends if you prefer longevity or efficiency - there's no definitive answer. Based on various factors I think all of Higgins, @Devise, diamond_ace, @Frank, @Molholt, @ADV, @Knight have a claim. Plus, like @Tyler's stats don't look that great but he's now broken 2 long cup droughts in 2 GM stints.

For current GMs:

@Bushito - guess the history in Calgary is quite rich, lots to live up to. And I guess you have your own curse to break.... unless you're planning to step down again this trade deadline. :P 

@Spade18 - a belated welcome to the squad I guess. NY had something of a golden age starting in S25, and especially in S32, so good luck hahah.

@Beaviss - Quebec's acquitted itself well in the league and so have you, I guess Frank is the benchmark, especially if you consider his time in Davos way back when too. No pressure.

@Banackock - Well you're actually sneaking up on that single-franchise record aren't you? I don't know if you're quite the best Bears GM yet, but certainly the steadiest hand in a while and although I suspect we'll be facing each other quite a bit in the next few seasons it's always good to see a committed GM.

@DollarAndADream - I was saying in my podcast yesterday that you seem to have been caught at the bottom of the Toronto rollercoaster - after a great run comes a lull. Knight and Molholt are very much the franchise leaders and purely based on history I think you can be up there soon.

@hedgehog337 - First Riga GM to win 2 cups eh. Let's make it 3.

Tyler - Davos really doesn't do long-term GMs so I suppose you'll be stepping down soon? Overall though, I've decided after a long and hard think that my tenure was the best in franchise history (unless you count Scotty's prime rigging days), so I'll be watching closely. ;) 

Higgins - just retire already 

Hell of a job.

Yeah, I think Higgins probably has claim to top spot. He has the wins on top of the longevity. Plus I think there is something to be said for his Franchise loyalty, with only a stint in Seattle his non Helsinki stuff. 

That said I think after him the top five has to be rounded with Advantage, Myself, Frank, and Molholt. Leaving names like Jason and Knight out of the top five is hard, but I think if you look at impact, legacy, what those other GM's did puts them ahead. 

It'll be interesting to look back on this again in ten seasons time, still lots of time left for current GM's to start carving their marks. 

10 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

The Molholt thing is definitely pretty amazing.

Dude comes over here, makes a player and brings his team to contention, his player becomes one of the best ever, while his team becomes one of the best ever and wins 3 in a row then he leaves. Made it look easy.

As close to calling your shot as you are going to get honestly.

2 hours ago, Devise said:

Yeah, I think Higgins probably has claim to top spot. He has the wins on top of the longevity. Plus I think there is something to be said for his Franchise loyalty, with only a stint in Seattle his non Helsinki stuff. 

That said I think after him the top five has to be rounded with Advantage, Myself, Frank, and Molholt. Leaving names like Jason and Knight out of the top five is hard, but I think if you look at impact, legacy, what those other GM's did puts them ahead. 

It'll be interesting to look back on this again in ten seasons time, still lots of time left for current GM's to start carving their marks. 

I'm good with top 10, especially given Chris' ridiculous run and Molholt coming in and winning for essentially the only tries he had. I'm content with that being my place in the VHL GMing pantheon, so to speak. I don't intend to give the bigs another shot unless I'm Beavissed into it.

What I am coming for though, is Coach and the VHLM GMing title. That's the target. A cup this season will help pull me closer to him, provided I can manage it and my absolutely loaded roster doesn't pull a Yukon. Another one, perhaps within the next 3 seasons after the current one, might be enough but debatable. Looking way forward, if I can manage 3 more total by S70 it's a wrap.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Dude comes over here, makes a player and brings his team to contention, his player becomes one of the best ever, while his team becomes one of the best ever and wins 3 in a row then he leaves. Made it look easy.

And I was on that team for all 3 cups. He sucks I'm tots better!

• Admin
8 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

He did have another player you know.... Jarkkooooooooooooo

Unless of course you mean Toronto rather than the VHL in which case carry on.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Beaviss said:

This spreadsheet informed me that I like to trade.

Ah yes completely forgot about that most time consuming element of the spreadsheet.

Not that trades are everything there is to a GM but still quite interesting to see the different styles. Generally I'd say the fewer trades the better though....

@DollarAndADream you guys have been real quiet in Toronto ever since Molholt joined. Did he tell you not to trade ever? :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Honestly never figured I'd be considered in any kind of "best" discussions for anything in the VHL ha.

I mean you took charge of the unique achievement of first threepeat in VHL history, the only one of its kind.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:17 PM, Victor said:

I mean you took charge of the unique achievement of first threepeat in VHL history, the only one of its kind.

Yeah, but that's just a stupid joke lol. I mean sure, no one else has ever done it and sure, there may never be someone else do it again, but I was only a GM for a short time ha.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Yeah, but that's just a stupid joke lol. I mean sure, no one else has ever done it and sure, there may never be someone else do it again, but I was only a GM for a short time ha.

Well I personally wouldn't put you quite top anyway, but at the same time longevity =/= quality.