Vancouver Wolves Press Conference

Beaviss

On 2/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, Spyro said:

1. It looks like we are going to finish in 1st place for the NA conference, who do you think we will be matched up against for the playoffs?

2. Who do you think has been our team’s MVP for the regular season?

3. Who do you think will be our team’s top performer for the playoffs?

4. This week was the “Potential Hall of Famers” theme week. Who do think will be a future Hall of Famer from our current roster?

5. What are your player’s plans for next season?

6. How do you like our chances at bringing a cup home to Vancouver?

7. If you are in contention for any of the player awards, how do you like your chances at winning one this season?

8. If you could be anyone else in the VHL for a day, who would it be and why?

1. Seattle mostly because I'm from the future and I worry about them

2. I have to give it to Eagles due to him just crushing it and keeping us in a lot of teams.

3. I hope HHH he always seems to step up when we need him.

4. HHH

5. I plan on trying to be the best LW in the league.

6. I hope we have a better chance than we do right now.

7. Zero, I regressed

8. Idk I like who I am.

2. Who do you think has been our team’s MVP for the regular season?

I would probably say Greg Eagles for this one.

3. Who do you think will be our team’s top performer for the playoffs?

We will need Eagles to come up big for us.

4. This week was the “Potential Hall of Famers” theme week. Who do think will be a future Hall of Famer from our current roster?

Julius Freeman.

5. What are your player’s plans for next season?

Continue to develop offensively while rounding out my defensive game.

7. If you are in contention for any of the player awards, how do you like your chances at winning one this season?

I think I stand a fairly good chance at the most improved player award.

8. If you could be anyone else in the VHL for a day, who would it be and why?

Beav. I just want to see how that brain works.

1. What colour hockey tape do you use on your stick?

2. Have you heard the Dok and Spyro League News podcast yet?

3. Me and Dok had Beaviss as a guest on our podcast recently, would you ever want to be a guest on the podcast?

4. We seem to be heading towards some possible roster changes next season. If you could have 1 player from anywhere join our team, who would you pick?

5. If you heard there was another expansion team on the way, would you want to be the first GM (or even play there)?

6. Should the draft lottery odds be changed?

7. What position do you think the Wolves need to draft for above anything else?

8. If we were swept in the first round, how do you think that would have impacted our locker room (or teams immediate future)?

Always use red tape on my goalie stick

Not yet but planning to listen to it sometime soon!

3. Me and Dok had Beaviss as a guest on our podcast recently, would you ever want to be a guest on the podcast?

Maybe in the future, prefer to listen to podcasts then participate in them

5. If you heard there was another expansion team on the way, would you want to be the first GM (or even play there)?

At this point in my career I would rather be on a contender then new expansion teams. If it was earlier in my career then for sure, it would be a great experience!

We need a LW and possibly another C since MGS is switching to D

8. If we were swept in the first round, how do you think that would have impacted our locker room (or teams immediate future)?

Well it happened....we lost terribly in the first round and the impact was already felt when we were down 3-1. I think some roster changes probably need to happen to stay competitive.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:17 AM, Spyro said:

4. We seem to be heading towards some possible roster changes next season. If you could have 1 player from anywhere join our team, who would you pick?

1. I go classic white so that i can see the puck easier.

2. Yes i did i was mentioned for about 1 min and got pinged.

3. sure im not as active as i was at some points but once the whole move thing is over i would be a guest.

4. Jet Jaguar mostly so that I can get some easy articles about reunited teammates.

5. I always like the idea of GMing an expansion team but honestly i think i need life to balance out before i do that.

6. Not really I think its fine but I don't follow it that much.

7. I think we need more forwards for the future.

8. not much honestly. A hot goalie is a hot goalie. we have a good team but morale would have taken a worse hit. 

Raid time.

A color called blippo that is imperceivable to the human eye.

Can't say I have, I'll check it out.

Hell yeah, podcasting is always fun.

I think I'm back in the don't-wanna-GM train.

Yes so New York stops getting shafted all the time.

Looks like y'all are gonna need a defenseman soon.

I try to match whatever color the stick I'm using is.

I've heard part of one episode but haven't had time to finish it.

I don't currently have any aspirations of being a GM.  I don't think i would have a problem playing for any team.

I'm not sure, that's a question for the big brains at the top

I think the team needs an additional center

I don't think it would have made much difference, a loss is a loss.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Spyro said:

Flame tape.

Nope I will be listening to them this week at work.

I would think about it. Not sure if I have anything interesting to say though.

I'd love to play alongside Jerry Garcia.

I'm currently about to be an expansion GM in the SBA so I would definitely take the chance here.

I actually think they are good where they are, stops teams from completely tanking to some level.

1. How did you spend your offseason?

2. If you could own any all-time record in the VHL (if you don't already) which would you like to own?

3. In honour of the new age for the VHL (S70's) what would you like to see for our Alternate jerseys? (logo, colour sheme, patterns, etc etc)

4. If the league introduced dual logo's for every team (main logo and alternate/ shoulder patch logo) do you think it cool or too much?

5. What changes would you like to see in the Player Store?

6. A lot of players around the take "hometown discounts". Do you think there a solution to make contract earnings more meaningful?

7. If you had to pick an MVP for our team this season, who would you nominate?

8. What are your player's plans for next season? (S71)

Will be taking some time off to relax before getting back in the rink early to keep up training.

2. If you could own any all-time record in the VHL (if you don't already) which would you like to own?

Any of the goalie records, I don't think it will happen but would be fun to have.

4. If the league introduced dual logo's for every team (main logo and alternate/ shoulder patch logo) do you think it cool or too much?

I think it would be a little too much. I prefer just a main logo on the center of the jersey.

More options to fight regression or in general just more options

6. A lot of players around the take "hometown discounts". Do you think there a solution to make contract earnings more meaningful?

I think most take hometown discounts so that teams can stay under the cap. With more players and activity in the league I think the cap should be raised.

Try to improve on my stats and have a better showing in the playoffs

I always go home to Finland to visit friends and family.  Normally I spend more time there but I'm searching for a place to call my own in the Vancouver area now.

It would be cool to have the record for hits.

3. In honour of the new age for the VHL (S70's) what would you like to see for our Alternate jerseys? (logo, colour sheme, patterns, etc etc)

I don't even know what it was before but maybe a throwback to whatever the team used before moving to Vancouver (assuming it's different, I have no idea)

I'm sure there is but it's complicated.  All the stuff with money would need to change.  This includes the store items, store prices, salary cap.  It can also effect how many spots are available for people to play if people are not just taking the minimum.

Probably HHH.  He tied for the team lead in points while also having far and away the most hits on the team while also not seeming to take to many penalties despite all the hits.  I think you can make cases for 3 or 4 of the guys though.

Well I'm finaly going to be joining the VHL propper and play with the big boys.  So just getting used to the next level.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Spyro said:

1. Preparing to make another run with this great team.

2. Best duo points of all time.

3. I think having a pack of wolves or even a baby wolf to show the future and who will lead the VHL in later years that the pack is not a player but the team.

4. I think it would be cool but I think the shoulder patch should be something to represent the past and future wolves.

5. Not sure. I think if we could get some more efficient TPE options that would be cool. Right now for top players the best thing to save money is deprecation fighter. I think if there were options that were close to that effiecent it could be interesting.

6. Make spending money more meaningful. I am a top player who can take the min and get every depreciation fighter. If those were more expensive or if there were easier ways to get more tpe it would make money more meaningful because i couldn't just take min.

7. Eagles is an easy pick due to goalie and him doing so well. HHH is another easy one since he is a born leader on the ice. 

8. I play to be the top goal scorer.  

Headed back to my hometown in Ontario to catch up with friends and family.

Maybe some black jerseys, I've always liked those.

Nope, I think that would be a good idea.

Making player store items more expensive may be a start but I don't know how that would affect balance.

Probably Greg Eagles.

Keep on pumping up those offensive numbers while trying to become better defensively.

Welcome new draftees and VHL rookies to the Wolves! Answer 6 of the questions below for 2 capped tpe!

(Questions for Rookies Only)

1. How do you feel about being a part of Vancouver Wolves organization?

2. How do you think you will perform at the VHL level compared to the Minors?

3. What skill set do you possess and how will they help team?

(Questions for Everyone on the Roster)

4. How do you feel the Wolves drafted this season? (S71)

5. Having a lot of star power on our team, which teammates do think are going to be our Captain and A’s for S71?

6. Having some new faces on the team means the lines will most likely see some changes. Who would you like to have on your line if it was your call?

7. Is S71 the Wolves time to shine and finally bring home another Cup?

8. By the time your player’s career is over, what do hope to have accomplished or be remembered for?

9. If you travelled around during the offseason, what precautions have you took to ensure you will be healthy for the start of the next season? (S71)

10. If you had to pick 3 current roster players that are the “franchise faces“ of our team, who would they be?

Edited by Spyro

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Welcome new draftees and VHL rookies to the Wolves! Answer 6 of the questions below for 2 capped tpe!

(Questions for the Everone on the Roster)

5. Having a lot of star power on our team, which teammates do think are going to be our Captain and A’s for S71?

6. Having some new faces on the team means the lines will most likely see some changes. Who would you like to have on your line if it was your call?

8. By the time your player’s career is over, what do hope to have accomplished or be remembered for?

9. If you travelled around during the offseason, what precautions have you took to ensure you will be healthy for the start of the next season? (S71)

10. If you had to pick 3 current roster players that are the “franchise faces“ of our team, who would they be?

1. I’m glad I was picked by Vancouver I was hopin to stay in north america

2. I’ll have to stay in minors for a bit cause I wasn’t to hot this season but I’m sure I’ll get there

3. I’m heavily offensive player and I can score when needed.

4. Well considering u picked me I’d say pretty good.

5. Oh I haven’t got a clue. Haven’t been around that long

6. I’ll play with anyone I’m put with I ain’t picky.

7. Well id hope so yeah

8. I want to win that’s all I don’t care what it takes I want to win

9. Self quarantine

10. I don’t really know who’s on the roster so uhhh.... me?

. How do you feel the Wolves drafted this season? (S71)

I think we drafted well, this has always been a strong suit of the Wolves

Freeman, HHH, Downey all have good chances for a letter.

Well I am the goalie so I see everyone on my line ;) 

We still have a great team but our window is closing, this will probably our last chance with our core for the cup.

I want to win another cup, that is all that matters

HHH, Freeman, Downey

I'm excited to finaly start playing for the wolves after spending some extra time in the VHLM.

I expect that my numbers will go down quite a bit, but hopefully I can still contribute to the team

I am a skate/pass first kind of guy on a team full of shooters.  Hopefully I can enable others to score

I don't know the order but maybe Wolfe, Freeman, Jagr.  I think Scott and Downey would be good choices as well

In terms of raw skill I'm the weakest person on the team I imagine I'll will be paired with Louth.  In front of us Wang, Meyers, Wolf maybe?  I'm not sure, we will have to play around with lines to see what works and what doesn't.

I duno if I could pick 3 guys, the roster has been pretty consistent since i was drafted.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, Spyro said:

(Questions for Everyone on the Roster)

4. I think we did well. we got some steals who will help later down the road when more of our players start getting old.

5. Who knows anymore. I think the leadership team is great but I think as long as we stay together it doesn't matter who the Captain is.

6. I like my line mates. The same ones as before.

7. I hope so we only have so much more time before i get too old to play with all these young guys.

8. The best wolf of all time.

9. I didn't travel at all listening to the CDC on that one.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:05 PM, Spyro said:

We got some very solid young guys. I am very excited for how this class turns out.

I would love to play on a pairing with Brock Louth.

I really do think we have the talent to do it this year.

Championships. That's all I want.

Always make sure to get a checkup from the team doctor before and after any travel.

HHH, Freeman and Eagles.

1. What is your favourite part about playing in Vancouver? 

2. What does your pre-game routine consist of for this season?

3. Are you happy with who was announced to be our team Captains for S71 or would you change any of them? (C: Freeman / A: Downey / A: Scott)

4. If we still have to share hotel rooms with teammates this season (despite the virus that’s going around), who would you pick to room with? (you can pick up to 3 people on our team if you want)

5. Which skills did you focus on the most this offseason?

6. What would you rather see added to league: 

-adding more teams to all the conferences

-adding more lines (depth) to all the current teams

-adding another division between the VHL and the VHLM (minors-farm-pros)

The LR atmosphere and the ability to compete for the cup every season

I will juggle and dribble with a soccer ball to get me warmed up before we hit the ice

3. Are you happy with who was announced to be our team Captains for S71 or would you change any of them? (C: Freeman / A: Downey / A: Scott)

Great leadership group, very happy with the selections

4. If we still have to share hotel rooms with teammates this season (despite the virus that’s going around), who would you pick to room with? (you can pick up to 3 people on our team if you want)

Most likely Spyro as we are both goalies, we can talk upcoming strats for the games were playing

I focused alot on rebound control as I believe this will help me the most

I think I would like to see more line depth if we have enough players to support that across all teams

On 3/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, Spyro said:

1. The pack. It is strong and we have each others back.

2. Lots of practice and drills. I need to do what ever I can to stay at the top of my game.

3. I think they are great. But Im a little biased. 

4. Probably my line-mates need to stay on the same wave length with them.

5. Staying in shape.

6. Well I think all of those options need more people on a much larger scale but each are cool but if we needed it i think another division would be cool. more ways for people to play and get ice time. but VHLM should do that.

The team has been consistently successful and there is a lot of experience in the LR.

Making sure I get all my stretches in and doing various drills.

I think it's a great set of captains.

Louth for sure since I'm paired up with him.  Other than that whoever is fine with me.

I worked on quite a few things to an extent but I put a lot of focus on shooting, that's a thing that Vancouver does well so I don't want to slack too much behind my teammates. 

They can all be interesting in different ways but need the numbers to support it.

1. If you had to relate your players “play-style” to any NHL player/ goalie, who would it be? (ie. Spyro’s play-style is similar to Jonathan Quick.)

2. How are you feeling about your player’s stats so far?

3. If the playoffs started right now, do you think we would be cup contenders? 

4. Do you expect to see any more roster changes before the trade deadline?

5. What do you think our final Win/ Loss Record for the regular season (S71) will look like?

6. What is your go to drink to stay hydrated on the bench?

7. Who do you predict we will be having troubles with this season?

8. What is your favourite arena/ city to play in and why?

1. If you had to relate your players “play-style” to any NHL player/ goalie, who would it be? (ie. Spyro’s play-style is similar to Jonathan Quick.)

Mine would have to be Ed Belfour in his Chicago days

2. How are you feeling about your player’s stats so far?

So far stats are looking good but for me it's all about the team. We have to win another cup!

3. If the playoffs started right now, do you think we would be cup contenders? 

I think we are still cup contenders this season but the window is closing quickly

4. Do you expect to see any more roster changes before the trade deadline?

I'm sure there will be if there are good trade assets available. If it will help the team it will get done

6. What is your go to drink to stay hydrated on the bench?

Water....always water!

8. What is your favourite arena/ city to play in and why?

I like playing in Prague, such great history in that city and I always go out exploring after some of the game there