One for the Future - Nico Sulerzyski

Brolaski

Name: Nico Sulerzyski

Height: 6’1

Weight: 205 lbs.

Handedness: Right
Birth Place: Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
Jersey Number: 77

100646_1318411.jpg.1469x1500_q95_crop-smart_upscale.thumb.jpg.852c24d9a806d0678a42ec9bd2db7c1f.jpg

Nico Sulerzyski is a name you might have heard buzzing around recently. A sharp shot and a personality to boot, many see a bright future for this Florida native. Going into his junior year in college captaining his Harvard Crimson, Sulerzyski is looking to cut his college life short and will look to further his standings at the professional level. With his recent birthday passing, many GMs might lower the Now-20 year old’s draft stock: Bad choice for those that do. Let’s look at this young player’s report.

STRENGTHS:

Shooting – Sulerzyski is a natural-born goal scorer. Never one afraid to shoot, Sulerzyski’s shooting percentage might give some coaches a scare. Nico isn’t afraid of getting the puck on net and is at his best in a fast-paced, rebounding offense. With the speed and power he gives the puck off his blade, Sulerzyski is a perfect pick for teams in need of a purebred sniper.

Skating – Watching this winger play in person is truly an exhilarating experience. Nico’s top speed isn’t the fastest, but his explosiveness is something you can’t teach. At only 20 years old, his speed is something he can perfect. The raw physicality this kid exhibits is something that can’t be taught. Expect to see many icings called off with this winger getting in behind the larger defensemen.

Temper – Nico seems to be a pretty disciplined player at first glance, and I think his Temper has a lot to do with it. He’s rarely seen getting into unnecessary fights but will still stick up for his teammates when needed. Last year posting only 14 penalty minutes in 82 games, Sulerzyski is a reliable winger when it comes to sin bin excursions.

WEAKNESSES:

Defending – Nico Sulerzyski is not your man if you’re looking for penalty kill expertise. Known to be a full forward, you can easily see that Nico focused his training on the offensive aspects of his game. While you will see him on the back check, know that you’re getting offense when you pick Sulerzyski. Some extreme conditioning will be needed to give this kid a better ground on defending.

Faceoffs – I don’t think Nico has ever centered a line, and his faceoffs are proof. Sulerzyski sported a 7.7 FO%, winning just one of thirteen faceoffs taken. Thankfully, I don’t believe you would pick this kid if you were looking for a faceoff taker, as he probably won’t be heading any penalty kill lines in the near future. Definitely something to be worked on; Don’t expect much from him in that department.

Strength – I don’t personally find this an extreme weakness in his case, but I think many will disagree with how the league is evolving. At 205 pounds, Nico can stay on his feet for a decent hit but could do with more muscle on him. Prepare to see more takeaways and less hits from 77’s play.

CLOSING STATEMENTS:

Shots, shots, and more shots. That’s what you’ll get with Sulerzyski. He isn’t the most physical or versatile when it comes to types of play, but he’ll prove his worth. His play on offense reminds me of a Jarvis Baldwin, and I think that’s the type of ceiling you could expect to see from this prolific, young winger.