VHLM Radio AM440 - Jorgon Weyed

Joubo

Hello and welcome back to another edition of VHLM Radio AM440. I am your host Alex Mayweather and my guest today is Las Vegas Aces captain Jorgon Weyed.

A: Jorgon, welcome. It’s been a while since we’ve had you on the show, but now that the playoffs are over and you are going to be moving to the VHL next season, we wanted to get you on the show to talk about your second season in the VHLM.

J: Alex, thanks for having me back. I feel it was a great year for my personal growth and for the team’s growth as well. Even though we didn’t make it out of the bye round, I know the players on this team had more to give and will be pushing for the cup next season.

A: You made a huge jump from your rookie season which saw you pot 16 points in 62 games. This season you exploded for 97 in a full 72 game season. What did you do differently in the offseason to get you to this point?

J: To be honest, I went back to the basics. I worked on my shot a lot, I worked on my foot speed and my first step to get some more explosiveness and to be a little bit faster on that first step. I also spent a lot of time in the gym working on my lower body to make it harder to push me off the puck.

I can’t say that all my growth is from my offseason training. I’ve had a great GM in Vegas, who has helped push me and show me where I should be in the league. Also the team was great this year. I had solid line mates, a great goalie and the depth we had was just spectacular.

A: So now that you are most likely going to be moving to the VHL next season, what are your goals?

J: Honestly, I just want to make an impact on the team, be it on the first line or the fourth. Quebec has a great team in place and a lot of the players are going to be returning. So for me, I’m just going to focus on my speed, shot and strength and hope for the best. I know it’s going to take a lot of work for me to move up the lineup, but with hard work and dedication I know I can help push Quebec over the top.

A: Do you have any advice for the rookies heading into the draft this offseason?

J: Just work hard and get as much TPE as you can. Reach out to the different VHLM General Managers and ask them what they are looking for. Even if you want to ask how you should build your player, they are more than willing to help. If you don’t think you will make much of an impact and you are close to hitting the 200 VHLM maximum, take some time off and spend another season in the VHLM. It can only help your growth and allow you to make a bigger impact once you make it to the VHL.

A: Jorgon, thank you again for coming on the show. It’s always great to have you and we wish you the best of luck in your Rookie season in the VHL.