S62 Hall of Fame Induction

Beketov

• Commissioner

Each season the VHL honours its past players and members by selecting the elite few who will enter the vaunted Hall of Fame. This season we present two new players into the status of VHL mythology within it's walls. 

However, this season we also remove another player from eligibility. it has been decided by the voting committee that Wesley Kellinger shall henceforth be removed from future HoF ballots. As discussed previously in order to be removed a player must be on the ballot for a minimum of 15 seasons and be voted out by a majority.

With that out of the way, I present the Season 62 VHL Hall of Fame class:

C - Fredinamijs Krigars, S54-S60 :rig:

RS: 504 GP, 332 G, 406 A, 738 P, +208, 300 PIM, 324 HIT, 250 SB, 52 GW

PO: 36 GP, 20 G, 32 A, 52 P, +10, 15 PIM, 50 HIT, 10 SB, 5 GW

S56 Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved)

S57 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S57 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S58 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S58 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists)

Two Continental Cups (S57, S58)

G - Apollo Skye, S51-S58 :dav::que:

RS: 517 GP, 275 W, 192 L, 48 OTL, 2.14 GAA, .927%, 83 SO

PO: 63 GP, 30 W, 24 L, 8 OTL, 2.37 GAA, .929%, 1 SO

S51 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Top Rookie)

S53 Scotty Campbell Trophy (MVP)

S53 Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved)

S57 Scotty Campbell Trophy (MVP)

S57 Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goalie)

One Continental Cup (S56)

Anyone looking at the voting numbers last season may be under the impression that Fredinamijs Krigars wasn't close to being brought into the Hall of Fame; they would also be wrong. While he was beaten out by one of his former teammates last season there's no denying that this year belongs to @hedgehog337's former player. Part of Riga's dynamic duo that led the team to back to back Continental cups in S57 and S58, Krigars was one of the most dominant forces of a generation as far as VHL forwards are concerned. Bringing home the Szatkowski Trophy for most points in back to back seasons and adding a Beketov and Slobodzian to boot is no small task but that's exactly what this man did. Playing his entire career for the Riga Reign Krigars bled Orange to the tune of 738 points which is good for 5th since S50, no small task considering he only played 7 seasons instead of the full 8. Krigars was an intimidating presence in the league for those 7 seasons and now he has his rightful place in the VHL Hall of Fame!

Mistakes were made in the S59 Hall of Fame ballot; somehow no one was added to it that season. For the most part, this meant nothing. However it also meant one glaring oversight which has now been gratefully resolved. @Velevra is often not the most outspoken VHL member but with Skye he let his play on the ice do the talking for him. Not many players can bring him 2 Campbell trophies in their career, even fewer goalies can do so. However Skye did just that, bringing him the MVP award in S53 and S57. From his entrance into the league in S51, where he took home Rookie of the Year honours, it was clear that a generational talent was amongst us but it wasn't util 2 seasons later when he joined the Quebec City Meute that it became truly apparent. Skye sits 4th all-time in goalie shutouts and now sits amongst legend as well in the VHL Hall of Fame!

This season we also induct a new builder into the VHL Hall of Fame as @Devise joins the long list of monumental builders that have come before him. To name everything Devise has done for the league would be near impossible but I would be remised not to at least mention many amazing runs as a VHL GM and a near constant presence in the BOG; two roles he continues to maintain to this day. In addition it would be most unjust to neglect his time as a member of the commissioner team, helping lead the league through one of its most challenging times in recent memory. The landscape of the VHL would be very different today if Devise's constant 3+ paragraph posts had never graced our board and we are a better community for it. For his incredible work in front of and behind the scenes Devise now takes his place amongst the Builders of the VHL Hall of Fame!

Congratulations to both new entrants in the Hall of Fame!

Induction Voting Results

Fredinamijs Krigars - 12/14

Apollo Skye - 11/14

Markus King - 3/14

Jakab Holik - 1/14

Tyson Kohler - 0/14

Wesley Kellinger - 0/14

Lukas Müller - 0/14

Builder Voting Results

Devise - 6/14

Quik - 5/14 

No One - 3/14

Removal Voting Results

Wesley Kellinger - 10/14

No One - 4/14

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

giphy.gif

October 18th, 2018 - the day when my player made the HoF for the first time.

- planned him to be "just for VHLM" player

- made the hall instead jordanlaff

Imagine where his stats could have wound up with an extra season. Even if you had your lowest scoring season that would have put you over 800 points.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Imagine where his stats could have wound up with an extra season. Even if you had your lowest scoring season that would have put you over 800 points.

Well, Petenis was still my main player so I can't complain. 

STHS really likes centres here.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

STHS really likes centres here.

Apparently I need to stop focusing on wingers even if I do hate adding to face offs haha

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, Molholt said:

6/14 gets in for Builder? Interesting 

There’s a reason that the “no one” option exists. If BOG members feel no one up for builder fits the bill they don’t get in.

Normally it would be higher but normally the vote is just 1 person not 2. Hardly seems reasonable to give it to neither member because of a close vote (when the no one option was lower) and giving it to Quik with less votes doesn’t make sense.

3 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

giphy.gif

October 18th, 2018 - the day when my player made the HoF for the first time.

- planned him to be "just for VHLM" player

- made the hall instead jordanlaff

More HoF players than I'll ever have. Seriously though sir, congrats. Also congrats to Skye as well. And I'm sure in a seasons time we'll be inducting Quik into the Builder section too so we'll save our congrats of that till next season. :cheers: 

18 hours ago, Beketov said:

There’s a reason that the “no one” option exists. If BOG members feel no one up for builder fits the bill they don’t get in.

Normally it would be higher but normally the vote is just 1 person not 2. Hardly seems reasonable to give it to neither member because of a close vote (when the no one option was lower) and giving it to Quik with less votes doesn’t make sense.

I just figured it would still be a majority needed at least, just interesting. 

If the votes split 5/5/4, with 4 being no one - would both get in?

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I just figured it would still be a majority needed at least, just interesting. 

If the votes split 5/5/4, with 4 being no one - would both get in?

No because no one would have a majority at all so no one would get in because of a hung BOG so to speak. Or, more likely, we’d go to a tiebreaker vote.

We’ll be handling HoF stuff mid-season going forward so we’ll be attempting to have any tiebreaker votes done in advance. In this situation though I have no issue with Devise getting in simply because we had a builder ballot of 2.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

No because no one would have a majority at all so no one would get in because of a hung BOG so to speak. Or, more likely, we’d go to a tiebreaker vote.

We’ll be handling HoF stuff mid-season going forward so we’ll be attempting to have any tiebreaker votes done in advance. In this situation though I have no issue with Devise getting in simply because we had a builder ballot of 2.

Yeah I was just trying to make sense of it. We're re-determining the regulations around our HoF so I was curious. 

I think I'd have voting between the two members to see which one even makes the ballot, and then have one member and one none option on the official ballot. 

• Commissioner
Just now, Molholt said:

Yeah I was just trying to make sense of it. We're re-determining the regulations around our HoF so I was curious. 

I think I'd have voting between the two members to see which one even makes the ballot, and then have one member and one none option on the official ballot. 

That’s our plan moving forward. With doing this during the off-season (especially with how fast our offseasons can go now sometimes) there wasn’t time for that vote so both were put on the ballot, I wasn’t really expecting the results to be as close as they were. We’re moving the HoF discussions to mid-season which should allow for the usual 1 builder per season to be on the ballot.

Everyone was fairly deadset on Quik being the builder nominee until someone realized late in the process that Devise wasn't a builder yet, and with both being deserving candidates it split the vote (tbh I was surprised to see as many 'no one' votes as we did).

Edited by .sniffuM