Slow Start Doesn’t Faze Saskatoon Rookie [1/2]

CurtisG93

SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN- it’s not easy being a rookie in a new league sometimes. Just ask Curtis Gary, center for the Saskatoon Wild of the VHLM. It’s about getting your feet wet and finding your place in the league. After a slow start with zero points to show through his first nine games, Curtis Gary is starting to feel comfortable in the VHLM, and is looking the part too. “It’s frustrating, you know, coming into a brand new league with a deep draft class and an already talented group of other teams”, said Gary. “There’s defiantly been the adjustment period. So far there’s been a lot of over thinking and wondering ‘what if’, it’s something you have to play through.” 

Now twenty-three games into the season Curtis has tallied 2 goals, 8 assist for 10 points on the season. Now Curtis is showing signs of his true potential as a young forward and he hopes it turns into a VHL contract next season. “I know there’s teams watching and wondering if I can fit into their system, I think I’m very versatile, I can change on the fly if need be. I’m willing to do whatever it takes.”

One stat that Curtis has prided himself on is his face off percentage. Standing at 56% in the face off dot Curtis is standing firm on his goal that he set for himself in preseason. “I’ve said before, back in preseason, how winning the face off is crucial to a teams chances of winning, you start with the puck you dictate the game, you lose the puck you chase the game. I feel really good at where my face off percentage is at right this moment.”

If there is a downside to Curtis’ play it’s his discipline. Twenty-one penalty minutes through twenty-three games is not a stat Curtis would like to hang his hat on. “It goes back to the frustration from the beginning of the season”, Curtis said, “I had to pull myself back at times and open up my eyes to what the slow start was doing to me. Since the points have started flowing in my penalty minutes have gone down, which I intend to keep trending.” If there was a bright side to this it would be that he has his first VHLM fight in the books. 

When asked about the overall start to the season for his team, the Saskatoon Wild (14-9-0 28 pts, 3rd in the VHLM), Curtis was quick to comment. “You know our depth scoring was nonexistent at the beginning of the season, if it wasn’t for guys like Rylan Peace, Chace Trepanier, Piotr Jerwa, and a few others our season could look very different right now. Those guys have done their job so far through the season now it’s the depth scorings turn to carry the weight too, and I think you’re starting to see that.” 

Curtis sits seventh on his team in scoring, and sits fourty-eighth in league scoring.

• 1 month later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Slow Start Doesn’t Faze Saskatoon Rookie [1/2]