What is happening with the Ottawa Lynx? [1/2]

Matt_O

The Ottawa Lynx have shocked the VHLM world. While their work is still far from over, their playoff run has still been that of a cinderella story. Almost no one gave them a shot in the wild card round vs Las Vegas, and they swept them 2-0. That was surprising in itself, but now they play Yukon. "It's OK, Yukon is going to slaughter them" said many, including myself. Let me tell you, it looked that way after games 1 and 2. Yukon won both those and stormed out to a commanding 2-0 series lead over the weaker Ottawa team. But the balance in the VHLM would only be restored temporarily, as the Lynx won games 3 and 4 to tie the series. Hell, I even thought they would lose in the wildcard round, maybe take one game at best on the Aces. Now they find themselves with a 2-2 series tie going into game five against Yukon.

One notable performance was their recent Game 4 against the Rush. Finn Davidson saved the day with a great performance, stopping all 19 shots he had to face as the Lynx tied the series at two games a piece. However, what that doesn't tell you is that the Lynx had a mere six shots on net. How in the world do the Ottawa Lynx beat the first place team with only six shots on net? It just shouldn't happen.

Not only this, but the difference in skill is just so big, it is a miracle that this wasn't a sweep. Ottawa had 26 wins this year going into the playoffs, while Yukon had 48. This is very baffling to me. While the series is far from over, Ottawa should be grateful that they have made it to this point.

Honestly, I wasn't surprised at the first round. We started off the season with Dahlberg, Matthews, Rasputinov, and Rift, and a whole bunch of nothing else. We got off to a bad start standings-wise because of that, but throughout the course of the season we picked up Davison, Gebauer (who was later dealt), Svoboda, Gritty, Werberjagermanjensen, LaGarza, and Jason S. It's like a football team that starts off 3-5 but finishes 6-2, sneaks in at 9-7, then faces off against the 11-5 team who was at about the same rate the whole season. Vegas had the better overall season because of how we started, but I wouldn't necessarily say our team as it's currently comprised is worse than theirs.

Yukon, different story entirely. It's weird that we're 2-2 with them. Definitely wouldn't have expected a sweep but maybe 3-1 with them, then they'd close it out in 5 maybe 6 - if we can push this to 7, even more so if we get a result, that will truly be the upset.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

@Matt_O

Yes, as TLO said, this is under 500 words so it's not worth 6 TPE. I'm not sure if it's been claimed as 6 or not already since it's from December, but try not to do that again.

My bad, now my media spots are always over 500 words. I actually claimed this as an article, just checked my update history

Edited by Matt_O

• DollarAndADream changed the title to What is happening with the Ottawa Lynx? [1/2]