Matthew Materazo Rookie Preview

Matt_O

Birthplace: New York, USA

Position: LW

Height: 5'11

Weight: 170 lbs

Signed with the Saskatoon Wild (one year, 1.5 million)

Strengths:

Speed: While he may be no Connor McDavid now, you can count on it soon. Materazo is a fast skater, and due to his smaller frame, often has to skate around his opponents and has to get to the outside rather than just bust through the middle. He has strong breakaway speed and can hit top speed very quickly through his extreme acceleration. He also uses his quick feet to get away from defenders along the boards, and also can spin away from a man that is coming at him.

Puck Handling: Also as a result of his smaller frame, Materazo relies on finesse moves and speed to get around defenders. He is a strong stick handler and is great at keeping the puck away from defenders when they are in the corners, around the boards. On the powerplay, Materazo can use his moves to get through defenders if nothing presents itself as a passing target.

Work Ethic: He may not be amazing now, but he will certainly be working towards it. You may look at his stats now and think nothing is really impressive, but come back in a month and things will undoubtedly change. Materazo tries to hit the max of 12 capped TPE every week, as well as some uncapped TPE with that as well. Not only that, but during practice he always give his best, as well as in games. He always backchecks and is known as a player that always works his hardest.

Weaknesses:

Strength: Materazo isn't a very strong dude. He isn't a big hitter, and is more strictly a skill forward, and about as far away from an enforcer as you can get. He does plan on hitting up the gym after he perfects his stick handling, shooting and skating, but as we are standing here right now, he certainly is no body builder.

Leading: He is definitely more on the quiet side, although he isn't a complete mute. He isn't afraid to talk to people in no sense of the word, but he isn't about to stand up in front of the locker room and give a pre-game motivational speech. He will show leadership if he is put into a position where leadership is needed to be shown, but won't insert himself into places where he doesn't think he is needed. While he may be close to a few players, he may also be barely acquaintances with others.

As a new player to the VHLM, I find this whole thing very interesting. Considering I am a very raw prospect, I am very active and will consistently try to gain TPE every week to get better. I grind very hard, and will stop at nothing to try to get more TPE. I signed a one year contract with Saskatoon just today, but I am open to moving teams in free agency, although I am loyal, so I probably won't. But who knows.

I appreciate your interest in me, and I hope to become a VHLM legend baby.