Claimed:Slaughter Eyes Draft

sterling

Slaughter Eyes Draft

It's an eagerly awaited time for a long list of draft prospects who have been waiting patiently for the VHL Season 37 Entry Draft to come. Now that Season 37 is officially over, the fun begins for General Managers and draftees alike. Scouting has been ongoing for two seasons now in what will go down as one of the better drafts in recent memory. The Riga Reign stand with the first overall selection in the draft while the New York Americans hold the subsequent three selections. The draft boasts 30 skaters and 4 goalies who will all be looking for a VHL team to call home.

image.jpg

Much of the hype surrounding the draft revolves around the competition for first overall between recreates Tom Slaughter and Slaeter Fjorsstrom. Slaughter looks to become one of the league's top centres as a young player while Fjorsstrom looks to make an immediate impact as a top pairing defenseman in his rookie season. Both players are far above their counterparts in terms of skill as both are being hyped already as potential future Hall of Famers. Both will eclipse the 300 practice hour mark before the start of their rookie season with Slaughter passing that mark as early as before the draft.

“I'm excited to finally get this over with. I know where I want to go and we unfortunately have to wait in suspense until then, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This last season in the VHLM was really a good building season for me. Although I was wanting to add some stats on to boost my draft stock, it was more important to train toward the important skills that are sometimes overlooked. I'd like to start my career in the VHL as a two way centre. That doesn't mean hitting everything in sight and taking stupid penalties that hurt my team. There's already a few players in the league like that and that's not my goal at all,” Slaughter said.

Evander-Kane-Winnipeg-Jets.jpeg

This past season Slaughter kept himself out of the box lodging only forty penalty minutes in the 82 games he played throughout the regular season and playoffs. Meanwhile, he recorded 156 hits in that span. The centre has been working hard on improving his skill in the face-off circle and on improving his back checking, two things most VHLM players don't put a lot of stock into. Slaughter though, wants to be ready for the VHL as soon as he hits the ice.

“I've been talking to some of the best players all time, looking at what they did well and how they played the game. At the same time, I want to forge my own identity. I believe you can be a quality two way player without taking a lot of penalties, that's something I take a lot of pride in. I am a lot more use to my team taking draws on the ice as opposed to sitting getting cold in the box. I'm excited to translate my hard work into action after the draft. It will be a fun time wherever I end up,” he said.

Tom Slaughter has made no bones about where he'd like to play next season. The New York Americans appear primed to become a future powerhouse and the forward would love the opportunity to centre a potential line with newly acquired Odin Tordahl. “He's one of the best in the VHL no doubt, he'd be amazing to learn from. We'll have to see what happens at the draft, but I'd be disappointed to go somewhere other than New York at this point,” Slaughter said.

Content: 3/3 - Have fun in New York broski.

Grammar: 2/2 - Yeah. Almost got away with one.

the best players all time = the best players of all time

Appearance: 1/1 - Keep your eyes open when the camera is on you, nub.

Overall: 6/6 -  :emot-buttertroll: