Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen Press Conference

1) Who do you think is the favorite to win the Founders Cup?

2) Who do you think is the favorite to win the Continental Cup?

3) When you are in the VHLM, do you pay attention to the VHL, and vice versa?

4) Who is your favorite member on here?

5) Who is your least favorite member on here?

• Admin

1. Thoughts on the new expansion teams - any you like in particular, any you don't think were the best decisions?

2. If given the choice, would you rather join an existing team or Moscow in the draft?

3. What is your favourite VHL memory?

46 minutes ago, Victor said:

1. Thoughts on the new expansion teams - any you like in particular, any you don't think were the best decisions?

2. If given the choice, would you rather join an existing team or Moscow in the draft?

You need to ask 5

hello new teammate

When did your love affair with Gritty start?

why do you love Gritty so much?

Why is your name so long and hard to pronounce?

Are you satisfied with your production so far?

Do you have a favorite teammate?

1) Do you think we should add another VHL expansion team soon?

2) What is your opinion on theme weeks? I personally think it's kind of lame seeing the same topic talked about over and over again, though it is good to get people who don't usually do media spots to do them. 

3) Do you think everyone having an assistant GM is dumb?

4) Do you remember our first trade neogotiation in the VHLM when we were both at mom's and I gave you two 2nd round picks for some inactive whose named started with J for like 160 tpe?

5) Do you ever go on discord?

On 1/21/2019 at 2:14 AM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) Who do you think is the favorite to win the Founders Cup?

The Ottawa Lynx of course. We'll have 4 capped (maybe 3 with 1 very close to being capped) defensemen, some good forwards, and a capped goalie. We're up there with the best and will beat Los Vegas.

2) Who do you think is the favorite to win the Continental Cup?

I couldn't tell you because of my answer to number 3. I'll say Riga because I like them and I know they're good. They have top players and depth.

3) When you are in the VHLM, do you pay attention to the VHL, and vice versa?

Not especially. I couldn't tell you much about how the VHL is going this year. When I'm in the VHL, I'll check the VHLM Index from time to time to see what new players/members are putting up points and TPE, but that's about it.

4) Who is your favorite member on here?

I'm not going to say you because that's too easy. It was @Squinty but he hasn't been here in forever. I don't actually talk to too many people on the site anymore outside of the "yay team" stuff, but @Smarch and @Victor are always cool dudes.

5) Who is your least favorite member on here?

Hm...I don't really have one. There are a couple people who have different personalities and ways of thinking than me, but that doesn't mean they're bad guys. @Devise and @Banackock are always gung hoe about changing things up and I'm always like "no way, the way we've been doing it forever works fine", but I don't dislike either of them. The site needs people like them to put ideas forward and needs people like me to tell them to slow down.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:25 PM, Victor said:

Obviously I'm happy to get a team in Philly, but I just wish the team name made more sense and tied in to the city. I feel like we found logos and tried to make them fit instead of coming up with team names and then finding logos. Obviously the latter takes more time and effort and admittedly it's not something I have interest in doing or would be good at. I know there was talk about putting the Houston team in Dallas or just Texas so I'm glad I brought up Houston and the old Aeros, because Houston makes much more sense than those other locations...even Austin, TX would have been better. Moscow is pretty good if we have to have a European Conference...:p 

Both have their positives. On one hand, if I join Moscow, I can become a top player for the team and anchor the defense for a long time. Similar to when I was on Cologne, I can top the franchise leader boards for at least a little bit. On the other hand, who knows how long it takes Moscow to become competitive? How many seasons would I actually have a chance to win a Cup?

I'd like to say "winning the Continental Cup as GM of Riga" but that felt more like a relief than pure joy considering how much we failed beforehand. The happiest I was at a single point in time was when I won my first Founder's Cup as GM of Ottawa in season 30 something. Looking back on it, it obviously doesn't mean that in the grand scheme of things, but I was still a newer member and GM at the time so it felt really cool. 

Being trusted to be a commissioner felt good as well, for as short a time it was.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:56 AM, SlapshotDragon said:

1) How the hell do you pronounce your name?

SMIT-tee WER-ben-YAY-ger-MAN-jen-SIN

3) Thoughts on Chiarelli being fired.

It's a shame Fletcher wasn't able to trade Simmonds there first ? Long time coming for a GM that is basically throwing away a good portion of McDavid's career.

4) Thoughts on VSN?

It's a pretty cool idea that seems to be a good replacement for the mag. Admittedly, I don't read most of the articles, but from the couple that I have read they appear to be well written and entertaining. I know others really like them though, so that's good for the league.

5) What do you think is the easiest way to get TPE?

Welfare + 2 press conference + fan590 + trivia is the "easiest" way to get close to the cap. Can add in a PT and/or reviewing to hit the cap. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, bluesfan55 said:

When did your love affair with Gritty start?

I actually hated him at first. I was at work when he first dropped on twitter, and me, my boss, and a co-worker thought he was the dumbest thing ever. He's grown on me insanely though, considering how goofy he is. He's annoying at games though.

why do you love Gritty so much?

The eyes. They move. But outside of actually being at the game, he's pretty funny. He's funny during pre-game and intermission. He's extremely annoying while the game is going on though if he's in your section.

Why is your name so long and hard to pronounce?

It's not actually that hard to pronounce. You say it exactly how it looks. I'm also starting to wonder what the age cut off is for people who wouldn't recognize this from Spongebob... 

Are you satisfied with your production so far?

So I'm answering this after the fact now, but yes, overall I was satisfied with my production, especially in the playoffs. My point totals tailed off towards the end of the season, but if I look at them in the aggregate, I think they're pretty good, especially when you consider how stacked our defense was.

Do you have a favorite teammate?

Gritty!

On 1/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

1) Do you think we should add another VHL expansion team soon?

Depending on what "soon" is. Next season? Meh. After a couple seasons when we see if recruitment and detainment stays up? Then yes.

2) What is your opinion on theme weeks? I personally think it's kind of lame seeing the same topic talked about over and over again, though it is good to get people who don't usually do media spots to do them. 

I don't mind them as long as they're only once, maybe twice a year. Usually they lead to some pretty good articles, and it's nice to get a bunch of people's opinions about something. Unless it's brands. Then I'm going to write an article about how bad they are and why they need to be abolished.

3) Do you think everyone having an assistant GM is dumb?

I sort of get the point, but I feel like them getting paid is dumb. Not the end of the world, but meh. They make sense in the VHLM since there are some activities (like signing new players) that require sort of 24 hour monitoring of the site, but in the VHL, I don't see why they're needed at all, if they're even a thing. Worst comes to worst, you send a representative or designate someone to take over duties while you're away for a week or whatever. I guess at the end of the day that's not anything different than an assistant GM...but I'm still gonna say it's dumb.

4) Do you remember our first trade neogotiation in the VHLM when we were both at mom's and I gave you two 2nd round picks for some inactive whose named started with J for like 160 tpe?

Yes,  I do. Are we sure it wasn't VHLM super star Jeevan "Wayne Gretzsky" Samuelsson? And I'm pretty sure I was nagging you to add on a 1st in lieu of the 2nds, but you wouldn't budge.

• Commissioner
15 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

I sort of get the point, but I feel like them getting paid is dumb.

FWIW that's not a guarantee. A GM if they wish can split their pay with an AGM but it's at the GM's discretion. If they want their full pay there is no extra pay for an AGM.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

FWIW that's not a guarantee. A GM if they wish can split their pay with an AGM but it's at the GM's discretion. If they want their full pay there is no extra pay for an AGM.

I'm fairly certain that @Quik has said otherwise more recently, for the VHLM at least. I believe now AGMs can only get 1 TPE flat no matter how much their GMs claim.

• Commissioner
28 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I'm fairly certain that @Quik has said otherwise more recently, for the VHLM at least. I believe now AGMs can only get 1 TPE flat no matter how much their GMs claim.

I could be wrong, I believe we agreed it’s a max of 1, as in GM’s can’t give their full pay, however it’s still not guaranteed. Unless something changed.

39 minutes ago, Enorama said:

10 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I could be wrong, I believe we agreed it’s a max of 1, as in GM’s can’t give their full pay, however it’s still not guaranteed. Unless something changed.

No, if a GM wants to pay their AGM, it’s still 1 out of the GM’s pay. Not the GM claiming 2 and AGM claiming 1. As Bek said, it’s just a max of 1, because some GMs don’t need to collect GM pay, like @Beaviss, @Spade18, @McWolf and @Sonnet

7 minutes ago, Quik said:

No, if a GM wants to pay their AGM, it’s still 1 out of the GM’s pay. Not the GM claiming 2 and AGM claiming 1. As Bek said, it’s just a max of 1, because some GMs don’t need to collect GM pay, like @Beaviss, @Spade18, @McWolf and @Sonnet

I see a tendency there.

Could AGM get paid though? They help a lot and deserve a little something.

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, McWolf said:

I see a tendency there.

Could AGM get paid though? They help a lot and deserve a little something.

Honestly I don’t even love having them in a formal role when historically it has been more of a “learning” position. I’m okay if GM’s want to split their pay but I don’t love the idea of two people being paid to split a job like that.

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I don’t even love having them in a formal role when historically it has been more of a “learning” position. I’m okay if GM’s want to split their pay but I don’t love the idea of two people being paid to split a job like that.

TBH in the VHLM Assistant Gm's are a must need converge for all times of the day in the bidding wars for new creates. I use my AGM's as scouts and to teach them the ropes.