Kyson Blake Reflects

TMI

Kyson Blake and the Saskatoon Wild have just won the VHLM Championship and even though he's busy celebrating with his teammates, he's also an extremely cerebral player and in such has agreed to sit down and take part in a reflection piece about himself, the season he just had, and what's next for him.

How did you come to be part of the Wild?

Man that's a crazy story in all honesty.  I filed my papers with the VHL head office and then almost immediately was contacted by a VHLM general manager.  I actually had no idea who it was I was talking to as they didn't really specify which team they were with, but it was good dialogue and they were helping me get settled in and make the process smooth for me.  Then a little bit later that day I received a contract offer in my email.  Being caught up in the whole excitement of joining the league and what not I had figured it was from the team who called me as they were the only team in contact with me, but it turns out it was the Wild, who were not the team who called me.

When did you learn the team who called you wasn't the same as the team who offered you?

The next day I got a call from that team again and they said that they had to step out for the remainder of the day yesterday.  They said they were going to get me setup while I was trying to explain and it was kind of a mutual realization of what had happened.  It was a bit awkward to be honest.

Do you regret how that situation went down?

Maybe a little bit, I mean I felt bad for a while after realizing I had signed with a different team and what not as they were nice and helping me out, but at the end of the day what was done was done and I was already headed to Saskatoon with all my equipment and paperwork filled out and I was a member of the Wild.

Looking back at the season, how do you think it went?

Well I mean we won the championship right?  Doesn't get much better than that.  But really though I think even aside from winning it all this year, it was the perfect situation for me to wind up on this team.  First and foremost the management of the Wild were extremely great and helpful in getting me situated in the league and really put me in the best situation to succeed day in and day out.  It was also awesome to get to practice and play with Rylan Peace and Chace Trepanier who are both a year ahead of me and play the same position so I get to learn from them and watch what they do in order to help my own game out.  Plus I get to go up against three of the top four defensemen in the VHLM in Piotr Jerwa, Burnt Toast, and Toby Fitzgerald.  If that wasn't already great enough I get to practice my shooting against Brick Wahl who is a World Cup Champion and now VHLM Champion.

So what's next for Kyson Blake?

It's tough to say really.  This Wild team won't be the same next year as we'll all be scattered across the VHLM and some will be called up to the VHL.  Obviously the draft is coming up, which is something I'm preparing myself for and hopefully that goes well and most people have indicated I'll be back down for another season of VHLM action so it'll be interesting to see where I'm at and what colors I'll be wearing.  Pretty much I'm taking it one day at a time and just enjoying the journey.