Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen Press Conference

5 hours ago, Positivefan036 said:

7) @ShawnGlade's player was traded to Vancouver, and now he is playing himself in the 1st round of the playoffs. Do you agree this is stupid?

we're not playing vancouver in round 1 but nice try

1.) That would be interesting, but not sure it would happen with our current players, at least not til the end of my career. I couldn't tell you the last time we played on the same team...Calgary, with Bernie and Gownecny?

2.) I don't think that's going to be the match up, but I'd wager that Davos gets farther in the playoffs than Vancouver. 

3.) Swaggy Snipers left winger to here...I'm gonna go with Gritty - he can only score against the bad teams and can't do anything against teams that actually know how to play defense

4.) I believe offense (and perhaps a good goalie) wins championships in the VHL. Forward lines on 0-1-4 or 1-1-3, defense on 1-2-2 or 0-2-3. Safe is death.

5.) Yeah, I've warmed up to real life Gritty. Outside of the Flyers games, he's pretty cool, He's still very annoying at actual Flyers games when he's going around the stadium while play is in session.

6.) I think it's fair to say that both teams will need to make a splash with their rosters (and perhaps get lucky elsewhere) to become a favorite. I think they're both contenders, since we've all seen that all you have to do in the VHL is get in the playoffs with a relatively strong squad.

@Positivefan036

Edited by flyersfan1453

1. How do you think Davos will do in the playoffs this year?

2. Who do you think are the favorites going into the playoffs?

3. How do you feel about your personal numbers in the regular season?

4. Are you happy with the ice time you’ve gotten this year?

5. What would it mean to you to win a cup this year?

6. How is the Davos locker room?

7. Who has been the biggest star player for Davos?

8. How much of a role do you think goaltending has played in the team’s success?

9. What are your plans for the offseason?

10. What’s the most important thing for you in deciding what team you play for?

Edited by StamkosFan

7.) Not necessarily what happened, but I don't think this is as stupid as I used to. I hated that I had to retire Robin early since he was a GM player. On the other hand though, I don't like how often non-GM players of GMs end up on the team that they're GMing.

8.) Less stuff that happens on the VHL and more real life stuff. If my job ever got super busy or something like that, then I would leave. At the very least though, it would be easy for me to take a step down from the BoG and any sort of responsibility and just be a pure welfare player. Not much work at all and can still create a pretty good player.

9.) So, building off of number 8, I think that is the most likely scenario that I would create a goalie. Goalie is so much STHS luck that you don't need as much TPE to create a good one (good, not great, but still good), so that would be a possibility.

10.) I did not see that, but I feel like you told me before that he's older than I thought he was? I'm going to say he's 22.

@Positivefan036

1.) I think we'll sweep the Reign, but lose in a hard fought series to Helsinki...let's say Helsinki in 7. They just have too much star power compared to us.

2.) I think whoever wins the European Conference will be the favorite, as the top 3 teams in the league are all in that conference. North American Conference is just mediocre this year.

@StamkosFan

On 6/16/2019 at 11:46 PM, StamkosFan said:

3. How do you feel about your personal numbers in the regular season?

They could have been better. I became much more of a goalscorer, which was one of my goals, but overall, my points were basically the same. We played our defensemen very defensively this season - look no further than Shawn Glade's production in Riga, then here in Davos, and then in Vancouver.

4. Are you happy with the ice time you’ve gotten this year?

I had a little bit of an issue up until maybe about a third of the way through the season, but after that, I had no complaints.

5. What would it mean to you to win a cup this year?

Well, obviously, that didn't happen. It would have been a surprise and would have been very nice, especially knowing the trades that were made now.

6. How is the Davos locker room?

I'm not the biggest locker room presence, but from what I understand, there was some turmoil in the LR last season. Otherwise, no comment.

7. Who has been the biggest star player for Davos?

Rylan Peace was...now, I'd have to say Crimson (I think he's still on the team?)

8. How much of a role do you think goaltending has played in the team’s success?

He's done his part. Having a superstar goaltender is nice, but overall, you just need your goalie to not lose you games. Finn has done more than that and has been an integral part to our success.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Let's pretend Davos suddenly disbanded and you could pick you VHL team - who and why?

2) Do you think Moscow or Malmo will be the better expansion team over the next 5 seasons

3) Do you think expansion teams have it too hard, easy, or just right in the draft?

4) Why have you not asked me press conference Qs in a long time

5) Do you use a word counter when writing media spots or radios to check if you are done?

6) Will @BOOMCHENKO™ ever come back?

7) Do you know if the VHL has a backup plan if the portal website died?

8) Do you think we will have another expansion team soon?

9) Why is writing questions so much harder than answering them?

10) If you were on a deserted island and could only pick 1 VHL member for survival - who and why?

On 7/9/2019 at 1:14 AM, Positivefan036 said:

1) Let's pretend Davos suddenly disbanded and you could pick you VHL team - who and why?

For next season only? Helsinki, since I'd most likely win the cup then.

2) Do you think Moscow or Malmo will be the better expansion team over the next 5 seasons

Tough question because I think they're both going to be good. I'm going to go with Moscow since they had a one season head start.

3) Do you think expansion teams have it too hard, easy, or just right in the draft?

I think they have it just right. They're given preferential treatment but aren't just gifted 1st or 2nd overall.

4) Why have you not asked me press conference Qs in a long time

I feel like I did not too long ago when you asked me to so you can get your TPE. Remind me next week and I'll ask you 10.

5) Do you use a word counter when writing media spots or radios to check if you are done?

I write them on VHL and then just copy and paste them in the word counter to check my progress. I don't really do it for the fan590s, but for the media spots I do.

6) Will @BOOMCHENKO™ ever come back?

I think he may make a cameo appearance at some point, but truly back? No, I don't think so. 

• 3 months later...

1) Why haven't you answered your own press conference questions for a while?

2) How likely are you to re-sign with Davos?

3) What is the dumbest take you have ever heard on sportstalk radio?

4) Any foods you don't like that I don't know you don't like?

5) If everyone's team logo were to suddenly become a potato, would you notice and would you care at all?

6)  If you had to guess, what do you think the average and median age of a VHLer is? 

On 7/9/2019 at 1:14 AM, eaglesfan036 said:

7) Do you know if the VHL has a backup plan if the portal website died?

I do not know, but I'm also not involved with that side of the site at all. That's a good idea to bring it up though.

? Do you think we will have another expansion team soon?

I don't think we'll be seeing an expansion team soon, in the VHL at least.

10) If you were on a deserted island and could only pick 1 VHL member for survival - who and why?

I'd pick @BOOMCHENKO™ since he has experience living in Australia and that's basically the same thing as a deserted island.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) Why haven't you answered your own press conference questions for a while?

Because I thought I answered them all ?

2) How likely are you to re-sign with Davos?

I am not closing the door on that possibility.

3) What is the dumbest take you have ever heard on sportstalk radio?

There have been some doozies...but I think I'm going to go with one from a couple years ago.  They were FINALLY talking about hockey with a caller, and the caller suggested moving Couturier to defense since he "can't score and can only play defense"

1. Assume you don't sign with Davos and every other team was interested/offered on FA. What would be your go to spot?

2. With all the position switching going is, is Smitty ever open to that or is he a D lifer?

3. What is one of the most underrated league changes that you think made a big difference over the years but people don't really pay attention to it?

4. Your out in the woods, you have nothing but a hatchet and a bag of assorted nuts. You have "3 actions", what actions do you take to ensure survival?

5. Do you think the parity in the league pushing us closer and closer to an "NHL like" in terms of how competitive teams are is a good thing?

6. What is one VHL role you've never held that you'd love to try your hand at? 

4) Any foods you don't like that I don't know you don't like?

Mmmm....probably not. I'm sure we could come up with something that I think is too sweet.

5) If everyone's team logo were to suddenly become a potato, would you notice and would you care at all?

Yeah, I'd notice and would slightly care. It adds to the sense of professionalism in the league.

6)  If you had to guess, what do you think the average and median age of a VHLer is? 

I'm gonna say the mean age is 27 but the median is 22. Its been a while since I had stats but I'm pretty sure that means we have a couple of old people bringing the mean age up.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, Devise said:

1. Assume you don't sign with Davos and every other team was interested/offered on FA. What would be your go to spot?

? TAMPERING ? ...but I'm currently under contract with Davos for a couple of more days. I do not know where I will be playing next season.

2. With all the position switching going is, is Smitty ever open to that or is he a D lifer?

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen is 100% going to stay as a defensemen. I'm not a huge fan of all the position switching going on. It's weird from a realism standpoint, it can make HoF voting more challenging, and promotes getting good members/players versus good players at that position.

3. What is one of the most underrated league changes that you think made a big difference over the years but people don't really pay attention to it?

Well, my answer even before yesterday is the VHL/SBA/EFL affiliate program. Having the ability to do one PT across the three related leagues is huge and is a net positive for all leagues. 

• 2 weeks later...

1) What went into the decision to sign with Moscow?

2) Do you remmeber when the last time your were on a team with Victor was?

3) Who was the runner up in the Smitty sweepstakes?

4) On a scale of 1-10, how bad do you feel for leaving Davos with a slew of other free agents?

5) When was the last time we played on the same team, excluding last season?

6) Do you incorporate my advanced stats and other peoples' articles into your player attribute updating?

7) If you were magically offered the role of commishioner again, would you take it?

8. When do you think was your most active period on this website?

9) Would you ever be open to meeting and VHLers in real life?

10) Will your next player be signing with Philadelphia in the VHLM?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:11 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) What went into the decision to sign with Moscow?

I thought they were the best option available to win a cup within the next two seasons. 

2) Do you remmeber when the last time your were on a team with Victor was?

Pfff.....it might be all the way back to when we were on Calgary together in the S20s? Wasn't on Davos, wasn't on Cologne, wasn't on Riga, wasn't on Helsinki, so it must have been Calgary.

3) Who was the runner up in the Smitty sweepstakes?

Going to answer a slightly different question, but my first choice was actually Seattle. It's unfortunate it didn't work out, but I'm still very happy in Moscow.

4) On a scale of 1-10, how bad do you feel for leaving Davos with a slew of other free agents?

6 - I'm not one to usually leave via free agency, but on the other hand, I also gave Shawn a 2 seasons heads up regarding what my plans were, so there was nothing too surprising there.

5) When was the last time we played on the same team, excluding last season?

Calgary when I was Bernie? I think that was it.

6) Do you incorporate my advanced stats and other peoples' articles into your player attribute updating?

Your articles said skating wasn't important...so no ? 

1) How strong is the Gow bond?

2) What has been the single best change in the VHL since you’ve been here?

3) what’s with Smittys last name? Please explain

4) what does Gritty eat for dinner? 

5) name 3 members you would like to see back here?

6) all-time favourite commissioner? 

7) Randoms has GONE OfF this season. Is Smitty the reason?

8 ) Why don’t you ask the KnightTime questions?

9) who’s winning the Cup?

10) favourite thing about Christmas!!?

@flyersfan1453

What are your thoughts on your season?

What are your thoughts on how your team is doing?

Who do you think wins MVP?

Who has been your teams best player?

If you were to drop the gloves with any other VHLer, who would it be and why? don't be afraid to tag a bitch. 

What do you think it would have been like if you went to Seattle?

How do you think Moscow finishes?

Who makes it to the finals out of North America?

7) If you were magically offered the role of commishioner again, would you take it?

I would do if on an interim basis if we needed someone to help, but I don't have the availability during the day (or the drive to check the site as much as would be needed every night) to do it full time.

8. When do you think was your most active period on this website?

Coincidentally, it was when I was commissioner and during Robin's career. Was my senior year of college and when I was job searching, so I had a lot of free time.

9) Would you ever be open to meeting and VHLers in real life?

Depends who and where, but I would be...still jelly you got to meet @Victor and I didn't!

10) Will your next player be signing with Philadelphia in the VHLM?

I'm still TBD on Philadelphia or Ottawa...and obviously it could change depending on team needs as well.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Phil said:

1) How strong is the Gow bond?

IRL or VHL? IRL, we're very close and still live close by, so we see each other at least once a week usually.

2) What has been the single best change in the VHL since you’ve been here?

Auto 6 and the removal of grading. I can't imagine the uproar over things not getting graded in a timely manner in today's climate.

3) what’s with Smittys last name? Please explain

Spongebob! He was number 1!  Just youtube it.

4) what does Gritty eat for dinner? 

Gritty eats Penguins and metal parking meters like Muzzy, who is el grande.

5) name 3 members you would like to see back here?

Squinty - always a good time. @JardyB10 - always a good time. @Jamie - always a good time. @Mike - always a good time.

6) all-time favourite commissioner? 

Besides myself? Probably @Will since we were Blue Team Bros for a while.

7) Randoms has GONE OfF this season. Is Smitty the reason?

I would like to say yes, but I feel like the correct answer should just be randomness!

8 ) Why don’t you ask the KnightTime questions?

I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to a VHL podcast...although I should more. I'll make it part of my New Years Resolution to ask you questions!

Any advice from a veteran player in the this league for a new player like myself?

What would you say is the most important part in having a successful career in this league?

Do you have any pointers on certain things to train on for maximum performance?

As a veteran player in this league, what is more important to you team success or player success?

How important is leadership when it comes to being on a team in this league?

On 12/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, NyQuil said:

Any advice from a veteran player in the this league for a new player like myself?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and sometimes ask multiple people. There are some things (such as the importance of certain attributes) that most people believe as fact, but some may have other opinions. Also, don't be afraid to do something different if you want to.

What would you say is the most important part in having a successful career in this league?

I'm going to answer this in a slightly different way than you may have been asking - but the most important thing is to have fun. Whatever that means for you, do it. At the end of the day, this is a sim league, so find something that you enjoy, whether it's creating a successful player, creating a role or gimmick player, etc... One thing to realize is that not everyone is going to be a star in this league, and even if you are, that doesn't mean every season you have will be successful. 

Do you have any pointers on certain things to train on for maximum performance?

In general, regardless of position, I believe that Skating, Scoring, and Defense are your most important attributes. Passing, Checking, and other all have their place, but those three are king.

As a veteran player in this league, what is more important to you team success or player success?

This very much ebbs and flows by player. I'm on my 6th player, and for all other 5, the answer was team success 100%. Because my player has a shot at making the hall of fame, it's now 50/50...and that feels very weird for me. This was also the first time I've gone to free agency as a star player.

How important is leadership when it comes to being on a team in this league?

Leadership the attribute? Not very important. Leadership from your GM? That's going to change based on your personal preferences and what you're looking for in the league. In general though, sometimes new GMs have to realize that they're GMing actual people and not AI. Sometime they're going to do something that you find irrational and don't agree with, and sometimes they're going to have goals of their own to meet too, whether it's playing on a certain line, hitting certain benchmarks, etc...

On 12/16/2019 at 2:43 AM, Banackock said:

I think you mean this for Smitty as an individual - thought it went well. I believe I'm going to collect my second straight Labette, so that's nice. Just missed out on the Valiq too.

9) who’s winning the Cup?

So it's kind of lame that I'm answering this now, but my heart was with Riga and my head was with Seattle.

10) favourite thing about Christmas!!?

Eh...usually it's seeing how excited young kids get about everything, but there aren't any of those in my family really at the moment.

Personally, I had a good season. Most likely going to win 2 awards and had a chance at a 3rd. Hopefully I'll be able to continue that success next season before depreciation really starts to hit.

What are your thoughts on how your team is doing?

I thought we met expectations. Next year though, we have to step it up. Will most likely be our best chance for the next couple of seasons.

Who has been your teams best player?

Probably either myself or Jet Jaguar depending on how you judge it.

What do you think it would have been like if you went to Seattle?

Well I would have won the cup, wouldn't I? ? 

1) Why do you never ask me press conference questions?

2) Do you anticipate your next player being as active as Smitty?

3) Who do you think is the best blue team member of all time?

4) When was your least active time on VHL?

5) Do you wish you ever tried playing ice hockey as a kid?

6) Do you spent more time on VHL or Hockeysfuture? 

7) How often do you estimate you write media spots?

? Favorite kind of Christmas cookie? 

9) Do you think the VHL has seen a lull in activity lately?

10) Are you enjoying Cod or NHL more currently

On 1/12/2020 at 10:55 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) Why do you never ask me press conference questions?

TBH I'm surprised you ask me individual press conference questions. I either answer mine or answer the Moscow specific ones.

2) Do you anticipate your next player being as active as Smitty?

No - I'm already very slightly less active than I was at the beginning of my career. It at least felt like I hit the cap with a media spot for every week of my first 3 seasons and did all the uncapped TPE I could. My next player I see as a welfare 11 TPE cap player with media spots done for donation doubles and any doubles earned from VHL. I've also done less media spots since SBA ended their affiliation with us.

3) Who do you think is the best blue team member of all time?

While I've been here? It's been either @Victor or @Will - both have had different challenges and were blue team members at different stages of the VHL, but both did an excellent job from both a behind the scenes perspective and a public relations perspective. My actual answer is actually going to be whoever was Blue Team around what I'm guessing was S15-20ish ( @sterling?) - reason being that no other sim league had survived for that long, so they were truly in uncharted territory.

4) When was your least active time on VHL?

Coincidentally (or not?) probably the same as yours - when you were in London during Jeff Gow's career. I was probably semi-active for 1 season and inactive for 1 season during his career.

5) Do you wish you ever tried playing ice hockey as a kid?

Yes and no - it's very expensive and takes up a ton of time, and the time isn't during the normal "after school sports" hours. I/we also didn't have many friends who played it, so meh. I did enjoy the street hockey we used to play though. If there's one sport I wished I played (and actually played at a young age, not just the indoor version) it's soccer.

6) Do you spent more time on VHL or Hockeysfuture? 

Definitely hockeysfuture. I check VHL maybe 2 or 3 times a day, but I'm on hockeysfuture much more. 

• 1 month later...

BANA PC BOMB

run away nuclear explosion GIF by Identity

1. Do you have any fears? If so, list and shit.

2. Do you have any pet peeves? If so, list and shit.

3. What's something you're looking forward to in 2020?

4. What is something you're not looking forward to in 2020?

5. Where is the next place you plan to travel to? OR, where do you want to go if you could etc.

6. What is your GO-TO snack?

7. What is your favourite food or food that you crave most?

@flyersfan1453

18 minutes ago, Banackock said:

BANA PC BOMB

run away nuclear explosion GIF by Identity

1. Do you have any fears? If so, list and shit.

2. Do you have any pet peeves? If so, list and shit.

3. What's something you're looking forward to in 2020?

4. What is something you're not looking forward to in 2020?

5. Where is the next place you plan to travel to? OR, where do you want to go if you could etc.

6. What is your GO-TO snack?

7. What is your favourite food or food that you crave most?

@flyersfan1453

ask me too