We need more jobs! // Bring back the Magazine

Victor

• Admin

Good morning VHL,

Earning TPE has never been easier. The ease with which 6 TPE can be earned from a normal Point Task or 4/5 TPE for welfare/pension is like a completely different to when I joined in the heady days of April 2009 and even to a fairly recent time of a 9 TPE weekly cap and grading.

The update system has also been revolutionised beyond recognition by the Portal. Both changes are 95% certainly for the good of the league, but have left 1 key area of weakness - lack of job opportunities. You see, the age-old VHL system saw 2 fairly easy ways for new members to hop onto the TPE gravy train - grading and updating, both of which earned up to a very wholesome 2 TPE a week. Both jobs are now effectively obsolete.

Now, the weekly cap can these days be hit without a job. A Point Task, and article in this forum, press conference answers/questions, and VHL trivia answers will get you to the cap. However, why not add another opportunity + additional reason for discussion? When it was brought in around S15, the VHL Magazine provided 7 TPE per week to its writers in place of a PT, quite the reward back in those days. In the current climate, it could well be worth 8 TPE a week as a good generator of discussion.

For newer members who don't know what exactly this entailed, I have brought back the old Magazine forum in read-only format - have a look here: https://vhlforum.com/forum/76-vhl-magazine/

340 editions of pure VHL were pumped out on a weekly basis and I am sure would find an appeal again. The problem of course always lay with finding a reliable editor. We were blessed to have its creator Raymond Funk around for a long time, and the mantle was picked up very well by @STZ but after his retirement there were soon no options left. Unfortunately, I personally can not volunteer myself for the position to a lack of the necessary skillset + already having a paying job. But perhaps someone out there would love the opportunity to resurrect one of the gems of the VHL's past - it would be hugely beneficial for all IMO.

Fairly recently, it was tried and it lasted about a month. Granted, Robbie was the editor, so take that as you will, but honestly as one of the writers, the problem was usually not him as much as it was people not getting things to him on time

• Admin
11 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Fairly recently, it was tried and it lasted about a month. Granted, Robbie was the editor, so take that as you will, but honestly as one of the writers, the problem was usually not him as much as it was people not getting things to him on time

Just hire more people, than if half fail to deliver you still have 8 articles to present. We've got a shit ton of S63 draftees, and some from previous year, so I think the writers' pool should be in good stead.

Just now, Victor said:

Just hire more people, than if half fail to deliver you still have 8 articles to present. We've got a shit ton of S63 draftees, and some from previous year, so I think the writers' pool should be in good stead.

Yeah now that all the new crew is here, it might work, not saying it wouldn't (you know I'm a big a proponent of the mag as anyone) I was just informing you that it had been attempted unsuccessfully within the last several seasons.