9/11 17 years later

BluObieZ

Okay not exactly 17 years yet. But on Tuesday is 9/11. It only hit me today because fucking History Channel "THANKS ASSHOLES!" it hits me hard each year because I lost my sister. I was in NY when it happened and watched the tower fall knowing that she was inside. I tried my hardest to get to the building but was not able to get there on time. Hell if I did get there, I wouldn't be writing this right now. I guess I have survivors guilt. I don't talk to my family for a whole host of reasons but they did tell me after it happened that I should have tried harder to save her. Any fucking ways! This is not the reason why I am making this post. Do not post in here with patriotism, or slurs against muslims. This is for remembrance. Share your story of where you were when you found out. Did you know anyone who died?  

First time I will be on a Tuesday 9/11 since it happened on Tuesday 9/11 2001. It will be odd to say the least. Hell I am even flying on Tuesday. 

Edited by BluObieZ

I didn't know you had such a personal connection to this. Not trying to talk it down or make you feel worse, but there probably wouldn't have much you could do even if you made it there. I remember I was in grade 4 and every morning the teacher gave us a topic and we had to write in the journal. So the topic that day the teacher gave was write about what just happened in New York this morning. By the time we got to class in the morning on the west coast, it was already noon on the east coast. And I for sure knew my parents didn't watch the TV or listen to the radio for news when they wake up in the morning, and back then using Nokia dumb phones, we had no idea. And I didn't know what "terrorism" was when I was 7 years old. So when the teacher said something along the lines of planes crashed into buildings, I got all giddy and curious about it, and was sent to the principal's office for inappropriate behaviour or some shit

Edited by PH8

5 minutes ago, PH8 said:

I didn't know you had such a personal connection to this. Not trying to talk it down or make you feel worse, but there probably wouldn't have much you could do even if you made it there. I remember I was in grade 4 and every morning the teacher gave us a topic and we had to write in the journal. So the topic that day the teacher gave was write about what just happened in New York this morning. By the time we got to class in the morning on the west coast, it was already noon on the east coast. And I for sure knew my parents didn't watch the TV or listen to the radio for news when they wake up in the morning, and back then using Nokia dumb phones, we had no idea. And I didn't know what "terrorism" was when I was 7 years old. So when the teacher said something along the lines of planes crashed into buildings, I got all giddy and curious about it, and was sent to the principal's office for inappropriate behaviour or some shit

I know that most likely there was nothing I could do. She was above the impact site. 

Edited by BluObieZ

Just now, BluObieZ said:

I know that most likely there was nothing I could do. She was above the impact site. I

Even if she was below, there was nothing you could do. Don't mean to be an ass, but if everyone like you rushed to the area it would only add more chaos and confusion to the emergency services already there trying to evacuate, and those people in the building who ever already trying to get the hell out. I should end this before it possibly could get ugly, but don't feel bad about it if people said you didn't try your best or some shit.

2 minutes ago, PH8 said:

Even if she was below, there was nothing you could do. Don't mean to be an ass, but if everyone like you rushed to the area it would only add more chaos and confusion to the emergency services already there trying to evacuate, and those people in the building who ever already trying to get the hell out. I should end this before it possibly could get ugly, but don't feel bad about it if people said you didn't try your best or some shit.

I don't feel bad. Just question things that lead up to the tower following. I talked to her that morning. I was just getting back from a party so I was downright fucked. I heard the plane hit and i headed that way. Watching that tower fall was well... horrible. I'll just say that. I know she survived that impact of the plane. She called my mom, she even tried calling me but I was... getting head. I only found out after my buddy turned on the TV. Tried calling back and nothing. What if I answered that call? would I have been able to get to the tower in time? who the fuck knows. Thats the burning question that will pretty much haunt me the rest of my life. I'm not "depressed" or anything like that because of this. It's just haunting questions of what if. These questions only pop up once a year. The rest of the year I don't even think about it.

6 minutes ago, PH8 said:

To call them "People" is giving them too much credit. I don't talk to my family. Fuck them. I don't give them the time of day. My mom was on the phone with her as seconds before the tower fell. They won't tell me what her last words were. They won't tell me if she was trying to get out. I know for a fact they told her I was coming to get her. She and they knew I was in town. I was on my "30 cities in 30 days" party tour. So she might have thought I was coming. So her possible last thoughts were I failed her. I don't know anything. All I know I was in New York and I failed to get there.

2 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

To call them "People" is giving them too much credit. I don't talk to my family. Fuck them. I don't give them the time of day. My mom was on the phone with her as seconds before the tower fell. They won't tell me what her last words were. They won't tell me if she was trying to get out. I know for a fact they told her I was coming to get her. She and they knew I was in town. I was on my "30 cities in 30 days" party tour. So she might have thought I was coming. So her possible last thoughts were I failed her. I don't know anything. All I know I was in New York and I failed to get there.

Damn Robbie style. The last few years I have gone by this motto in life... "if people have free will to choose their husband/wife and divorces still happen, why the fuck am I not allowed to want a "divorce" or separation from my parents when I didn't even choose them?!"

22 minutes ago, PH8 said:

Damn Robbie style. The last few years I have gone by this motto in life... "if people have free will to choose their husband/wife and divorces still happen, why the fuck am I not allowed to want a "divorce" or separation from my parents when I didn't even choose them?!"

Huh?

I was in gym, junior year of high school. My gym teacher was a dick so I honestly thought he was making it up until my next period, a half hour study hall type thing, where the teacher confirmed. One guy I was actually pretty good friends with, left school early because his brother was working at the Pentagon and he wanted to be around if his parents found out anything (turned out he was fine).

Wow @BluObieZ, I know you're not looking for sympathy, but I'm sorry to hear about your story man.

I was 10 when it happened, and remember being in class hearing about everything happening, and talk of schools being shut down with kids sent home, even in my suburb of Toronto. It was pretty surreal, and I really couldn't comprehend exactly what was happening, just that something horrible was happening in the States. Even when I got home, I remember my dad being glued to CNN, and not understanding why - maybe movies had made me think this was some kind of common occurrence?

I don't have any connection to the victims of the attack, at least that I know of, but I've actually been in New York the past few years on 9/11 - purely by coincidence, it just lined up that the trips we planned worked around the day. I was at the parade in 2016, and that was pretty powerful, seeing all the different PDs from across North America standing together. The memorial site is pretty intense as well, though it really bothers me seeing all the people taking selfies with the remnants of the towers as if it's some tourist trap, completely disrespecting those who lost their lives.