Las Vegas Aces Press Conference

oilmandan

1 Are you surprised at how well Vegas has started this season?

Absolutely not, when I joined this team one thing I was told was that Vegas was at the top of their class and one of the best in the league, and now LV is just proving that to me and the rest of the M, absolute machines we are. 

2 Are you liking the moves that the jubo is making to try to put this team over the top?

He made the smartest move in obtaining me (let me toot my own horn, okay?) and many others that I backtracked to see, he's an amazing GM and I think he's done great things for this team, very impressed with his work and moving forward I look forward to what he will do by seasons end. 

3 How has your player performed so far? 

For me underpar, but I am new, behind in TPE and just trying to adjust to my new team and fit in, just like any new acquisition there is going to be that transitioning period and while I'd love to overachieve right out the gate I know I play with some very talented guys who help us win each night, so for me, I'm playing good :)

4 What kind of player are you hoping to be?

Expecting to be two-way, a little bit of both on the offensive and defensive side. I want to make sure my player is not a liability on either end of the ice, making sure I can keep up with everyone in the offensive zone but also not fall behind and leave our goalie out to dry, we'll see how that goes.  

5 What other sim leagues are you involved in?

Only one other one that just joined up, I am super new to the concept of player leagues so this was just me getting my feet wet. I plan to make the name Denver Wolfe a staple moving forward as best I can. 

26 minutes ago, jacobaa19 said:

גוט פֿאַר סטאַרטערס זע נייַ דאָ איך זאָגן די מאַנשאַפֿט איז שיין גוט באַטראַכטן זענען נאָענט צו די שפּיץ. רגע האָנעסטלי יווע קיינמאָל געזען אים שפּילן אָבער אויב פאַרוואַלטונג געדאַנק ער איז געווען גוט דעמאָלט איך יבערנעמען העס גוט דריט זינט ים נייַ איך'ד זאָגן דאָס איז די לאָואַסט עס וועט אלץ זיין. דער פירער איך האָב געזען יעקבֿ שמיטה וואַטשינג עס איז געווען אַ אַלע-שטערן צו שלעכט קאַריערע איז שנייַדן קורץ. און לעצטנס זייַן אַ גרויס ענדערונג פון אַ סטאַוו .. אָבער זייַן גוט איך טרעפן

(OK I did this all in English but i figured why not translate it into the language i said my guy speaks lol if you want to see my answers its Yiddish put into google translate... sorry lol)

That's quite creative. I thought it was the dragon language from skyrim when I first saw it haha

7 hours ago, oilmandan said:

Only a little! This offseason I felt really good about the way our team was performing and really clicking, so I felt that our team could perform well during the season. The amount of success we've had though is really cool and I'm absolutely loving the way we're flowing as a team

2 Are you liking the moves that the jubo is making to try to put this team over the top?

Absolutely! There's been a couple great free agent signings like the Denver Wolfe move that have really added a lot to the locker room and this team as a whole. Jubo has been really welcoming and has been picking up the right people to help put in as much effort as possible night in and night out

Pretty solid! I've only had 3 starts, 2 of which I'm happy about. You have those off games though. It's all good at the end of the day though, I hope to make more impact in the future.

My dream is to be a total shutdown goalie in this league who can come onto that ice every night I can and do what I can to give my team the best chance possible to win. I've been working hard at my TPE and I won't stop now!

None, actually! This is my first and only one, and I am loving it

8 hours ago, oilmandan said:

1.  Not at all, management went all in during the off-season and to date. Bringing in players that can help win now!

2. Loving the moves! It's made this season A LOT of fun so far. Jubo is killing it!

3. I'm very happy with the performance thus far. I'm in great positions to succeed!

4. I'm hoping to be a great team player who can also put up lots of points!

5. I'm also involved in goallineblitz and deeproute.

1. More big trades, Vegas is obviously looking to have a long run in the playoffs. Does this excite you and push you to improve your player to be part of a Founders Cup winner?

2. Are you surprised that Oslo decided to sell off so early?

3. Whats your favourite sports movie and why?

4. Are you on the discord and if so how helpful is it for staying informed and interested in the VHL?

5. Who is your favourite VHL player?

1 hour ago, oilmandan said:

1. More big trades, Vegas is obviously looking to have a long run in the playoffs. Does this excite you and push you to improve your player to be part of a Founders Cup winner?

I'm absolutely loving the success our team is having, we're getting big wins almost every other night and being able to push and push our way to that top spot has been so much fun. These playoffs are gonna be great. I'm looking forward to being able to play some high stakes hockey for that cup. I want to win it more than anything!

Kinda.... It's still only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through the season. Anyone could have a great turnaround here so selling is odd. They're making preparations though. If they know what they're doing they could be in for some big wins next season for sure

4. Are you on the discord and if so how helpful is it for staying informed and interested in the VHL?

It's great! The help there is awesome and you'll almost always get a faster answer there than anywhere else. Sometimes it's a little off topic but the VHL discussion is always hot on the Discord server

Not really.  I had planned on progressing my player this way anyways.  It is exciting to come in and be a part of a winning team off the bat.

Nope.  When you are up against a team like the Aces, there is only one thing to do, bow down before the master.

The Sandlot.  From what I can recall, it has great re-watch-ability.

I am on the discord.  It's helpful to stay informed, although there is quite a bit of chatter that goes on there.  Most of it seems like pointless memes..

Julian Borwinn

@Anthony Matthews

6. Being a 3rd line centre role player on a deep roster; is this how you envisioned your first season in the minors?

Edited by Jubo07

6. Being a 3rd line centre role player on a deep roster; is this how you invisioned your first season in the minors?

First it's great just to get to the VHLM.  It's the pinnacle of sports entertainment.  Your champions show up game after game, not just for the big events.

It is a bit hard to see new players come in and take positions ahead of you, but there's no 'I' in Las Vegas Aces, believe that. Even though the greatest GM on the planet keeps telling us 'I put the team together, you will play how I tell you to play.  You will win a cup when I tell you to win one, and you will win one this year for me, and me alone.' Me personally think he was having a little too much fun in the press box and may have abused his privileges as GM, but that's another story.

But I did not envision going for the cup in my first season.  It's been magical, Disney Magical.  I just hope no one snaps their fingers to pop this dream I'm living out.

It is very exciting, to see our active GM just go out there and make some big deals, its great to see and I am happy that we're getting stronger, it only builds even more confidence in our GM and our team and shows we're really trying to win the cup. 

Who? 

The water boy, need I say more?

People talk too much, but I am there lol, its just hard to keep up when I come back to 100+ messages every time I step away haha, but it is useful and a lot of good people to help out. 

I haven't really looked unfortunately to find out, I am very much focused on the M right now. 

On 1/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, oilmandan said:

5 What other sim leagues are you involved i

Edited by jacobaa19

On 1/14/2019 at 8:49 PM, oilmandan said:

1. I'm loving it!!! After coming so close with yukon last year, going for another deep playoff run with such a great team is extremely fun and exciting

2. I don't think anything surprises me at this point. With such a short window success is the most important thing. It's a necessary evil.

3. That's so hard to say because i love sports movies. Friday night lights holds a special spot in my heart as well as goon. 

4. I am on vhl the discord. Some good stuff on there. I have been meaning to get on there more because i don't think I'm using it to it's full ability.

5.  Hard to say, guys like Dahlberg, Canmore, Cast are impressive to see out there 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, oilmandan said:

1. Yes it’s even more exciting for me personally because I won the championship last year.

2. Yeah, it’s a little strange but oh well more for us.

3. Slap Shot, true old school hockey with hilarious comedy.

4. No not at this time.

5. Me, duh.

1. More big trades, Vegas is obviously looking to have a long run in the playoffs. Does this excite you and push you to improve your player to be part of a Founders Cup winner? It does. I have been able to improve my player quite well so far through 42 games and want to continue to help my player improve. I am on the top defensive pairing but know that I can still improve some more and help our team win the championship. 

2. Are you surprised that Oslo decided to sell off so early? Yea I think they could of waited a bit longer. I think they gave up to early and may have gotten more for their players as the season went on. 

3. Whats your favourite sports movie and why? Coach Carter or Mighty Ducks. Ducks are just good old hockey movies and are hilarious. Coach Carter is a really good sports movie but was very well done. Happy Gilmore and Tin Cup are pretty good too. 

4. Are you on the discord and if so how helpful is it for staying informed and interested in the VHL? No I am not. Just stay connected through the site and notifications. 

Julian Borwinn

On 1/16/2019 at 4:18 PM, wcats said:

1. Yes it is very exciting. As a new member who joined midway through the season, my decision on where to sign temporarily was predicated on the ability to join a competitor and not have to worry about contributing a lot while learning the ropes. It would also be nice to start my players career with a Cup win.

3. I would have to say Radio. While I'm a much bigger hockey fan, the story presented in Radio is really good. It helps that it is based in reality. It is also the only sports movie to get me to cry. Cuba Gooding Jr. is also fantastic in the movie and makes you really connect with the characters.

4. I am on the discord currently but not very active. I have most of the tabs muted as it feels like there is just too much going on. I currently prefer the team discords that the SHL uses as it feels more personal but still has a few people who can help the new members as needed. A league-wide discord isn't a bad idea, it just feels cluttered with things that will distract a new member from learning the league.

Hey Aces, I have some questions for you guys!

What Brand of skates do you use?

Why did you choose your player number?

What player do you use to represent your VHL/VHLM Player? Why did you choose them?

What mythical creature do you wish existed?

What’s the funniest joke you know by heart?

What’s the funniest VHL name you’ve heard of someone having?

3 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

What player do you use to represent your VHL/VHLM Player? Why did you choose them?

1. I use Bauer and CCM

2. I just chose a good looking number

3. I use Jack Hughes since he’s young like my player and he’s a very good prospect.

4. Unicorn

5. I’m a hockey player I don’t have time for jokes mite

6. Diljodh

16 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

I use Bauer S27 Goalie cut! Absolutely love the supremes and will recommend them for anyone (even if they are a little expensive)

Well when I was a kid my number used to be 7, it was a lucky number, but everyone used it so I decided to add 10 to it, as 17 tends to be a little more available. If 17 is taken usually I'll move up to 27! 17 also happened to be my graduation year, even if I didn't realize that until much later haha

When I made my Rookie Profile I visually represented Nixon with Darcy Kuemper! Mostly because of the comparable physical attributes. Darcy and Nixon are both tall, lanky motherfuckers, and both are solid goalies! As a coyotes fan, personally, Kuemper has been really great as a backup goalie and I love the way he's been playing this year, so he's one of my favorite players right now, and a solid representation of Nixon

Dick Rash makes me laugh every time. I also love Burnt Toast

Thanks so much for the questions @BladeMaiden!

On 1/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, BladeMaiden said:

1. Bauer

2. #17 just seems like a good fit

3. Patrice Bergeron, I wanted my player to be a premiere 2 way center

4. Pegasus

5. Joke? What’s a joke? Does it have something to do with hockey?

6. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen, I honestly thought at first it was just a bunch of random letters together then I realized what it actually was ?

New Balance.  I found that companies didn't make a skate that would fit me.  But New Balance cares about all foot sizes.

Wait, what?  We get to choose our player number?  I was told that was the number assigned to me by a random jersey generator.

I don't understand what this question is asking.  I represent myself because I am who I am, if I wasn't, then why would I say I am. In the paper, the news every day I am.

The Doctor

...So he says 'Let's call them the 21sts!' 
I damned well pissed myself.

Julian Borwinn.....wait, oh buggers, here comes the boss.....

Edited by Anthony Matthews

What Brand of skates do you use? CCM. 

Why did you choose your player number? Same number as one of my favourite players.  

What player do you use to represent your VHL/VHLM Player? Why did you choose them? I use Auston Matthews. Chose my player name based on him and Mitch Matthews, two of my favourite players. 

What mythical creature do you wish existed? Dragon. 

What’s the funniest joke you know by heart? Don’t remember many jokes. Here’s one anyways: Want to hear a joke about paper? Nevermind it's tearable.

What’s the funniest VHL name you’ve heard of someone having? I’m new this season but I like Bald Guy and Brick Wahl. Two good names. 

On 1/20/2019 at 4:58 PM, BladeMaiden said:

1. I still use graf. When you find something that works, you hold onto it.

2. My player number is 54. The year my mom was born in. It's a tribute to her since she passed away last year. I was 27 for the majority of my career before that happened.

3. I never made a graphic or anything. But i modeled my player style after the likes of Simmonds, Nash, Carter, Ovi.

Big body guys with a scoring touch and grit.

4. I wish cthulhu existed. That dude can mess some stuff up.

5. Honestly I've never been one to memorize jokes.

6. Definitely Dick Rash... Gets me every single time i see it!

Bauer anything, I am addicted to the brand, this is what I choose to use, and I will always stick by it. 

It represents something special to me, it's the age in which I learned my passion for hockey, and my love for the sport, since the age is so significant to me, I wear it every chance I get. 

Usually I use Claude Giroux because he's a redhead and being I am Irish in this representation, I felt he fit the bill despite being a real life French-Canadian player, just had to use him. 

A manbearpig, because why the fuck not? Funny meme. 

None, my soul is very dark, I do not know jokes off by heart, I usually just google them to make people laugh ;)

Honestly not really seen too many, haven't really cared about other teams if I'm being 100, I care about my Aces and that's about it, they are all that matters to me.