2013-14 | Calgary Springbank 1 Peewee | 20 GP | 19 G | 13 A | 32 P

2014-15 | Calgary Springbank 1 Bantam | 18 GP | 12 G | 15 A | 27 P

2015-16 | Calgary Springbank 1 Bantam | 20 GP | 19 G | 24 A | 43 P

2016-17 | NWCAA Stamps Midget | 42 GP | 14 G | 14 A | 28 P

2017-18 | NWCAA Stamps Midget | 27 GP | 14 G | 19 A | 33 P

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

Strengths

1. Speed

John Madden is very good at getting up the ice quickly. He is especially good at end-to-end rushes where the puck quickly leaves the defensive zone. He can speed past most opponents with or without the puck. John has very quick acceleration for his age and lead his midget AA team in breakaways last year with 18 as well as breakaway goals with 5. His explosive speed in action is a sight to behold.        

2. Shooting

Throughout his entire playing career, John Madden has been fine-tuning his snapshot, which makes it one of his most lethal weapons on the ice. His signature play is to start in his own end and when there is a turnover and his team gets the puck, he tears down the left section of the rink at full blast, leaving all opposing attackers and often defenders in the dust. As he crosses the red-line, his centerman passes him the puck and he streaks in to the opponent's zone. When he gets to the hash-marks, he rips the puck using his deadly snapper and often nails the top-right corner. It was a play he used over and over again in midget. Simple, but unstoppable when executed correctly.

3. Passing

Madden isn't exactly known for his passing and defenders tend to focus way more on his scoring ability, when he is in the slot. However, though Madden shoots way more than he passes, his play-making ability is the most underrated part of his game. When he does make a pass, it's almost always right on the tape and some experts say that if Madden started passing more, he could be known as one of the elite play-makers in minor hockey. He isn't often involved in the play in his own end so he gets less passing opportunities then some. When he has the puck, he is normally way ahead of his teammates and there is not much chance of a pass there either. But in the rare scenario where he does get a chance to pass, he almost always cashes in the assist.

Weaknesses

1. Defense

Madden's defensive ability is definitely his biggest deficit. He is almost non-existent in his own end. He rarely touches the puck, never poke checks, blocks shots or clears the puck. He just sits there until there is a turnover. He has said in a recent interview that he has tried in the past to bring up his defensive game but his coaches have always said to just stick to offense. He is at the point where he has given up on trying to play defense but his work ethic on offense just about makes up for it completely.

2. Checking

Checking is something that, unlike many other aspects of the game, never quite clicked for Madden. When ever he tries to poke-check, he mistimes it and takes a tripping penalty. When he tries to stay with his check, they always out-muscle him by pushing and when he pushes back, he takes interference penalties. Checking is another thing that Madden is about ready to give up on but not all hope is lost because the odd time he does strip a defensemen of the puck as he is leaving his own zone.

3.Strength

While Madden isn't exactly a small player, he struggles with some of the more physical aspects of the game. He is learning how to be tougher on the puck as to not give it up so easily. Madden also believes that getting stronger will improve his game all-around. His strength is not so much a weakness, but more a focus for him while trying to improve.

dw_josh_maser_prince_george_2018-03-28.jpg.8ca7ee7ab5b589055ddc96d2c7dcdc1a.jpg

Madden in 2016-17 season.

On October 9th, 2018, John Madden was signed to the VHLM team, Halifax 21st.

Edited by Thranduil

@Mcwolf yeah man, I'm truly sorry that I didn't sign with you. I hope I didn't let you down too much. It just seemed to me like Halifax needed my help more.

EDIT: I was good at tagging people eh @McWolf? Funny to see how things were before we were crammed together in an office every day lmao.

Edited by Thranduil