wtf sim?

Cornflakers

Well, that was certainly not expected ... both teams on paper are very close, but for some reason the Lynx stole the show during the playoffs, while being a fledgling team during the season. Very frustrating as a play to not win, of course, especially when you are one of the top (rated) players in the league at the time. To be held off the score sheet, but not only that, but to get destroyed as bad as the lynx destroyed the aces, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it's because we're new. Maybe it's because we don't know the intricacies of how things actually work ... who knows .... both goalies were on par,  from looking at the list on the portal we have 4 200 players, 5 if you include me (why am i not listed on there?). So that's G, D, LW, C, C ... looking at the lynx, they have 4, plus dan wilinsky is close, that makes it G, RW, D, D, RW ... Dan accounted for quite a few goals, and it looks like his build strategy forgoes the 'getting up to 70 then going from there' approach ... he overloaded SK and SC and it seems to be paying off ... overall, the lynx seem to have better D and Winger talent, where as the aces were stronger down the middle ... it's hard to carry the team with a few players as borwinn tried to do, but looking at the depth of the lynx, it's a bit disheartening. Actually, looking at it more closley, it's obvious.

Player Name Season TPE
G - Kallis Kriketers (S63) 260
D - Joseph McWolf (S63) 247
D - Lando Baxter (S62) 228
RW - Roctrion King (S62) 225
RW - Dan Wilinsky (S63) 187
RW - Vaydar Odinsson (S63) 166
C - Chance Matthews (S63) 146
LW - Chace Trepanier (S63) 135
D - Chat (S61) 90
D - Gregor Rasputinov (S63) 68
C - Braylon James (S63) 64
C - Jerome Mitchell (S63) 60
D - Robert Renner (S63) 53
G - Hinga Dinga Durgen Jr III (S60) 52
RW - Rzerk (S63) 40
RW - J.P Desjardin (S63) 30
C - Sam Hynes (S61) 30

vs 

Player Name Season TPE
LW - Julian Borwinn (S63) 267
C - Oleksiy Revchenko (S62) 243
D - Cayden Saint (S62) 208
G - Alexander Pepper (S63) 201
LW - Jose Gonzalez (S63) 187
D - Mountain Thunderfist (S63) 138
D - James Lombardi (S63) 116
D - B.B. Nat (S62) 81
RW - Jessy Thomas (S63) 80
C - Mike Lavallee (S63) 47
RW - Ho-Train (S63) 30
RW - Ian Drake (S63) 30
G - Leather Flasher (S61) 30

I wish it would let me put them side by side, but see stats.

9 Players for OTT close to or above 100

7+me Players for LVA close to or above 100

LVA - total players (13+me)

OTT - total players (17)

let's get rid of the 30rated do nothingers.

and you know what, at this point, it doesn't make sense, because the portal doesnt show sidney crosby on lva either, so it's useless and this was a huge waste of my time, hope you enjoyed reading it and this sim, hope the vhl is slightly more stable, doubtful though.

17 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

looking at the lynx, they have 4

Actually 5 I believe, because I'm not on that list there for some reason, but picked up two apples in that last game. Also I believe I'm the highest TPE in the league now, having just passed Crimson, so I may have been at least a bit of a difference maker ? 

STHS is a fickle beast. Teams that dominate during the regular season can get shut down easy in the playoffs. Its all about what line ups your putting out and what the other team does.

@Cornflakers Where did you get the team list from for Vegas? It's quite out dated.

Here was our final roster heading into the playoffs;

All Players Position Total TPE

Borwinn LW 267
Gonzalez LW 187
Lockwood LW 46

Revchenko C 243
Shawinganen C 216

Weyed RW 131
Boucher RW 122
Thomas RW 80
Train RW 30
Drake RW 30

Saint D 208
Crosby D 192
Thunderfist D 138
Lombardi D 116
Sullivan D 121

Pepper G 201
Durgen G 52

I agree the SIM really didn't do us justice in the playoffs for reasons I can't even begin to understand.

If I am indeed promoted to GM of the Aces I will certainly experiment more next season with line setups in hopes of making more sense of how the SIM works.

Edited by Jubo07

4 hours ago, Enorama said:

Actually 5 I believe, because I'm not on that list there for some reason, but picked up two apples in that last game. Also I believe I'm the highest TPE in the league now, having just passed Crimson, so I may have been at least a bit of a difference maker ? 

Umm, tpa counts in games. Tpe is just a bank and doesn’t affect the sim? I assume? Correct or no?

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

Umm, tpa counts in games. Tpe is just a bank and doesn’t affect the sim? I assume? Correct or no?

Correct. TPA = Total Points Applied.

TPE is total points but doesn’t matter if they are applied or not. TPA calculates how much has actually been added to the player.

7 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

That was just a bit of self-horn-tooting. Still, another 200 TPA player would make a difference, would it not?

12 minutes ago, Enorama said:

That was just a bit of self-horn-tooting. Still, another 200 TPA player would make a difference, would it not?

I wouldnt consider having my friends help me write a bunch of hof articles and donating as horn tooting, but yes, you’re correct. I thought you were on Yukon or something. So who knows what the teams even looked like. But certainly 3-4 200tpa defenders would crush our 1 or 2. So makes sense on that angle

5 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

having my friends help me write a bunch of hof articles

Hold on wut, the only one that someone helped me on was Victor with the builder article because I wasn't around when the guy was, all the others were entirely my own doing.

9 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Hold on wut, the only one that someone helped me on was Victor with the builder article because I wasn't around when the guy was, all the others were entirely my own doing.

Not trying to start anything here. All good. When you’re posting so much, and you say “giving so and so a shot with help from others” that kind of put me off, and I assumed you were “asking others” when you wrote you’re other hof articles. I wrote one myself, and the research and writing alone took me almost a day. If you truly wrote them all alone, great job for maximizing a tpe earning opportunity.

13 minutes ago, Cornflakers said:

Not trying to start anything here. All good. When you’re posting so much, and you say “giving so and so a shot with help from others” that kind of put me off, and I assumed you were “asking others” when you wrote you’re other hof articles. I wrote one myself, and the research and writing alone took me almost a day. If you truly wrote them all alone, great job for maximizing a tpe earning opportunity.

I needed some help from some people here and there with where to find the stats and such of course, but I really owe my success there to my bosses who don't give me enough shit to do at work ? so I sit here most of the day, and just took a couple hours to do the write up and all spread throughout the day.

This was a very interesting read, even with the rosters being out of date. TPE wise, yes Vegas had a better team. TPA wise it was a lot closer. Especially if you go into the index and look at each teams depth chart and overall ratings. It could even be said Ottawa was deeper in goal and on defence by that account. In the end it's a computer deciding everything and with how advanced and smart they've become, we should all just be thankful they haven't enslaved the entire human race already 

It's a 7 games series, so you're going to get unexpected results. If the best team always won, it wouldn't be exciting.

It sucks being on the dominating regular season team and losing early in the playoffs (I've been there before), but overall it keeps the league interesting.

So it's rigged because you lost? You finished the regular season with one more win than us, it's not like you were exactly dominating. I agree it could have been closer, but my guess is there's more to it than TPA, and we probably had better tactics to beat you than the other way around.

Vegas didn't really dominate OTT, you finished one win above them. I think yes it should have been closer but if Vegas won in 5, I don't think you'd be saying it was rigged or anything

Edited by ShawnGlade

3 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

Vegas didn't really dominate OTT, you finished one win above them. I think yes it should have been closer but if Vegas won in 5, I don't think you'd be saying it was rigged or anything

36 minutes ago, McWolf said:

So it's rigged because you lost? You finished the regular season with one more win than us, it's not like you were exactly dominating. I agree it could have been closer, but my guess is there's more to it than TPA, and we probably had better tactics to beat you than the other way around.

I might be missing something but I don't think he ever tried to say it was rigged. Moreso that Vegas deserved to win (debatable) and didn't.

7 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I might be missing something but I don't think he ever tried to say it was rigged. Moreso that Vegas deserved to win (debatable) and didn't.

I tried to read between the lines and took it a step too far I guess. It's just the feeling i had from the OP.

3 hours ago, McWolf said:

Sure have heard a lot of your first sentence lately.... :) 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:

@Victor @Beketov @sterling who was it that actually rigged in the first few seasons? Was it Scotty?

Sterling says he played around with the sliders for Jenskovic, his defenceman and made a lower scoring league but that's the extent of the evidence. I don't know if the sliders were cranked up to be offensive for Campbell. Equally it's not unfathomable that he was the best player in the league as he had the most TPE by a fair amount (and 400 to 600 is a bigger difference than 800 to 1000) having a guaranteed 9 TPE/week. So I personally don't think it was full on riggery if at all.