Rookie Profile - Curits Gary [1/2]

CurtisG93

SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN — We’re edging closer and closer to the start of a brand new season in the VHLM and it’s time for another rookie profile. Today we dive into the profile of an up and coming forward looking to break out onto the VHL scene. So without further ado let’s take a look at the Saskatoon Wild’s forward Curtis Gary.

Name: Curtis Gary
VHLM Team: Saskatoon Wild
Drafted: 26th overall Season 63 (5th round, 2nd pick)
Jersey Number: 17
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 185 lbs
Birthplace: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Influenced by: Patrice Bergeron, Radek Faksa, Anze Kopitar,

Strengths

Faceoffs: With more emphasis being put on the details in the game of hockey in 2018, it’s very important to start with the details that can help out other areas of a players game. Faceoffs are the focal point to any center positions career. If your numbers are poor in the faceoff dot they can reflect quickly on your teams overall performance. As we all know you need to posses the puck to score or even have a chance of scoring. Faceoff wins lead to possession, which in turn can ultimately lead to scoring chances. Curtis has prided himself on making this his number one priority in his game. “I feel it’s more important, than a lot of people put emphasis on, to win that initial draw. Sure you can always win it back by working hard to steal the puck from the other team, but I don’t want to put myself and my teammates in a position to chase the game. If I can win the draw at least 55% of the time, in a game, it gives our team a good chance to win every night”.

Defense: Anze Kopitar and Patrice Bergeron are two NHL Selkie Trophy winners who understand the responsibilities of center ice men. You have to be a two way player to play the center position. It takes a good scoring touch and forecheck, along with good conditioning and defense to really thrive at that position. Curtis may be an offensive player, but he grew up with defense in his heart. “I love the old saying, ‘defense wins championships’, and it’s so true without defense from everyone on your team it can be a long season. I grew playing defense in soccer, before I got into hockey. I think playing that position, even in a different sport, really gave me the perspective that I needed to understand that defense isn’t just something that happens, it takes a lot of conditioning, heart, and the right mental state”.

Shot: Curtis’ shot is one of the most underrated in the league. The 5th round draft pick is going into the season looking to change opinions on his shot. “I think it’s good motivation, getting drafted in the 5th round, to show all the teams that skipped over me what they were truly missing in my shot”.

Weaknesses

Skating: Curtis’ skating could defiantly use some work. Don’t expect to see Curtis skating circles around opposing players. But I expect we might be talking a different story by the end of the season.

Discipline: Win the special teams battle, you just might win the game. But staying out of the sin bin will be a work in progress for Curtis.

Strength: Only weighing in at 185 lbs and standing 5’11”, strength is not one of Curtis’ , well, strengths. Only a rookie, nonetheless. By next season it could be a different story.

Good job with this. I find it funny how you put so many words into your strengths and not much into your weaknesses. It makes sense, it's way more fun talking about what you're good at.

Review: It is funny because we seem to write a lot alike. When you look at the formatting from the Centering to bolding, we do look a lot alike. I wish there was a picture at the top, but that is just being nit-picky. You definitely seem like you are going to be a hell of a player when you look at being compared to guys like Kopitar and Bergeron. 5th round just gives the reason to prove everyone wrong. Overall, awesome job. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Rookie Profile - Curits Gary [1/2]