What more could the portal do?

Beketov

• Commissioner

We’re back again, the old man of the VHL! This week I’m not looking backwards at all but rather forwards and talking about what more the portal could do for the VHL.

A lot of you guys are new which means you’ve never existed in a pre-portal VHL. That’s weird to me since I did myself for like 10 years but I’ll ignore that. The reason I mention this is because the portal has definitely not existed for the majority of the VHL’s life span. @Will‘s Baby has come a long way in a short time from he original design I sketched up and it continues to evolve in huge ways. The biggest two inarguably would be the player and team management sections which have completely re-shaped both the amount of stuff we need to keep track of and the amount of manual work that’s needed. We also have a bunch of under the hood type stuff that regular members don’t see but makes our lives as blues much easier. For example for 10 years the summer posted each game, 1 at a time, by hand. Now we press 1 button and could post an entire season if we wanted to.

Anyway, I’m rambling. My topic for discussion this week is what do you think we should add to our already bustling portal? My gut says the next thing that should logically be looked at is the player store since we have finances and stuff all linked now anyway. After that I don’t know, I’m nearly out of ideas, so what do you guys have? Could be potentially be at the point where trying to figure out how to merge the two sites makes sense? Who knows, let’s chat.

An away list so people can post that they're away for a few weeks or something? I know we have a thread here but it would be cool to add it to the portal too.

Also a number claim system would be interesting all be it useless in reality. Just somewhere people can say their player is wearing ____ number for that team.

Edited by Tyler

For GM’s; Submitting lines files wheras they would automatically overwrite our previous lines file. Removes the need for emailing in lines and reduces human error of a file being missed.

1. Auto Salary bracket/financing -  The portal knows the bracket and auto calculates contracts etc all while knowing the TPA cut off dated for the next season. 

2. Add some colour to it. The portal is amazing, as is the forum. However, a messy, unorganized or aesthetically blah look can deter a project as the such. Add some colour? Decorate that shit. It is great, now let’s make it look great. 

3. Player Store = Portal. Basically follow suit as number. Player store manager runs it, keeps it in track. 

4. Fantasy League? Able to add that on there?

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

3. Player Store = Portal. Basically follow suit as number. Player store manager runs it, keeps it in track. 

Yes please. This feels like the most realistic option as well, with contracts being moved onto the portal.

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Jubo07 said:

For GM’s; Submitting lines files wheras they would automatically overwrite our previous lines file. Removes the need for emailing in lines and reduces human error of a file being missed.

This is actually something on my list for Team Management - especially because STHS can actually be configured to pull lines directly from a server, meaning the simmer would only have to hit "Load all lines" before simming and they would all be updated. Only didn't add it at launch due to time constraints - wanted to get the system out before off-season.

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

2. Add some colour to it. The portal is amazing, as is the forum. However, a messy, unorganized or aesthetically blah look can deter a project as the such. Add some colour? Decorate that shit. It is great, now let’s make it look great. 

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the 'clean' look of the portal - keeping most stuff black/white but adding color where it makes contextual sense (like red buttons when your deleting something, that kind of thing). But I see where your coming from with this. I'm not graphically or design savy whatsoever, so that would definitely have to be something of a team effort. 

4. Fantasy League? Able to add that on there?

The short answer to this is yes, but there's a couple different options. First of all, it would be really easy to track fantasy points. That part is no problem. The bigger question is how to get the fantasy rosters on there. If we kept the current system of group drafts - it's definitely possible but not necessarily worth it at all, from my perspective, to build such a drafting system on the Portal. So if we kept the drafting system, I would probably prefer to have the person in charge of VHFL enter the rosters manually.. the cost-benefit of building a draft for fantasy just doesn't add up to me. Now, if we went back to the old system where each person makes their own roster under a salary cap - that would be a lot easier. 

12 minutes ago, Will said:

Now, if we went back to the old system where each person makes their own roster under a salary cap - that would be a lot easier. 

I like that format. Would eliminate the need to wait for others that delays drafts by so much lol

• Admin

wtf are you talking about, it looks good.

Pretty colours =/= professional look

One thing I hope the Portal can eventually do is the PT system. It'd be very optimal if players submitted Blog posts for media spots, we had a featured area (we sort of already do) where that stuff gets sorted/stored based on quality/promotion. And then if you wanted to find any individual members work, you just click on their name in the portal and you can go to their media spots tab, or graphics tab, etc. This would also ideally automate that a little bit to make it a bit easier to update. Not that it isn't super easy already, but sharing links for certain things when your doing multiples for the same task for example are still a bit annoying. 

I also think it'd be great if we had a spot on the portal that promoted/featured the VHLM Mag a bit more. More out there/quality of life stuff this is though and I know Will is still hard at work on a lot of the more core features, even some suggested in this thread. 

Edited by Devise

Be kind of cool if there was a complete advanced stats/bio page for each individual player containing all their career particulars from VHLM inception to VHL retirement, instead of having to search around for different links to find anything related to that player.

One page could contain all their on ice stats each season and have another page containing links with everything pertaining to the member ie. awards won, forum posts etc. from other members or that individual themselves.

I think it would be so much easier to access all of this from one or two links in the portal. When I look up my stats I have to click around the site to find things. I think it could be more condensed into one or two portal links. And for some reason I'd like to see an advanced calculator as well.

• Senior Admin
10 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

Be kind of cool if there was a complete advanced stats/bio page for each individual player containing all their career particulars from VHLM inception to VHL retirement, instead of having to search around for different links to find anything related to that player.

One page could contain all their on ice stats each season and have another page containing links with everything pertaining to the member ie. awards won, forum posts etc. from other members or that individual themselves.

I think it would be so much easier to access all of this from one or two links in the portal. When I look up my stats I have to click around the site to find things. I think it could be more condensed into one or two portal links. And for some reason I'd like to see an advanced calculator as well.

I mean, it kind of sounds like you are looking for player pages https://vhlportal.com/players/playerfocus/237