fdc.png

PLAYER PROFILE

Player Name: Finn Davison

Position: G

Height: 75 in.

Weight: 176 lbs.

Birthplace: London, England 

Team: Ottawa Lynx (VHLM)

Finn Davison is a goaltender in the Season 64 Draft signed to the Ottawa Lynx on a 1 year contract. He is a UK National who came to the VHL after playing some soccer during his childhood. 

STRENGTHS

Hand Speed: When you look at this guy, you have to be concerned when trying to shoot glove side. His hand speed is going to be one of the strengths of his game. He may have some spots to shoot, but when you look at trying to score on a guy that is only 6'3", you will likely try to shoot high. If you want to test his glove hand, you certainly could, but I would absolutely suggest not. He is weak in other places that I will go into later, but hand speed is something that he is very good at. Some people have even called him the cat. 

Rebound Control: Another part of his game that pretty much goes with having great hand speed is the fact that you can control your rebounds. He is not the biggest guy in the world, so keeping the shooter to only 1 shot rather than multiple with others around him is going to be key to his success. He is someone that has worked on that and thus worked on his Hand Speed when those pucks would typically go right back out front. He has also worked on his blocker and being able to direct those pucks to the corner rather than the middle of the attacking zone. 

Team Player: Not exactly something that you can look at him and say, but he is someone that does what he can for the team. I think Ottawa will see this right off the bat with the fact that he will be sharing time with JB Rift who is someone that has been vying for that opening night position. He is willing to do what it takes to get better and make the team better. If that means coming off the bench, that is absolutely something he is willing to do. He will not be someone that will be in for the money, but he certainly knows his limitations and will look to others to help him. It is a guy you want in the locker room for your team without question. 

WEAKNESSES

Agility: It is so weird to put this as a weakness when one of his strengths is reaction time, but he is someone that struggles a little bit with his agility. He has a hard time switching directions and sometimes going post to post on shots such as wrap-a-rounds. Because he exerts so much energy to get from post to post to compensate for his lack of agility, he will get tired easy. There is a question of his endurance which is great for having that second goaltender. When you think about it, he is someone you want in net, but do not overwork him, that will not end well. 

Puck Control: Do not trust him with the puck outside of the crease, if he comes out, please just tell him to back in his net. He causes more issues than creating things with the amount of mistakes he makes outside of the crease. This could be something that will come with time or experience, but right now, that is an extreme limitation to his game. He will absolutely have to improve on this to be someone to consider even fielding the puck outside of the blue area. 

Naive: This guy is someone that you will like in the locker room, but remember, he is 18 years old. He will still do dumb things. He probably will need someone that is a little more of a veteran to keep him in line and make sure that he stays on the straight and narrow. I am not sure if this is a very bad weakness, but it is something that will come with experience. If you are expecting a leader right off the bat, this is not him. He is stubborn and cocky as well as confident. Of course, how can you be a team player but cocky? When it comes to his skills, he knows that he can be great and that gets in his head. I would definitely say that he gets in his head more than he gets in other's heads. That is a very big concern, but something that will wear off in time. 

Review:

Really good, well balanced. This guy seems great and will be a great part of the VHL. I thought the Agility being a weakness was weird as well, because of his reaction time, but your explanation made it make sense and it worked. Great article, and I look forward to meeting you on the ice.

-Ryuu Crimson