Thoughts on Additions to the League - #NotinBOGpost

Advantage

Let’s switch it up this week and talk about some additions that have been made to this league since I was last a regular contributing member in it.  For the first time in around thirty seasons, I am not in the Board of Governors and therefore this is sort of where I can get my opinion out there until I may eventually end up back there.  Nevertheless, these are just my fairly uneducated opinions and first impressions on what has been going on.

VHL Portal - I personally think this is the biggest improvement the league has made in a considerable amount of time.  This is an idea that Devise had come up with a while back and admittedly I was quite skeptical, but now that I can use it and see how useful it can be, I am a little shocked on how into it I am.  As now both a user and updater I have become significantly more interested since playing around on the portal a lot more.  I hope to see more additions and improvements made to potentially allow for media spots and other tasks to be able to be completed on the portal.

Award Committee – A long talked about addition to the league for literally decades of seasons and it has finally been added to our great league.  With the rules set out, General Managers are now allowed to serve on the Award Committee and you can only service three consecutive seasons as there will be some rotations made.  This has been around for a couple of seasons now and haven’t really seen it too much in action, but I like the idea as a whole.  There were many times where it seemed as if General Managers just did not care about who they were taking or blindly favour their players and it was time to make a chance to how we voted for awards.  I, for one, am definitely a fan.

All-VHL Teams – This was an interesting idea that I never had read about when I was in the Board of Governors.  I am rather a fan of adding some new accomplishments and this is a great way to showcase some players who perhaps got overshadowed by a certain player or two but had incredible careers, like Volodymyr Rybak, Brick Wahl and Mitch Higgins.  These are players that would have far more impressive career resumes had this existed back then and paints a far more accurate picture of each player’s career.

Brand Sponsorship – A much newer development and one that has yet to be fully announced.  I have received some details from my BOG connection to one of its members (cough..Devise) and it seems like the idea is to run it somewhat like old football leagues did where you had each member get to choose between the brands, but with the ultimate idea being that it will run like a tournament essentially every few seasons to give off-seasons that don’t have World Cup’s, something to do.  I like the idea in theory but admittedly I liked the Super Cup too and that fell flat on its face so I will have to reserve judgment until more is announced.  If they are smart, I think they should take their time with this idea and give us incentive to actually care about it cause the Super Cup was a pointless waste of time that few cared about.