Podrick Cast Biography [1/2]

Victor

• Admin

The Biography of Podrick Cast

Arthur William Cast was a well-known radio commentator in the UK prior to retiring as a result of a chest infection. Popular in particular for his cricket commentary, Cast was something of a celebrity in south-east England, allowing him to settle down in opulent Berkshire, not far from Reading. Such was his fascination with everything to do with radios that he named his first-born and only child Podrick, allowing the shortened version of his name to be pronounced Pod Cast.

Ridiculous names given by parents with bigger dreams have a tendency to backfire terribly, but fortunately for Arthur his son appeared willing to follow the path set out by his father. Although he preferred to be called by his full name, Podrick did develop a fondness for radio broadcasts, earning an unofficial role on his school radio by the age of 11. Unlike his father, Podrick preferred winter sports, something of a more niche interest in England, mainly driven by annual family holidays to ski resorts on the Alps. It was on one of these that the Casts met a junior hockey team from Nottingham with Podrick making a few friends among them. Fast forward 6 years and Podrick was at Nottingham University, working as commentator on the university's hockey matches.

Image result for nottingham university

Nottingham University

Despite the loose interest in watching hockey, the teenage Cast had little inclination to actually play the game and nothing indicated that he ever would. He occasionally participated in practice sessions and impressed his friends with his speed and above-average shooting ability, but personally found the sport too physically demanding to pursue further. Instead, Cast focused on a budding media career along with his degree.

It was at one of these practice sessions that Podrick was spotted by former VHL player agent Victor Alfredsson. Alfredsson was a well-known name in the hockey world, holding roles as diverse as VHL commissioner and HC Davos Dynamo GM at various points in time, but had recently retired from the business, taking a sabbatical to travel around Europe and watch hockey for leisure rather than work. Having married and settled down in Reading, Nottingham was a fairly local club for Alfredsson and he agreed to help fellow former VHL agent Austin Gow scout out potential VHL-level talent in the UK. None of the actual players caught his eye, but Alfredsson recommended Gow find out if Cast could be persuaded to take up hockey professionally. Gow however balked at Podrick's lean build and lack of any real experience at the age of 19 and left the country without signing a client.

Alfredsson proceeded to attend a few more practice sessions in Nottingham on his own, before deciding that Cast was someone worthy returning to the VHL with. He approached Podrick and after a bit of convincing had sold young Cast the idea that the VHL offered more guarantees than the media. Unfortunately for the veteran player agent, Cast Sr. heard about the offer and being the overprotective father he is, swooped in to keep the money in the family. With Arthur undertaking substantial research into the sport he was not hugely familiar with, he also came to the conclusion that the real money was in an NHL career and got Podrick fast-tracked to the OHL. After 2 years of trying to reach NHL draft eligibility, Cast returned to Reading with the move an unmitigated disaster – Arthur Cast didn't have the experience to get Podrick up to the necessary level, while Podrick himself couldn't settle in Ontario. It looked like a promising hockey career had come to a premature end.

It would be another 2 years back at university until another chance encounter led Cast back to the VHL's doors. Travelling through Heathrow airport in London, Podrick ran into a group of Seattle Bears fans coming back from a Continental Cup finals game in Riga. Needing an interesting topic for the newspaper that Cast was now working for, he decided to interview these fans about their thoughts on an inter-continental hockey league and what it means in terms of travel. In the process, Podrick caught himself thinking that this wouldn't be something he would mind doing as a player, so long as he could remain based in Europe. He was quickly on the phone to Alfredsson in the hope that the 4-year-old offer was still on the table. Fortunately, it still was, as Alfredsson's interest in returning to the VHL had once again subsided after the near-miss on signing Cast. It was now Cast's turn to do the persuading, but, after agreeing on a few conditions giving Alfredsson a lot more control over Cast's career, hockey training resumed, with Podrick hopeful of still making the VHL at the age of 25.

Image result for alex ovechkin

Alexander Chershenko in action during the S34 playoffs

“Podrick is a strange one for me – I don't know why but something in him drew me back to the VHL. It would have had to take something special for me to make a return, but turns out having a serious hockey talent on my doorstep was it. The craziest thing is he didn't even know he had what it took to make it. It took a bit of work, but I think we've got a solid VHL forward on our hands now. He's no [Lars] Berger that's for sure, he doesn't really throw his body around anywhere near as much. He's not really [Alexander] Chershenko either, maybe in being a goal-scorer above everything else, but it's a completely different style of play and most importantly Chershenko was a real leader, and was driven to be the best ever. I don't see that in Podrick, but maybe that's what attracted me to this project – the challenge involved. This is not a ready-made player, this is someone who should be in the prime of his career but didn't start taking it seriously until two years ago. I've got a pretty big reputation on the line but I'm ready to ride it out. We'll see what happens over the next seven years.” - Victor Alfredsson, Podrick Cast's player agent

Everything has gone to plan so far for Podrick – a league-leading rookie season and most importantly, still in Europe, having played for Oslo in the VHLM and now Riga in the VHL. Now that he has got comfortable, will he push on and unleash his full potential or will his career plateau? Only time will tell.

Review:

Man, this was great. I feel bad for him, his parents named him one of the most embarrassing I've ever heard. That's really cool, he started off as a media person then became an ACTUAL player? Cool. Also why does everyone choose the OHL? Why not the WHL or AHL? But, anyways, great biography. Great that we are the same team!