Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen Press Conference

2 hours ago, Beaviss said:

TBH in the VHLM Assistant Gm's are a must need converge for all times of the day in the bidding wars for new creates. I use my AGM's as scouts and to teach them the ropes.

My thought as well. Competition to get new recruits is fierce in the M, we need AGM to have more time where at least one of us is on

• 2 weeks later...

1. How did you react when you registered your first VHL point?

2. What about your first VHL goal? 

3. HC Davos Dynamo has dealt three defenders away this season, are you nervous you’ll be added to the casualty list, even if none of the transactions were really your GMs doing? 

4. Cayden Saint has joined Davos and immediately started to produce. Likewise so have you, is his acquisition making everyone better or do you think different strategies are making the bigger impact? 

5. No one remembers you last name, so what are your most common nicknames? 

6. Lasagna or Chilli? 

1 hour ago, Peace said:

1. How did you react when you registered your first VHL point?

I was relieved more than anything. It took a couple of games longer than I was hoping, but eventually I was able to register my first point...and it was an assist too, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

2. What about your first VHL goal? 

After getting my first point out of the way, I was able to relax a little bit more and enjoy my first goal. It was a surprise for me, since I think it took much longer for me to get my first goal in the the minors. To be honest, I wasn't even trying to score on the shot. I was hoping to have it deflected, but I guess the goalie was screened and it went right by him.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

3. HC Davos Dynamo has dealt three defenders away this season, are you nervous you’ll be added to the casualty list, even if none of the transactions were really your GMs doing? 

Nah, not at all. Management knows that I"m here for the long haul, so I'm not nervous about being traded. Even Wayne Gretzky was traded though, so I know there's always a chance, but I don't expect it to happen and it's not going to affect my game.

2 hours ago, Peace said:

4. Cayden Saint has joined Davos and immediately started to produce. Likewise so have you, is his acquisition making everyone better or do you think different strategies are making the bigger impact? 

I think it's a little bit of both. It make a difference that Saint wants to be here, and that's definitely something we can feel in the locker room, so it's only natural that we'll feel it on the ice as well. We've changed some things up from an X's and O's stand point as well, and I think it's showing with our results on the ice.

2 hours ago, Peace said:

5. No one remembers you last name, so what are your most common nicknames? 

"Smitty" is the most common one since it's just my first name, but I also had some like Werby, Werb, W, etc...Werbenjagermanjensen isn't that hard to remember though!

2 hours ago, Peace said:

6. Lasagna or Chilli? 

Mmmmm.....both. Lasagna is good as a one time meal, but it's not as good re-heated. The best thing about Chili is that you can eat it for one meal and then refrigerate the leftovers and eat it many more times. Right @eaglesfan036?

1) How is your first season in Davos going?

2) If the winner of the brands tournament won 20 tpe would you pay attention to it?

3) Have you ever skipped any life commitments for your duties as a GM, Blue team, etc?

4) What team do you think has the coolest looking logo?

5) If you were league dictator would you ever bring @boubabi back?

6) Who was/is your favorite blue team member? 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) How is your first season in Davos going?

It's going OK. I think we're doing a little worse from a team perspective than I thought we would (we're 2nd to last in the league last I saw), but it's not like I thought we'd be great or anything. Individually, I think I'm a contender for rookie of the year, so I've got that going for me at least.

2) If the winner of the brands tournament won 20 tpe would you pay attention to it?

Yeah, maybe a little more, but only because it would make it easier for me to win Continental Cups. Again, when Hall of Fame time comes around, no one cares how many brand tournaments or world junior golds you won, and people barely care how many medals you win for the World Cup.

3) Have you ever skipped any life commitments for your duties as a GM, Blue team, etc?

I mean, I might have not gone out on a weekend or something, but I don't think I ever skipped plans I already had. I know I was negotiation a trade with @boubabi when we were out for my girlfriend's 21st birthday.

4) What team do you think has the coolest looking logo?

For VHL, I like Davos's new logo, followed by Moscow's logo, then Seattle's. For VHLM, I like the Lynx, followed by the Rush.

5) If you were league dictator would you ever bring Boubabi back?

No. I'm generally not a fan of banning members and think some people need to grow a thicker skin, but Boubs went way across the line multiple times and was given multiple chances. His permaban was well deserved.

6) Who was/is your favorite blue team member? 

Does @Will still count? He's technically some other color now, but we went in at the same time and usually agree on everything. And I get to make the joke about visiting him in Halifax every time I drive past Halifax, PA.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Were you satisfied with how Davos season went?

2) What do you think Davos needs to do to take the next step next season?

3) Did Smitty keep his penalty minutes down this year?

4) Why wouldn't you make Smitty's number 1, since he was number 1?

5) Would you rather Davos get the 1st overall pick in the lottery or the Flyers?

6) Are you concerned the VHL is growing too fast?

1. What's the secret to building a successful defenseman in this league?

2. Jerry Garcia has been mentioned as a definite possibility for a Davos first round selection in this upcoming season in a few mock drafts, yours included. a) how do you feel about this, and b) what's your opinion on Charlie Paddywagon, the other top defenseman who's just as good? 

3. Other than defense, what position would you like to see Davos go for in the draft?

4. You've said earlier in your press conference that your favorite VHLM team is Ottawa, by far. How would you feel about being drafted by the Reapers to make Philly proud?

On 4/9/2019 at 11:26 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) Were you satisfied with how Davos season went?

Overall, yes. We started out slow, but as the season went on, we started to beat some pretty good teams and almost made the playoffs. It sucks not getting in at the very last game, but in the long run, it's probably actually better for the team.

2) What do you think Davos needs to do to take the next step next season?

Young players need to continue to develop and maybe add some top end talent if we want to legitimately contend next season. Players will start to hit their prime contracts soon, so the first window of competing (great young players on rookie deals complimented by prime/veteran talent) will soon be ending. If we don't add anyone through trade we should make the playoffs, but anything above that might be a surprise.

3) Did Smitty keep his penalty minutes down this year?

I was 8th in PIMs with 164, but not anywhere close to the top PIM leaders. Smitty plays a physical game (8th in league in hits and I think 2nd for defensemen) so he's going to take some PIMs that go with it, but he's going to create a lot of turnovers as well.

4) Why wouldn't you make Smitty's number 1, since he was number 1?

I wanted to make Smitty's number 1, but I don't think that's a thing anymore. Sadly, teams don't even retire numbers anymore, so what's the point? Still waiting for Robin Gow to have his number retired, considering he's 3rd in career assists for Riga, top 10 in points, and won a cup.

5) Would you rather Davos get the 1st overall pick in the lottery or the Flyers?

Flyers hands down. The difference between Jack Hughes and the Finnish guy whose name I can't spell at 2nd and the rest of the draft is much bigger than the difference in talent between the top 4 draft picks in this draft. Plus the Flyers aren't part of an imaginary league.

6) Are you concerned the VHL is growing too fast?

Yes. It's a much better problem to have than what we were going through 10ish seasons ago where we didn't have enough recruitment/retainment, but I wouldn't mind seeing recruitment slow down a little bit to see how the league stabilizes.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, GustavMattias said:

1. What's the secret to building a successful defenseman in this league?

When I figure it out, I'll let you know :P. My first player was an above average two-way defenseman, and my only other defenseman was Shayne Gow, who was above average again but won 2 or 3 Continental Cups instead of just 1. In general, I used to think people under utilized their defensive stats, but that seems to have changed in the past couple generations of players.

2. Jerry Garcia has been mentioned as a definite possibility for a Davos first round selection in this upcoming season in a few mock drafts, yours included. a) how do you feel about this, and b) what's your opinion on Charlie Paddywagon, the other top defenseman who's just as good? 

To be honest, I really don't know too much about any player that's not a long time returning member. All I know is that you and Paddywagon have steadily been earning TPE, although I think @solas's player has eclipsed you both. Either way, I'd be glad to see any of you three join Davos, as we're going to have a good defensive core for a long time.

3. Other than defense, what position would you like to see Davos go for in the draft?

I really think we're in a position to select BPA for each of our picks, as long as 1 of the first rounders is a defenseman. Like I said in my mock draft, my guess is we go with a winger, then a center, and then a defenseman, especially since we have the 2nd pick now.

• 2 weeks later...

1) How many VHL Game threads do you actually check - ex all your teams games, every single game, etc

2) How often do you check your player's points during the season?

3) Have you ever had an actual rivalry with someone on here?

4) Is there any reason you would ever make a secret alt/multi?

5) What VHL player is comparable to Jar Jar "The GOAT" Binks?

6) Should home field advantage matter in the sim? Like home team gets a 1% stat boost or something? Makes fighting for seeding matter more in regular season

7) What if the VHL keeps on adding tons of new members? Do we keep expanding, or at some point have to accept 3 lines?

8) Would you ever meet any VHLers in real life?

9) Are we ever going to make a podcast again?

10) I feel like asking questions requires more effort than answering them, do you agree?

On 5/4/2019 at 12:11 AM, Positivefan036 said:

1) How many VHL Game threads do you actually check - ex all your teams games, every single game, etc

I only check my own during the regular season. Playoffs it depends. Can't say I check every game thread then, but a good number of them.

2) How often do you check your player's points during the season?

After every sim. I check almost all of my stats after every sim.

3) Have you ever had an actual rivalry with someone on here?

Not really. I mean, there was that time that sball thought Kendrick signed a player to Cologne in order to screw over his VHLM team and help the Lynx, who I was GMing at the time...but besides that, I stay out of that stuff for the most part.

4) Is there any reason you would ever make a secret alt/multi?

I thought about doing it once just to see how the new member experience was during the time we were having trouble with recruitment/retainment, but now, no. I'm also not super active around the boards anymore and the new members don't see me as much as an "authority figure" as some of the older members might, since I've only done BoG for a long time now, and that's not visible to most people.

5) What VHL player is comparable to Jar Jar "The GOAT" Binks?

Bernie Gow - A joke on and off the ice.

6) Should home field advantage matter in the sim? Like home team gets a 1% stat boost or something? Makes fighting for seeding matter more in regular season

I'm not sure what the STHS manual says for this, but I have a feeling that it does mean something. This might be something for someone to do a regression article on!

1) How did you come up with your name?

2) How long have you been a flyers fan and what made you cheer for them?

3) What’s been your favourite moment in the VHL since you’ve joined?

4) Are you enjoying your time with Davos so far and do you plan on re-signing with them?

5) Who would you say is your biggest rival in the league?

6) Who are your favourite people around the league?

On 5/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, SirRupertBarnes said:

1) How did you come up with your name?

Spongebob! The fact that you don't know this make that makes me feel old...I think.

Spoiler

2) How long have you been a flyers fan and what made you cheer for them?

I'm from the Philadelphia area, so I've always been a Flyers fan, but hockey itself became my number one sport probably around 6th or 7th grade. 

3) What’s been your favourite moment in the VHL since you’ve joined?

So this is going to a very cliche answer, but it's just the old memories. The league was much younger (in terms of average member age) and less mature, so there were a good number of stupid arguments/trolling going on. @Jericho figuring out @Kesler's password and messaging people randomly, etc...

Edited by flyersfan1453

4) Are you enjoying your time with Davos so far and do you plan on re-signing with them?

It's been OK. Last year, the team performed as expected overall, but this year, we're performing below expectations. The season is still early though. Yes, I plan on re-signing with Davos at this point. I've never really been one to go to free agency.

5) Who would you say is your biggest rival in the league?

I've made it a point to avoid actual person rivalries for legitimate "bad blood" reasons. The easy answer is probably @Positivefan036 since he's my brother, but there was the odd member or two who disliked me for decisions I made when I was commissioner.

6) Who are your favourite people around the league?

There's a couple cool people. Like I said, @Positivefan036 is cool, @Will is a pretty swell guy, @Squinty was my besty but he hasn't been around the block in a while. @Victor is ight. 

• Senior Admin
On 5/16/2019 at 10:14 PM, flyersfan1453 said:

It's been OK. Last year, the team performed as expected overall, but this year, we're performing below expectations. The season is still early though. Yes, I plan on re-signing with Davos at this point. I've never really been one to go to free agency.

I've made it a point to avoid actual person rivalries for legitimate "bad blood" reasons. The easy answer is probably @Positivefan036 since he's my brother, but there was the odd member or two who disliked me for decisions I made when I was commissioner.

There's a couple cool people. Like I said, @Positivefan036 is cool, @Will is a pretty swell guy, @Squinty was my besty but he hasn't been around the block in a while. @Victor is ight. 

You pretty swell too Gow

7) What if the VHL keeps on adding tons of new members? Do we keep expanding, or at some point have to accept 3 lines?

My preference would be expansion over larger team rosters. I don't want to spend 2/8ths or 3/8ths of my career with limited ice time, and no, I don't want to expand player careers either. 3 lines may be a temporary fix, but expansion is the permanent fix IMO.

? Would you ever meet any VHLers in real life?

Yeah, I would. I wouldn't necessarily invite them to my house or anything, but I'd meet them at a bar...or Applebees half priced apps if they're underaged.

9) Are we ever going to make a podcast again?

Looking back on them, our podcasts were so bad. Does anyone really podcast anymore at all? I mean, we COULD do it, but it seems like a lot more work than just doing a media spot. Plus we did them because you wouldn't do a point task if we didn't, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Would you ever want to go into FA at the same time as me and both pick the same team?

2) Looks like the playoffs are going to be Davos vs Vancouver. Would you like to make a friendly wager on it?

3) Compare the Swaggy Sniper's left winger to a player on here

4) Do you remember when you were GM if you lived by any certain sets of strategies or line combos, or did you just copy what previous successful teams did?

5) Have you warmed up to the real life Gritty some? I remember before you told me you thought it was dumb

6) I think Vancouver is in the same place as Davos, with a worrisome chance to be stuck in mediocrity as a lower tier playoff team, but will never win the cup. Do you agree with this assessment?

7) @ShawnGlade's player was traded to Vancouver, and now he is playing himself in the 1st round of the playoffs. Do you agree this is stupid?

8) What would make you consider leaving from the VHL for good, if anything?

9) Will you ever make a goalie again?

10) Did you see @Munk logged in here again recently? If you had to guess, how old do you think he is?