Helsinki Titans Press Conference

Quik

1) Who do you project as the next break-out talent out of the Titans?

Jordan Tonn. he has already vastly improved from 34 points last season to 57 through 65 games.He and ACL are the next big names in Helsinki once the season 63 squad retires

2) Former Titan cup champion Matt Thompson announced his retirement this week; what message do you wish to leave him with?

Very well deserved retirement. So much talent still within him but so is the rules. Good luck!

3) Kronos Bailey and Julian Borwinn are tied at 68 points to lead the Titans. Who do you project will lead the team when game 72 is all said and done?

Borwinn now has 89 to Bailey's 85. Going to be close with Borwinn having the slight edge. Hope to see both in the all-star game this time around.

4) Does Alexander Pepper achieve his second Shaw trophy as top goalie?

Not this season as Finn Davison is on a tear. Pepper has another golden opportunity next season though!

5) To the surprise of many Calgary sold off their top two offensive threats last week (Diljodh and Ylonen). How does this effect the power rankings in the east?

While the Wranglers are still going to be in the playoffs, they are a much lesser foe. I suspect they get handled fairly easily in round one.

6) Who is our biggest threat if the playoffs started today?

Malmo for sure. They have since passed us by two points for first in the European Conference. Thompson is hungry to finish his career with a bang.

7) What is your favourite restaurant in Helsinki before or after a game?

We have some excellent Japanese-Fusion restaurants here in Helsinki. I'm still trying them all out so I wont list a favourite at this time.

8 ) Helsinki is unlikely to test the trade market, are you satisfied with this roster for the remainder of the season/playoffs?

We really didn't have much cap to make a move. We would have had to move out a significant piece to bring another in.

9) Out backup goalie has played 4 games thus far; when he is in the net do you play with a more defensive mindset?

Yes unfortunately our backup has had a rough go this season which gives the team more of a focus on defending. Not a preferred play style when we typically have such a strong offensive focus.

10) Looking at DC and Prague, who do you feel will climb higher in the standings next season?

Its close, I would give the edge to DC has two first rounders and a steady enough goalie. Step one is to re-sign Aaltonen. Prague is in need of a star caliber talent.

11) Which award do you want your player to achieve before you hang up the skates?

Winning the Continental Cup again would be the cherry on top.

12) The Titans only have one pending UFA this off-season (Orion Slade), what would you say to Orion to convince him to keep the full squad together?

66 points this season on our 2nd line is quite impressive with how much we rely on out big three. Stay the course and you'll be a leader on the Titans.

7) What is your favourite restaurant in Helsinki before or after a game?

Olo is a good place after a game. Only after a win though.

8 ) Helsinki is unlikely to test the trade market, are you satisfied with this roster for the remainder of the season/playoffs?

I think we have a squad that can compete for the Cup.

9) Out backup goalie has played 4 games thus far; when he is in the net do you play with a more defensive mindset?

I don't, but I'm sure the other guys do. It's just a little more uncertainty when Pepper isn't there.

10) Looking at DC and Prague, who do you feel will climb higher in the standings next season?

Next season? Probably DC. I like the foundation they have.

11) Which award do you want your player to achieve before you hang up the skates?

I'm here for team success not personal success. That stuff doesn't matter to me.

12) The Titans only have one pending UFA this off-season (Orion Slade), what would you say to Orion to convince him to keep the full squad together?

I'm not going to try and convince him. It's his choice, ultimately. He knows he's loved here. I want him to be happy with whatever he decides.

-->  :hel:Titans Off-season Presser :hel: <--

1) Put yourself in the shoes of Helsinki GM; what is your first order of business?

2) Can Helsinki run the power line of Borwinn-Bailey-Wilinsky and expect a stronger upcoming season or is it time for a shakeup?

3) Our roster is not set to change much at all unless we make a player for player deal or become an unexpected seller; are we still a top contender or do we drop off a bit?

4) What do you plan to focus on during the off-season to take your game to the next level?

5) What works best in your opinion; Star power up front or a collection of strong players and a deeper roster?

6) Would you bet on the Titans to win a cup before their S63 class retires?

@BarzalGoat @Quik  @Jubo07 @SidTheKid87 @monkeywrench15 @Sonnet @BluObieZ @RunnerBert11 @MexicanCow123 @okocha5 @Tophdaddy @TsarPeter @Jesse Nyman @NavyCanuck @MMFLEX @oilmandan @Antone10

1) Put yourself in the shoes of Helsinki GM; what is your first order of business?

pay off simon t to help Helsinki buy a key win or two

2) Can Helsinki run the power line of Borwinn-Bailey-Wilinsky and expect a stronger upcoming season or is it time for a shakeup? Maybe a more Balanced lineup may put us over the top?

3) Our roster is not set to change much at all unless we make a player for player deal or become an unexpected seller; are we still a top contender or do we drop off a bit? we can't go back with the same lineup with other teams improving. Need to find a way to improve 

4) What do you plan to focus on during the off-season to take your game to the next level? fighting off depreciation 

5) What works best in your opinion; Star power up front or a collection of strong players and a deeper roster? deep roster and overwhelming with many solid players

6) Would you bet on the Titans to win a cup before their S63 class retires? yes, but not my live savings 

1) Put yourself in the shoes of Helsinki GM; what is your first order of business?

To be honest i don't think this team is good enough to win the cup. I think it's time to rebuild. I would start by trading the big guns for some picks and work my way up again. 

2) Can Helsinki run the power line of Borwinn-Bailey-Wilinsky and expect a stronger upcoming season or is it time for a shakeup?

I think this team needs a shake up. So i would be switching that around.

3) Our roster is not set to change much at all unless we make a player for player deal or become an unexpected seller; are we still a top contender or do we drop off a bit?

If we stay where we are i think we might make the playoffs but i don't think we will be in the finals.

4) What do you plan to focus on during the off-season to take your game to the next level?

Just train hard. Work on my faceoffs, puck handling, and strength. Its hard to compete with those big goons in the VHL.

5) What works best in your opinion; Star power up front or a collection of strong players and a deeper roster?

I know that if you want to win the cup you need star power and a deep roster.

Hopefully. But i'm being totally honest i dont think we can.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:58 PM, Jubo07 said:

@BarzalGoat @Quik  @Jubo07 @SidTheKid87 @monkeywrench15 @Sonnet @BluObieZ @RunnerBert11 @MexicanCow123 @okocha5 @Tophdaddy @TsarPeter @Jesse Nyman @NavyCanuck @MMFLEX @oilmandan @Antone10

1) Let Orion leave, it sadly has to happen

2) Shake things up, the way we exited the playoffs is direct proof of it

3) You guys do lose Orion Slade so thats a loss of a 600tpe player. You need to offset that loss.

4) Finding a new team to play for. As much as I love playing in Helsinki it's time to move on

5) A mix of that. You need the good top line but have enough room to spread the wealth. But what do I know? I am the mastermind behind the short bus afterall

6) Sure why not? maybe Orion will return for another shot. Eventually. Not next season. But since he is only signing 1 year deals it is quite possible

On 10/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, Jubo07 said:

1) get another puck moving defenseman

2) I mean, yes? I don't know if you're able to expect a STRONGER upcoming season, but still a very good one. Shakeup would seem unfounded.

3) I don't want to answer this question. Way too stressful to think about business like that.

4) Rehabilitating, taking it easy. Then working with weights and skates, that's about it.

5) I would say both in combination, but I like a collection of strong players coming together.

6) I would do so, yes.

1 - Improving where possible and staying a playoff contender.

2 - Wilinsky is now gone so whoever we have being promoted to that line will have a fun season.

3 - Looks like we made some good deals and are a playoff likely team for the next season. Happy to be back with the Titans.

4 - defensive game

5 - I would say depth and looking at the roster I think we have a good combo of skill and depth. Jubo made good work of the cap space.

6 - We can as long as the lines get going. I signed here as I figured it was my best shot of the teams that sent me free agent contracts.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:58 PM, Jubo07 said:

Getting Wilinsky back in this jersey.

Yeah they can be a dominant line... Oh, wait... Where'd Wilinsky go?

We became much worse as soon as Wilinsky walked out of the locker room.

Therapy. I need to talk about my feelings or else I may whack the coach with my stick.

Deeper roster. Stars can't be on the ice the entire time. Might as well have consistency in every line.

You better bet your bippy.

-->  :hel:Titans Off-season Presser 2.0 :hel: <--

1) After viewing the roster reveal do you see us having a glaring weakness or in your opinion do we look set to compete?

2) The Titans held a captains vote this week; do you like the idea of a vote going forward or should it be up to the GM to appoint these roles?

3) If the rosters were set in stone, where do we finish in the EU conference? Who finishes ahead (if any in your opinion)?

4) Pre-season is just around the corner. Any nerves? or are you ready to hit the ice in full stride?

5) Which newcomer makes the biggest splash in week 1 (Aston Martin, Brian Strong, Joey Boucher, Nethila Dissanayake or Virgul Ligriv)?

6) In your opinion has your career gone to plan, exceeded expectations or fallen short of expectations?

@Quik @Sullvino @nethi99 @Wheaties @Tape-to-Tape @SidTheKid87 @monkeywrench15

@okocha5 @Antone10 @Sonnet @MMFLEX @Erik Summers @Jesse Nyman

@Harpskii @Gscx420 @Garrett @quanack

6 minutes ago, Jubo07 said:

1) After viewing the roster reveal do you see us having a glaring weakness or in your opinion do we look set to compete?

We might be a little too short defensively for a deep playoff run, but that's something that can still be solved before the trade deadline if things are looking promising.

2) The Titans held a captains vote this week; do you like the idea of a vote going forward or should it be up to the GM to appoint these roles?

I didn't vote because I hadn't spent much time in the LR yet, but I think that is something that the players should decide on. You need a captain that you trust.

3) If the rosters were set in stone, where do we finish in the EU conference? Who finishes ahead (if any in your opinion)?

I'm still new to the VHL, so I haven't paid a ton of attention to the rosters yet. I think the top three teams are kind of interchangeable for first place depending on who gets hot at the right time, but I think we will be one of them.

4) Pre-season is just around the corner. Any nerves? or are you ready to hit the ice in full stride?

I've been training hard. I'm ready to play.

5) Which newcomer makes the biggest splash in week 1 (Aston Martin, Brian Strong, Joey Boucher, Nethila Dissanayake or Virgul Ligriv)?

Joey Boucher. I'm excited to see what he does.

6) In your opinion has your career gone to plan, exceeded expectations or fallen short of expectations?

I couldn't have asked for a better first season in the minors. I'm a little jealous of guys that got called up this season, but that just give me a chance to win the Ryan Sullivan this year.

1- The titans roster has good depth. We maybe can upgrade something when the trading deadling is open.

2 - voting is a good way to get the members of the team involved.

3 - we look like a top 3 finish. It would be a surprise of we are not in a playoff position.

4 - nervous to play in front of these fans again as I am wondering of they are happy to have me back

5 - Aston Martin on the center for line 2. He can put some good points up.

6 - My goal was to win a cup and I was able to do that. Scoring 100 career goals is next.

1) After viewing the roster reveal do you see us having a glaring weakness or in your opinion do we look set to compete?

I don't see Dan Wilinsky on there. We're doomed.

Captains earning the respect of their peers is the way to go.

Would be silly not to have confidence in our squad. We're finishing first.

I'm nervous when I get ice time cuz I have to perform in front of the great Pepper.

We traded for Brian Strong so that son of a bitch better do something.

Fallen short. Too much time fucking around and not taking my career serious.

-->  :hel:Titans Post Week 1 Presser :hel: <--

It's that time again Titans.

I will try to have these out every Sunday or Monday for the corresponding week.

1) Are you satisfied with how the Titans have started off the season?

2) On a player level, what do you need to continue to work on to improve as the season progresses?

3) Virgil Ligriv celebrated his first shutout this weekend (in his first ever VHL start!). How did you congratulate him? (For Virgil, how did you celebrate the shutout?)

4) Which team has been the biggest surprise this far?

5) Our powerplay has left something to desire at just under 9%. The GM has been tinkering with the powerplay attempting to increase their output. Has this just been an unlucky outcome so far or is it time to switch things up more aggressively?

6) Water, Gatorade or Powerade? Which flavor do you prefer?

7) Who shows up on game-days in the best attire?

8 ) Aston Martin recently acquired his first hat-trick as a Titan. How did you congratulate him? (For Martin, how did you celebrate the hatty?)

9) With week 2 set to start do you feel like your game is up to snuff or are you just getting back into the swing of things?

10) Of our potential 14 or so games this week we play Riga 4 times. What do you do to prepare against a common opponent? (ex. watch video, view team statistics and line matchups...)

11) Who do you sit next to in the locker-room?

12) Who would you pick on the team to run through a target practice drill and expect to have the best time/accuracy?

Edited by Jubo07

1 - the team is playing fine to make the playoffs. We can be better and it will take time to learn the new system here.

2 - skating and puck handling

3 - gave him a big high 5 and offered to buy him dinner

4 - the phantoms but that is not going to last

5 - we have to stick to it and keep practicing

6 - yellow gatorade or water

On 11/17/2019 at 9:35 PM, Jubo07 said:

-->  :hel:Titans Post Week 1 Presser :hel: <--

1) Are you satisfied with how the Titans have started off the season?

2) On a player level, what do you need to continue to work on to improve as the season progresses?

3) Virgil Ligriv celebrated his first shutout this weekend (in his first ever VHL start!). How did you congratulate him? (For Virgil, how did you celebrate the shutout?)

4) Which team has been the biggest surprise this far?

5) Our powerplay has left something to desire at just under 9%. The GM has been tinkering with the powerplay attempting to increase their output. Has this just been an unlucky outcome so far or is it time to switch things up more aggressively?

6) Water, Gatorade or Powerade? Which flavor do you prefer?

7) Who shows up on game-days in the best attire?

8 ) Aston Martin recently acquired his first hat-trick as a Titan. How did you congratulate him? (For Martin, how did you celebrate the hatty?)

9) With week 2 set to start do you feel like your game is up to snuff or are you just getting back into the swing of things?

10) Of our potential 14 or so games this week we play Riga 4 times. What do you do to prepare against a common opponent? (ex. watch video, view team statistics and line matchups...)

11) Who do you sit next to in the locker-room?

12) Who would you pick on the team to run through a target practice drill and expect to have the best time/accuracy?

1.  The team is doing great!  I am excited to get a start with them when I am able to move up!

2.  I think I need to get my scoring ability up, I want to be a great goal scorer some day!

4. I am surprised to see Prague doing good right now, It's good to see that they are fighting for a spot in the playoffs second year!

6. I would have to say gatorade, Glacier Freeze is my top flavor at this very moment in time!

9.  I feel great about my game right now!  Still down in the VHLM but I am about to be tied with my points last year which is a good feeling!

12.  Dang, this one is tough.. It has to be a toss up between Kronos Bailey and Julian Borwinn, they are both insane!

Edited by Harpskii

-->  :hel:Titans Post Week 2 Presser :hel: <--

1) We ended week 2 with a 7 game win-streak; what has been the key(s) to success in your opinion?

2) Are you pleased with your personal performance over the previous week?

3) Take a look at McLovin's article here. How has this trade impacted the team from your point of view?

4) Who have you had the best chemistry with thus far?

5) With Pepper continuing to play at the top of his game and our young goalie in Ligriv posting exceptional numbers thus far; how does knowing you have strong goal-tending positively impact your game?

6) Hypothetically If you were late for practice one morning; which team-mate would you count on to cover for you?

Edited by Jubo07

1) We ended week 2 with a 7 game win-streak; what has been the key(s) to success in your opinion? Not saying the trade was the deciding factor, but it seems to be a big part of giving the team new chemistry and a drive to start winning again. Riding the momentum going forward has to be our best bet for continued success

2) Are you pleased with your personal performance over the previous week? I've been putting up decent numbers and I can't complain considering the opportunity Jubo's given me to play in Helsinki. I'll do my best to play to the highest ability here.

3) Take a look at McLovin's article here. How has this trade impacted the team from your point of view? Well statistically, very well so far. Shaking up the lines and getting momentum going has put us atop the league and on a great pace going forward. We're playing some elite hockey right now.

5) With Pepper continuing to play at the top of his game and our young goalie in Ligriv posting exceptional numbers thus far; how does knowing you have strong goal-tending positively impact your game? Having a strong tendy duo in net always gives the boys more confidence. Having a goalie bail you out once or twice a game always gives the boys a burst of energy and a drive to pot one in for him.

6) Hypothetically If you were late for practice one morning; which team-mate would you count on to cover for you? Well since I'm still new to the team, I better hope I'm not ever late to a practice considering I flew halfway across the world to play here, but I bet @Jubo07 would make a strong case for me ?

1-favorable trades and the lines have been going good. Happy to be back with the Titans.

2-jubo spoke to me and said I would be a depth role player. I am in for that and happy to fill in where I am needed. I have scored goal 100 and 101.

3-our lines feel more complete and strong. Jubo is wheeling and dealing when needed with positive results.

4-jubo and bailey

5-they have been great. Knowing they are there if we have a lapse gives us more confidence through the lines and d.

6-jubo for sure. We have been friends a while and I know he would be there to back me.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, Jubo07 said:

1) We ended week 2 with a 7 game win-streak; what has been the key(s) to success in your opinion?

Pretty sure it's because you came to your senses and stuck me in the net.

2) Are you pleased with your personal performance over the previous week?

Fuck yes! I'm a man in the net. Pepper isn't even having the success I am.

3) Take a look at McLovin's article here. How has this trade impacted the team from your point of view?

Oh trade? Wilinksy? Is he back? We'll win the ship with him back now! I'm so excited!

4) Who have you had the best chemistry with thus far?

Not that Brian Strong, guy. Real dick thinking he can come in and replace Wilinsky's back rubs.

5) With Pepper continuing to play at the top of his game and our young goalie in Ligriv posting exceptional numbers thus far; how does knowing you have strong goal-tending positively impact your game?

I am that strong goal-tending!

6) Hypothetically If you were late for practice one morning; which team-mate would you count on to cover for you?

Brian Strong. Cuz he knows what will happen to him if he doesn't.

-->  :hel:Titans Post Week 3 Presser :hel: <--

1) Our 14 game win-streak was ended just a couple days ago. What is your favorite moment from the streak?

2) We sit at the moment 1 point ahead of Vancouver for first in the league. What have you worked on the most to help this team continue to find success?

3) What is the best quality to have in a head coach?

4) Who is your neighbor in the locker room?

5) Do you expect Helsinki to be active on the market as we move closer to the trade deadline?

6) What is the worst pre-game meal you have ever had?

1) Our 14 game win-streak was ended just a couple days ago. What is your favorite moment from the streak? Just the fact that it happened, this team is elite and the win streak showed it. I couldn't be prouder to play for a team this good.

2) We sit at the moment 1 point ahead of Vancouver for first in the league. What have you worked on the most to help this team continue to find success? My offensive production and skating definitely, it's been my biggest downside and I've unfortunately been inconsistent when it comes to my offense, so I'm looking to improve there.

3) What is the best quality to have in a head coach? Adaptability, not every player is the same and coaches need to adapt to players that have come from different corners of the hockey world to play for you. Not every player had the same coach and once chemistry is made that way, coaches can make players do anything.

4) Who is your neighbor in the locker room? Peppy let me use the locker next to his when I first joined and was a role model to look up to. Absolute legend.

5) Do you expect Helsinki to be active on the market as we move closer to the trade deadline? Unless we start struggling, I don't see why you'd want to shake up the roster that just won 14 in a row. We're great right now and risking the chemistry at this point wouldn't make much sense.

6) What is the worst pre-game meal you have ever had? The worst I've had is no meal at all. Never go to a game on an empty stomach.

1-scored my career goal 100 during the wins

2-position on the ice by getting coaching from the defensive coach

3-having a belief in their players to learn the system and put on display what they learned

4-borwinn. It has been an honor to be able

to play with a living legend. He is someone I always looked up to.

5-I dont think we will need to make any moves. I trust Jubo with trading. His trading this season has resulted in big upside.

6-rushed to a game once and thought I could get by having a few energy bars. My stomach was grumbling all game.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:28 PM, Jubo07 said:

1) Our 14 game win-streak was ended just a couple days ago. What is your favorite moment from the streak?

Winning 14 times.

2) We sit at the moment 1 point ahead of Vancouver for first in the league. What have you worked on the most to help this team continue to find success?

I've really worked on my clapping hands as I sit from the bench and clap every time Pepper makes a save.

3) What is the best quality to have in a head coach?

Keeping Virgil's best friend on the team.

4) Who is your neighbor in the locker room?

Dan Wilinsky's ghost.

5) Do you expect Helsinki to be active on the market as we move closer to the trade deadline?

They fucking better be! Dan Wilinsky needs to be back in my arms!

6) What is the worst pre-game meal you have ever had?

The poison shit Brian Strong gave me before my first start. Still killed it though. That mother fucker couldn't keep me down.