A letter to the VHLM

diamond_ace

Dear VHLM,

Let it be known that in both of the last two drafts, Ottawa has wanted to continue drafting. In both of the last two drafts, there were still people on my board. Admittedly, the vast majority of these people ended up going inactive, but for the sake of correcting the record of "every GM passed" - Sidney Crosby was on the board. John Madden was on the board. Obviously we can't just draft into perpetuity or we'd still be there, but I'm uncomfortable with continuing the notion of claiming no one noticed these guys. There wasn't much to notice in either case, I'll admit - in both cases they were near the bottom of the board and the only indication was recency of last visit, which is kind of the last bastion of anything and essentially a lottery ticket (and it fails the vast majority of the time, hence having guys like Ajay Minhas on the board in the same category, who have never been seen again). I've let that be the record for the sake of not making waves. In old drafts, there was no sense in pushing because at that point, half the drafts there weren't people and the other half there was only 1-2, all of which ended up leaving. In newer drafts, there have been closer to 10 people. Still a lottery ticket, sure, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery if you have 10 tickets. @Banackock can even vouch since the last draft was just a few days ago - I said at the end to him "I can keep taking guys" but that I would stop if the others wanted to stop. It's fine, both guys ultimately went to teams and it didn't end up hurting in the end, but I'm getting a little tired of sitting there and hearing how I let a guy pass that was in fact on my board, twice.

- Sincerely,
The Vet.

Vouching and agreed. In my opinion, and how it should have been handled as is the VHL draft, but team will give a “pass”. @Will

unsure if if that’s an option, but later in the draft if teams are done drafting, pass or pass test of teams picks should be a thing. This would get rid of this problem. 

Maybe for the next draft that could be a rule? As long as one team still wants to pick and has room on its roster, the draft continues? 

If I'm correct you can cut inactives later on, so why not keep going? Leave 4 or 5 spots open for free agents if you want. 

I agree with @diamond_ace 10 lottery tickets sure feels nicer than just 1.

If any of this is aimed at me since obviously I've brought it up a lot in my S63 Draft Rankings quite a bit, you made a post in the Draft discord (I was able to see it as it had been used for a VHLM Draft when I was a VHLM GM) at the end where you said "I'm good with what I have" while it was in the middle of a round (so would probably have been able to pick a player had you wanted to), so it wasn't like I've said something where there was conflicting evidence saying otherwise.

But for the record, I do think that drafts should continue until there is no longer a player that a team wants to draft, regardless of if any other team votes to stop picking. 

6 minutes ago, Tagger said:

If any of this is aimed at me since obviously I've brought it up a lot in my S63 Draft Rankings quite a bit, you made a post in the Draft discord (I was able to see it as it had been used for a VHLM Draft when I was a VHLM GM) at the end where you said "I'm good with what I have" while it was in the middle of a round (so would probably have been able to pick a player had you wanted to), so it wasn't like I've said something where there was conflicting evidence saying otherwise.

But for the record, I do think that drafts should continue until there is no longer a player that a team wants to draft, regardless of if any other team votes to stop picking. 

It wasn't directed at you, it wasn't directed at anyone, just the general notion that everyone passed on them. I know how it feels to be passed on - Intranquilo was drafted after a pass, so it's a bit of a personal sticking point. So far it seems to be fueling them rather than discouraging them (at least Crosby, Madden is new enough that I've yet to really discern the pattern) but having been on the other side of it, I want to make sure they know they were at least noticed on some level