A Story Eight Years in the Making, Part I

McWolf

Today is a very special day for the protagonist of this story. 13-year old Jake Stingray is sitting at his seat in the Xcel Energy Center, next to his father. He is proudly wearing his red and black Alexandria Cardinals jersey. In front of him unfolds the most magnificient show he ever had the chance to laid his eyes on. Today, Team USA Jr. is meeting with Team Canada Jr. as part of the Season 63 World Junior Championship.

Jake was as happy as ever when his father told him that this year's World Junior Championship was gonna be help in St. Paul (perks of being a commissioner). After all, it's only two-hour ride from Alexandria to St. Paul, and the two of them would make it once or twice a year for different reasons. This year's reason was a special one, however. With Jake's birthday being on December 1st, his father thought it would make a great gift to get him tickets for that rivalry-fueled matchup between Canada and USA. This game easily is the highest caliber hockey he'll get to see before long. I mean, he saw the Wild once in that same arena, but can you really argue that somehow washed up veterans are better than young studs playing their heart out on the international stage? I don't think so.

Throughout the evening, the boys joined in "U-S-A!" chants and were delighted to see their team's top players, namely Chance Matthews, Ryan Sullivan Jr. and Sidney Crosby (uh?), perform well. The young hockey player had stars in his eyes when Eric Parker finally scored the first American goal during the second period. The game ended as a tough 5-1 loss for the Americans, but Jake doesn't care at all about that. Today, all that matters is that Jake saw some of the better hockey players of the current generation. Some of the guys that will shape up the future of the VHL. Some of these guys may end up breaking records that stood for decades. Some of these guys may even pave the way for the next generation of talent, kids like Jake, to one day suit in the VHL and leave their mark on the history of the league.

But our protagonist doesn't know that yet, as he's only 13 years old and has absolutely no idea how good he actually is at the game.

Edited by McWolf

52 minutes ago, Quik said:

:draper:

Also, I'll be impressed if you keep this up for your 8-season career lol

I plan on doing one of these every season, not gonna write one VHL.com article every week about some random 13-year old playing high school level, that would suck balls. Which is the kind of thing @pennypenny does, not me.

2 hours ago, McWolf said:

I plan on doing one of these every season, not gonna write one VHL.com article every week about some random 13-year old playing high school level, that would suck balls. Which is the kind of thing @pennypenny does, not me.

ill fucking suck ur ball if you keep talkin shit.