VHLM Magazine Staff Recruitment

ColeMrtz

After talking with @Victor and @McWolf, talks have emerged for a VHL Mag style project coming out for the VHLM. However, it's contingent on having enough staff as well as approval by someone with power in the forums moderation staff. Just to see if we could pull together enough people, anyone interested feel free to respond to this post stating what position you'd be interested in. There would be a Graphics team, a Writing team, and a few editors.

I'd be willing to help with interviews and interview transcription.

I'm working on the first episode of a VHL-based podcast that has exclusive interviews with VHL and VHLM players in addition to a weekly rundown of each team's games.

I could definitely supply some VHLMag content as a reporter through that.

This is something we've been interested in reviving but will only do so if we find the right, consistent team.

@ColeMrtz21 - what are your thoughts on being an editor? The head chief, MR.CEO of the Mag? Something you're interested and capable of doing?

If so, fire myself a message while including @Will, @Beketov and @.sniffuM

Though, what I'd be thinking is:

2 editors (1 full-time, 1 part-time/casual if so)

4-6 writers (again, 4 full-time and 2 back up - though, the back up can always write too).

2 graphic people.

For each week, you the writers - for their articles, can claim 7 TPE. 6 TPE for a media spot, a 1 TPE weekly bonus for having a "mag job". Similar would be for the graphic boys, too. Editors, that would be in talks with Bek, Willy and such.

8 minutes ago, BarzalGoat said:

I'd love to be an editor, seems like a neat way to get involved and oversee the big picture @ColeMrtz21. I've got a college degree that says I'm grammatically correct, as well.... for what that piece of paper is worth.

Elaborate on this “piece of paper” and you may just be hired. 

2 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Elaborate on this “piece of paper” and you may just be hired. 

It's a degree in Computer Science with minors in Econ and Spanish from a liberal arts university :). I took like 3 high level writing classes though, and a whole lot of research paper editing for my illiterate peers. 

See the thing is this was tried before. The interest was there, a few editions were published and then everyone just ghosted from doing it. Not saying directly you guys will but I feel like once you guys hit the VHL, your interest in doing this will dwindle. I have seen it and said it myself before. You have to be 1000% committed to doing this and paying attention to the VHLM as a whole. If this gets revived yet again, don't half ass it either. Give us something that will draw us in and actually make us want to read it. Give us power rankings, star spotlights, struggles, success, trades, waivers moves, line changes. Make it exciting. I sure know for one if I am going to want to read it, I want something that will keep me interested.

7 hours ago, Banackock said:

This is something we've been interested in reviving but will only do so if we find the right, consistent team.

@ColeMrtz21 - what are your thoughts on being an editor? The head chief, MR.CEO of the Mag? Something you're interested and capable of doing?

If so, fire myself a message while including @Will, @Beketov and @.sniffuM

Though, what I'd be thinking is:

2 editors (1 full-time, 1 part-time/casual if so)

4-6 writers (again, 4 full-time and 2 back up - though, the back up can always write too).

2 graphic people.

For each week, you the writers - for their articles, can claim 7 TPE. 6 TPE for a media spot, a 1 TPE weekly bonus for having a "mag job". Similar would be for the graphic boys, too. Editors, that would be in talks with Bek, Willy and such.

Depends on what being editor entails, I’m open to the positions but I may not be able to fulfill some of the roles software wise

3 hours ago, Trifecta said:

See the thing is this was tried before. The interest was there, a few editions were published and then everyone just ghosted from doing it. Not saying directly you guys will but I feel like once you guys hit the VHL, your interest in doing this will dwindle. I have seen it and said it myself before. You have to be 1000% committed to doing this and paying attention to the VHLM as a whole. If this gets revived yet again, don't half ass it either. Give us something that will draw us in and actually make us want to read it. Give us power rankings, star spotlights, struggles, success, trades, waivers moves, line changes. Make it exciting. I sure know for one if I am going to want to read it, I want something that will keep me interested.

Exactly. I think the hiring process would have to be different. Not “Yippee, someone applied. Let’s hire them”. 

If the sense the right ones didnt apply, don’t give the project wings to fly. 

• Admin

I think the VHLM magazine should be published primarily by VHLM players. Like I'd be willing to help out every now and then, I'm sure some of the GMs would too - @diamond_ace used to write about the VHLM for the VHL mag and I think had made a temporary transition to the VHLM one. @Tagger maybe as well in his scouting capacity... just spitballing here.

But I don't think there's any problem with core writers being VHLM guys - I see 11 interested guys just in this thread. Then when you move up to the VHL, I'm sure there would be scope to transition that to a full VHL mag and leave the VHLM mag as an opportunity for the next draft class. If the next class isn't as active, I guess it dies, but we'd probably have enough for a VHL mag.

Basically, I don't think there is much hope resurrecting a VHL mag with a core of older members at this time, so the alternative is this grassroots approach where the first season will pretty much have to be VHLM-centric since I don't expect you guys to be hugely knowledgeable on the VHL yet.

I'm down to create content, or gfx, as long as what's required is defined, and I think this should pass through to VHLM players, be responsible for VHLM mag, and get TPE towards their VHLM players - makes sense and a great way to get VHLMers up to snuff and to break and challenge the folk in the VHL.

@Enorama GFX/Editor

@eaglesfan036 Writing

@McWolf Writing

@SidTheKid87 Graphics

@oilmandan Writing

@DaftRaincloud Will do anything for TPE

@Jtww Writing

@Joobles Interviewing (I know it wasn’t on the list of things we need but a lot of cool articles/concepts can come out of interviewing members/players/gms)

@BarzalGoat Editor-in-chief most likely

@Arayvenn Writing/Editor

@Cornflakers Graphics

@ColeMrtz21 Writing/Editor

This is just a list of whose applied and what they applied for, we’ve got the interest and I think after screening everyone we should be set with a staff, @Will @Beketov what needs to be done for approval? We can try and organize a pilot mag just to see how it goes and then go from there if necessary.