Donat Szita Player Profile [2/2]

FamishedBlanket

Donat Szita

6’6” 217 lbs

Right Handed Defenseman

Budapest, Hungary

Donat Szita was born in Hungary with his parents expecting him to go to the international university in the area and become a dentist as his family before him all had. His siblings followed this however Donat Szita did not, he ended up playing more sports when he was younger starting with soccer, which he was terrible at, eventually due to his size and height a basketball coach approached him and asked him to try and play basketball, while decent he played this sport up until he was about 10 when someone introduced him to hockey. While not great when he started he fell in love with the sport and dedicated way too much time in hockey practice and eventually his grades and schoolwork dropped significantly. His parents were shocked and almost deemed him a disappointment when in the same year his brother graduated and became a dentist he was dropping out of school to begin his career playing hockey when the local Budapest stars team signed him to be a big enforcer. While taking this role he developed his defensive ability but was largely limited as all his coach wanted was to have him go out hit somebody take a penalty and then sit back on the bench, it wasn’t until when he was about 14 that someone taught him how to be a better defender and established himself as one of the best Hungarian prospects. His new coach was a coach for a the team in Györ where he first began to play true defenseman minutes and wasn’t just the big man on the ice, and this time in his development he really began pushing out great defensive plays and stats however lacked the offensive ability for anyone to deem him being close to being signed by an Erste Liga team or even a top Hungarian league team, however Donat Szita wanting to leave his mark as the best Hungarian hockey player of all time, began pushing out some offensive plays and began working more to develop his offensive play. However about the time he began to develop tragedy struck when one of his parents died and his brother was terribly injured in a car accident, this terribly hurt his family and shot his father and sister into depression, his sister eventually began to push on but his dad just continued a downward spiral eventually pushing him towards drugs and almost killing himself infront of Donat and his sister, this took a huge toll on his hockey career however lead to him developing a relationship with a goalie named Chris Bush who also can almost as close to the VHLM however tore his ACL and became a personal trainer and agent for Donat Szita. Donats friendship with Chris helped him continue his hockey career and his development through the hard times and helped him push out of depression me continue his stellar rise in Hungarian hockey. He eventually began to get closer with his father and help his father out of depression and drugs and back into work. And through all this sadness Donat eventually struck luck when he was 16 as he was given his first shot at international play when he made the U18 Hungarian national hockey team and played as a second line defender behind current national team captain Bence Szabo, During this time he formed a good bond with Bence which eventually lead to a deadly defensive pair for the national team during international friendlies matches with Latvia and the upset of the German national team. Donat felt that after his run with the international team he was destined to finally play in the Austrian Erste Liga, and he did when the Hungarian team Férhévar signed him for two years, he went on to win the Erste Liga Rookie of the year in his first season with 4 G and 18 A in his first year these numbers while not stellar in 40 games were topped off with his amazing defensive ability coming up with 49 hits and many more defensive stops during big games, his next season while producing slightly less with 6 G be 14 A for only a total of 20 P ended up with Donat advancing his team towards men Erste Liga championship and further demonstrated his hockey ability. However while he felt like he was at the top and ready to sign with a VHLM team to begin his true professional career he was eventually injured in a friendly game against the Italian national team that pushed back his signing date with a team from the beginning of the season to around game 69, a push that destroyed his first professional year. During Donats life in Hungary he experienced many great and terrible things that all shaped him into the player he was, devoting his life into hockey he still says was his best decision as he is quoted as saying “In Hungary hockey doesn’t make much money my parents said I should’ve just quit as even if I did make it to the top leagues I still wouldn’t make as much as the family business and dentistry did, but I knew that it wasn’t about the money I wanted to walk into work everyday and absolutely love the people I worked with and my job, and I didn’t feel that with anything i would’ve gotten back in Budapest, I wanted to become a hockey player regardless of if I made millions or played for free, even if the family dentistry brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars” this shows that his life shaped him in a way where he absolutely loves the sport and would give up anything to play it when asked if he had regrets he simply stated “I missed out on opportunities with friends and girls and all and I missed out on an exciting life but i knew I didn’t want to risk playing hockey for a few fun nights, you only get one life and I wanted to spend my life playing hockey no matter the physical damage, yeah I missed out on being a teenager but I gained my passion and purpose, a trade off I’m glad I made” Donat still demonstrates Jose values and is ready to make his mark in the VHL

6985D7AD-4190-4391-A78F-C8F5297C4DAC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Review: Nice article detailing the life of Szita. I know you mentioned that Szita wanted to be the best Hungarian player of all time...who is the current best Hungarian player? It's a shame that Szita was typecast into a specific role while he was younger, but luckily he was able to show his talent as a true player. Szita should have an advantage over some of his peers, as he's played against men in the Erste Liga. Good luck with the rest of your career, and nice start to your VHL career!

@FamishedBlanket

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Donat Szita Player Profile [1/2]

Review: As DollarAndADream mentioned above, the lack of formatting and paragraphing makes it a bit difficult to read. I do like your ideas and your creativity; an injury is an excellent way to explain joining midseason in the VHLM. Your guy had a pretty similar path to mine, with parents looking for him to follow a healthcare profession and his sibling obeying their wishes, but the love of the game winning out for him in spite of the external pressure. I do think it's a solid background, just needs to be a bit neater and easier on the eyes. The internet has destroyed even us English majors' ability to digest large chunks of text lol

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Donat Szita Player Profile [2/2]