Shawn Gretzky, what could have been

I created Shawn Gretzky for the sole purpose of him becoming my first player in the VHL Hall of Fame. In all my seasons here from the beginning, I have never had a player reach the holy grounds of the Hall of Fame. Shawn Muller was a player that I thought just might be good enough to get there but he just reached Hall of Very Good status. Muller finished with 617 career regular season points which is a pretty good number but he never won any individual awards in his career which is obviously holding him back. Muller won a Continental Cup as well with the Riga Reign in Season 51. I think the thing I am most proud of are his playoff stats. He was very clutch scoring 85 points in 81 games. This places him high on the all time playoff scoring list around 13th overall. However, there were a lot of other players around this time who had better regular season stats and more awards that vaulted them ahead of Muller. So there that goes, Muller sits in the Hall of Very Good.

Shawn Gretzky on the other hand had a very eventful career to say the least. I planned on being a Dynamo for life but then stuff happened with @Smarch and I found Gretzky being traded to the Calgary Wranglers for 3 1st round picks. @Tyler Traded me when I told him I would stick it out through a rebuild but it was probably smart to trade me since I would have made them a better team and they couldn't rebuild properly. After a stint in Calgary, I was put into the dispersal draft where the Seattle Bears took Gretzky and I spent some good years there winning the championship. I ended up being traded to the ever competing Helsinki Titans for my last season. How about that for a career hey from Switzerland to Calgary to Seattle to Finland. It was a blast and I am sad I missed out on the last bits of it.

Shawn Gretzky finished his career with 674 points in 575 games. A pretty good number with highs of 113 and 108 with averages of 80. Gretzky's point total puts him somewhere in the top 70 of all time in regular season scoring. He is just ahead of Phil Gerrard and just behind Edwin Reencarnacion. However, here is the kicker, Gretzky never missed the playoffs for 7 straight years to end his career. Gretzky played in 81 games scoring 93 points which is 8th all time in playoff scoring. Ahead of Diana Maxwell and just behind Elijah Incognito and Voldomyr Rybak. Gretzky was a prime playoff scorer in his career which topped out at 27 points in a run when the Seattle Bears won the championship.

Overall, I can't be mad at Gretzky's career, I can only be mad at myself for not being active enough as he would have been so much better if I stayed active. He is now my all time best player in the league in which I have been in since the beginning. I am not sure he is good enough for the Hall of Fame but he certainly might make the ballot at least? Next time I get in the writing mood, I will take a very in depth look at the career of Shawn Gretzky.

• Admin

Think it's not quite going to be ballot :( Reckon you need 700 points + some awards to be in the conversation as an 8-season forward. Even then, Kroenenburg never made it, Milo never made it, Kellinger will probably never make it, Kohler a longshot too.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Think it's not quite going to be ballot :( Reckon you need 700 points + some awards to be in the conversation as an 8-season forward. Even then, Kroenenburg never made it, Milo never made it, Kellinger will probably never make it, Kohler a longshot too.

one day ill make it. it will be Season 150 and a TLO player will finally make the ballot. then the league will die before I get a chance to vote him in

• Admin
16 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

one day ill make it. it will be Season 150 and a TLO player will finally make the ballot. then the league will die before I get a chance to vote him in

I read Season 150 and fully accepted that is a thing that will happen. We're almost halfway there.