Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Episode 3)

Advantage

Last week, we looked at four very minor trades with very little consequence to any of them.  However, this week we will be looking at a massive trade before my final attempt at a Continental Cup and then some others that were the very beginning to my rebuild with New York after that season.   Lets get into it!

To Yp5RCrq.png&key=f9ceaf529cf4666c4f5d7043
(S27) C - Phil Rafter
(S27) LW - David Smalling

To FrRpAcc.png&key=04362fefe84b06ff4ec91b58

(S27) C - Alexander Chershenko
(S30) LW - Henrik Larsson
S34 TOR 2nd (RW Aelred Leskowsky)
S35 COL 3rd (LW `Reficul 1134)

New York Americans GM: Chris Miller
HC Davos Dynamo GMs: Victor Alfredsson and David Knight

I really wanted to shake things up in an effort to improve my Americans for a cup run and making this trade ended up being a major one for me.  The best player in this trade at the time probably was Alexander Chershenko, but to turn him plus some scraps into one of the best one-two combos in the Victory Hockey League was way too hard to pass up.  Rafter and Smalling were both Hall of Fame players with Rafter being a 800+ point player and Smalling being one of the best two-way forwards in the history of the league.

Chershenko was tremendous, but like the other two, he only had one year left.  Larsson was a depth piece that had some talent but was mainly just a cheap second liner while the other two picks were acquired in previous trades I featured did not really pay off for the team that made the selections. 

All in all, I’m a big fan of this trade.  While we didn’t win the Continental Cup, Rafter was at worst a sideways move from Chershenko and Smalling was an elite addition to bring in on his wing.  While it didn’t pay off in the end, the value in this trade swings New York’s way significantly. 

To Yp5RCrq.png&key=f9ceaf529cf4666c4f5d7043
S36 QUE 1st (D David Januzaj)
S35 CGY 2nd (RW Carter Deaton)
S36 DAV 2nd (D Herman Mudgett)
S37 DAV 2nd (C Kez Kincaid)

To FrRpAcc.png&key=04362fefe84b06ff4ec91b58

(S33) RW - Thomas Landry

New York Americans GM: Chris Miller
HC Davos Dynamo GM: Victor Alfredsson

This should have worked out better for me.  I regretted this trade mainly due to how quickly I was able to build the Americans back up, but at the time I felt Landry was too old for my rebuild.  Januzaj should have been better but ended up being David Knight’s first inactive on a sadly consistent stretch of inactives by the legendary member.  Deaton was a planned steal by me as I knew him in a different league but I sadly couldn’t keep him around while Kincaid and Mudgett didn’t end up being much at all.  Meanwhile, Davos acquired their future captain and one of the league’s best power forwards who ended up being a two-way threat that had he had a better start to his career, probably would be in the Victory Hockey League Hall of Fame.  Safe to say, Victor got his revenge for the Smalling-Rafter trade with this one.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Advantage said:

I really wanted to shake things up

Although I do think it was a good trade for NY (2 HOFers for 1 basically), I don't think you were going yo shake things up if I didn't force your hand a bit. ?