HC Davos Dynamo Press Conference

ShawnGlade

1.Through 9 games, HC Davos is sitting at 4-3-2 and 6th place in the VHL. Does this surprise you at all?
I think it's too early to fully get a read on anything, so I don't look much into the standings.

2.Toronto Legion is undefeated so far through 9 games. Davos is set to face Toronto on Game 57 which is only 3 games from now. Will they still be undefeated? If the game already happened, did that result surprise you? 
Toronto is a tough team, but we have star power and hungry young players. I feel like we could push them.

3.Davos has given up the fewest goals in the league with 18, what do you think has been the biggest component of that? 
Our defense is incredible and our goalie has some of the best reflexes I've ever seen.

4.John Madden is currently leading the team in scoring with 10 points in 9 games. His personal record is 64 points in which he did last season, how much do you see him beating that by?
He's had a great off-season of training, and he'll smash that record pretty convincingly.

5.How do you think the rookies have played so far this season?
All of us rookies have made each other better, it's fun competing on the big stage against guys going through similar issues and troubles as yourself.

6.What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?
It comes back to Earth when considering our defense is so strong, that I don't believe the margin is any need for concern. We play our own brand of hockey.

1. Through 9 games, HC Davos is sitting at 4-3-2 and 6th place in the VHL. Does this surprise you at all?

Not a lot. It was expected that trading our top players would mean a drop in the standings. I don't mind. Just the price that has to be paid.

4. If you were the GM of the team, who would your Captains/Assistant Captains be? Why?

Jokinen would still be my choice because of how long he has been here, then Davison, since I believe he is our second longest tenured player, and then probably another vet such as Crimson.

5. John Madden is currently leading the team in scoring with 10 points in 9 games. His personal record is 64 points in which he did last season, how much do you see him beating that by?

I think I can probably beat the record by a good 15 points, aiming for 80 this season.

7.Who has played better than you expected this season?

4-5 players stand out. The rookies, Scoringsonn and Martin, as well as Werbenjagermanjensen, have all had breakout seasons. On top of that, Davison is having a great year in net, statistics wise, and Pouta had a promising debut. The crease looks solid, as well as our youth.

8. Who are you looking to see more from as we move later into the season?

I don't know. I think a few of the rookies could do better if they were given more ice-time, and Jokinen and Harding have been shockingly mediocre this season.

9. What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?

Lack of chemistry, since everyone is new together. We have to find the line combos that work.

1.Through 9 games, HC Davos is sitting at 4-3-2 and 6th place in the VHL. Does this surprise you at all?
It's only 9 games and a lot can change. We can do better. I'm not really surprised by anything.

2.Toronto Legion is undefeated so far through 9 games. Davos is set to face Toronto on Game 57 which is only 3 games from now. Will they still be undefeated? If the game already happened, did that result surprise you? 
They are a great team and any team can win on any given night. The game already happened, but I was surprised the game went to a SO. Would have liked to win that one.

3.Davos has given up the fewest goals in the league with 18, what do you think has been the biggest component of that? 
Finn is an excellent goalie, but our defense as a whole helps limit the shots too.

4.John Madden is currently leading the team in scoring with 10 points in 9 games. His personal record is 64 points in which he did last season, how much do you see him beating that by?
How much? By a fricken hundred! He's having a great season.

5.What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?
It goes back to the first question. We can do better. I don't know what needs to be done, but we'll figure it out. We have a lot of talent.

6. If you were the GM of the team, who would your Captains/Assistant Captains be? Why?

They'd remain the same. I'm not in a position to challenge or question the decisions this team has made. I trust they know what they're doing and that they provide us the best opportunity to win.

Still early in the season - I have high expectations for this group. I'm sure we will turn a corner later in the season 

Toronto has quite the team right now - star power led by Ryan Peace and Veran Dragomir. It will be a tough test

Solid defense and a rock solid goalie baby

He could have close to 100 points this season. Which is why I drafted in in my fantasy league. STUD!

5.How do you think the rookies have played so far this season?
The rookie class has been solid for us - no one is dominating the league, but that is expected with younger players. We just gotta keep grinding 

6.What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?
We definitely lost some top end scoring, but maybe a line mix could jolt some life into us

On 7/16/2019 at 10:04 AM, Poptart said:

Through 9 games, HC Davos is sitting at 4-3-2 and 6th place in the VHL. Does this surprise you at all?

No, this sounds about right. We're a playoff tweener team that maybe should make the playoffs, but it's far from a guarantee.

Toronto Legion is undefeated so far through 9 games. Davos is set to face Toronto on Game 57 which is only 3 games from now. Will they still be undefeated? If the game already happened, did that result surprise you? 

Last I saw they had like 16 wins and 1 OT loss...they're pretty good, but that's still surprising. In the parity era, that type of dominance is very unexpected.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:39 AM, Poptart said:

Who do you hang out with in the off-season?

Gritty. He's an interesting character. We get cheesesteaks at John's Roast Pork @Positivefan036 

John Madden is currently leading the team in scoring with 10 points in 9 games. His personal record is 64 points in which he did last season, how much do you see him beating that by?

If I had to guess, he'll finish slightly above a point per game. Probably around 77 points...so beating it by 13 points.

Who are you looking to see more from as we move later into the season?

I need more points and the team needs more wins. I really hope we make the playoffs this year, as it would bode well for our success going forward.

• What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?
  •  

We lost some scoring power, but we've been a little unlucky too. The goals should start to pile up soon.

Questions for Davos: 

1. Through 9 games, HC Davos is sitting at 4-3-2 and 6th place in the VHL. Does this surprise you at all?
  2. Toronto Legion is undefeated so far through 9 games. Davos is set to face Toronto on Game 57 which is only 3 games from now. Will they still be undefeated? If the game already happened, did that result surprise you? 
  3. Davos has given up the fewest goals in the league with 18, what do you think has been the biggest component of that? 
  4. If you were the GM of the team, who would your Captains/Assistant Captains be? Why?
  5. John Madden is currently leading the team in scoring with 10 points in 9 games. His personal record is 64 points in which he did last season, how much do you see him beating that by?
  6. How do you think the rookies have played so far this season?
  7. Who has played better than you expected this season?
  8. Who are you looking to see more from as we move later into the season?
  9. What do you think is the reason for only scoring 23 goals? Does the lines need changing or did Davos lose that much scoring power?
  10. Rylan Peace is currently 3rd in the league with 5 goals, do you see Davos missing him at all this season? Who will pick up where he left off?

1. Yeah I guess a little, the team has some elite players and some solid depth.

2. Didn't check the score of the game yet but my guess would be no.

3. The whole team just seems to be defensively minded, just from what I've seen in the locker room, everyone wants to play both sides of the puck and help out our goaltender.

5. My guess would be that he would end up around the 80 point range. I see big things in his future and I see this as the very beginning of his bright career.

6. My play has been kind of rough recently, as far as the other rookies go I think they're doing a fantastic job.

9. I think everyone has been too defensively minded, Too much defensive play has left our team being lackluster, need to shift our focus towards the offensive side a little more now

Questions for Davos: 

1. Last time, I asked if being in 6th place through 9 games would surprise you. This week, Davos is sitting under .500 at 9-10-4, 7th in the VHL, are you starting to get concerned?
  2. Backup Goaler, Pekka Pouta, played 8 games with a record of 2-5-1 with a .890 Save percentage and 3.60 GAA. How do you think he played given his basically rookie goaler status?
  3. How big of an addition is Jake Davis to this team?
  4. Who is the most underrated player on Davos?
  5. If the VHL were to expand at some point, where would you like the next location of a team to be?
  6. Who do you think is the Most Improved Player on Davos?
  7. Have you seen the show Riverdale? If you have, what are your thoughts? If not, why have you not watched it? It's fantastic. 
  8. The off-season is still a ways away. BUT, if you were GM, what would you be doing this off-season? 
  9. What is your favorite rookie hazing prank?
  10. How did you come up with your player's name?

1. Last time, I asked if being in 6th place through 9 games would surprise you. This week, Davos is sitting under .500 at 9-10-4, 7th in the VHL, are you starting to get concerned?
It is concerning but we have a lot of games to be played this season and I hope we turn this ship around.

2. Backup Goalie, Pekka Pouta, played 8 games with a record of 2-5-1 with a .890 Save percentage and 3.60 GAA. How do you think he played given his basically rookie goalie status?
Pekka is a great team mate and plays his heart out. We play hard for our goalers and I think he has shown signs that he will be a major star in the league in the near future.

Jake is HUGE in the locker room and he is a dominate player on the ice. It is great that we have him on the team.

4. If the VHL were to expand at some point, where would you like the next location of a team to 
be?

Los Angeles would be my choice

5. Have you seen the show Riverdale? If you have, what are your thoughts? If not, why have you not watched it? It's fantastic. 
I have not watched it yet. I have not had time to watch anything as I am working on training to become a better hockey player.

6. What is your favorite rookie hazing prank?
The Ol' "Super Glue" in the jock strap gets them everytime.

12 hours ago, Poptart said:

Last time, I asked if being in 6th place through 9 games would surprise you. This week, Davos is sitting under .500 at 9-10-4, 7th in the VHL, are you starting to get concerned?

Not yet. We've played all 8 of our back up games already, so I'm not concerned about our record yet. If we're still here in a week or a week and a half, I might start to get worried.

Backup Goaler, Pekka Pouta, played 8 games with a record of 2-5-1 with a .890 Save percentage and 3.60 GAA. How do you think he played given his basically rookie goaler status?

Being a young goalie in this league is rough. I'm sure he would have liked to do a little bit better, but I don't think anyone can hold those 8 games against him.

How big of an addition is Jake Davis to this team?

Jake Davis is a very good addition to add to this team as a 2D. Depth is important.

Wrong player. Jake Davis is a very good addition to this team as a bonafide stud wing. Leading the team in points...definitely showing he's worth the money.

Who is the most underrated player on Davos?

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen. Over a point per game and somewhere around 5th-7th in points for a defenseman, but no one talks about him.

Who do you think is the Most Improved Player on Davos?

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen. Going to go from around .5 points per game to around a point per game. 100% improvement!

How did you come up with your player's name?

He was number one! Youtube it.

Edited by flyersfan1453

Questions for Davos: 

2. Backup Goaler, Pekka Pouta, played 8 games with a record of 2-5-1 with a .890 Save percentage and 3.60 GAA. How do you think he played given his basically rookie goaler status?
  5. If the VHL were to expand at some point, where would you like the next location of a team to be?

1. Definitely slightly concerned, but we are still pretty early in the season. If we are going to turn a corner it needs to be now though 

2. Pekka has been solid in his games, despite the stats. We havent played that great in front of him and need to score some more goals to help out 

3. Obviously a big addition, one of the top forwards in the VHL. 

4. I'll say rookie Guy LeGrande - hasnt been producing offensively that much this season but he has good work ethic and will be a very good player 

5. Somewhere in the USA - maybe Dallas?

6. MIP so far has been John Madden I think - he has been on fire to start this season 

1. It's not where we thought we'd be, but as long as we are able to scrap our way into the playoffs we have a chance.
  2. If the VHL were to expand at some point, where would you like the next location of a team to be?
    1. Detroit. There is a lot of hockey history there.
    1. Any time you can add a top play to your roster is good. He's been huge.
  4. The off-season is still a ways away. BUT, if you were GM, what would you be doing this off-season? 
    1. Getting my team to be the best they can be and putting myself in a position to win the draft.
  5. What is your favorite rookie hazing prank?
    1. Putting the change of clothes on the ice is always good so they have to skate back naked.
  6. How did you come up with your player's name?
    1. Virgil seemed like a good hockey name... Ligriv is just a semordnilap of Virgil.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:34 AM, Poptart said:

Questions for Davos: 

7. Have you seen the show Riverdale? If you have, what are your thoughts? If not, why have you not watched it? It's fantastic. 
  8. The off-season is still a ways away. BUT, if you were GM, what would you be doing this off-season? 

1. I would say yeah, the team needs to step up and shift into a higher gear if we want to make it into the playoffs. As of right now the chances aren't looking too great.

2. .89 save percentage is pretty solid as a rookie. If I were him I wouldn't get discouraged, it takes a little time to get used to life in the VHL for some players.

3. Jake Davis is an amazing player and I think he could really push the team back into a playoff spot. Look forward to seeing what he can do for us.

5. Ithaca, as a player that grew up idolizing Dustin Brown, it would be amazing to see his hometown get a team.

7. I've actually only seen the last episode of the series. As someone who has never seen the show before, it seemed really weird but friends have told me that it wasn't representative of the rest of the series so I'm sure it was disappointing for true fans.

9. Street clothes hanging from the rink rafters, it's something else whenever you see your stuff up there haha

On 7/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, Poptart said:

Questions for Davos: 

1. I would be concerned if this was last year's team, but we aren't necessarily supposed to be good this season. Losing is part of the process.

3. Definitely a huge one. We would be a whole lot worse without Davis on the roster. He is also a good locker-room presence. He is making it easier for us to retool, while not getting a lot worse.

6. I feel Katie Warren is having a much better year than she did last season. Good to see her succeeding. I also feel Davison is having easily his best season, despite the fact that the team is losing.

7. I have seen it. I thought the first season, and part of the second were good, but after awhile I just began to lose interest in it. Overall, solid show. Would rate 7/10.

8. Clearly we still need to get rid of one of our goalies. We have 3 goalies, and that just doesn't work in the VHL. Chernobyl or Pouta, one or the other, needs to go.

10. John Madden was I guess some kind of inside joke among friends. I mean I know the NFLer dude John Madden, ex-NHLer John Madden, and Moonbase Alpha meme John Madden. Not sure which one the inside joke came from, but I guess that's all I can say.

10 More Questions for Davos:

1.) Does failing to make the playoffs this season mean the season is a failure?

2.) What would you consider a successful season for Davos?

3.) Are there any players on Davos you believe should be considered for an award?

4.) What prospect affiliated with Davos do you believe has the brightest future?

5.) What NHL team would you compare Davos to?

6.) Who do you believe is our biggest rival?

7.) What are your thoughts on playoff crossover?

8.) Pick a player on Davos and compare them to a Spongbob character

9.) It's early - but any thoughts on who you'd like to see Davos draft in the 1st round in the upcoming draft?

10.) Can Davos compete for the cup next season?

I think any player would consider that a failure.
       A top 4 finish would be a successful season.
3.) Are there any players on Davos you believe should be considered for an award?
      Finn Davison comes to mind.
4.) What NHL team would you compare Davos to?
      The Kings are similar in the way they have older players with an influx of youth.
5.) Who do you believe is our biggest rival?
      The next team we play.
6.) It's early - but any thoughts on who you'd like to see Davos draft in the 1st round in the upcoming draft?
      Micha Sage is looking like a real worker. He would be high on my list.

• Honestly, yes. I do not see how we shouldn't make the playoffs even with the team we have and the moves we made. We need to make the playoffs. I really think if we cannot even make the playoffs, it's a big disappointment. I know certainly that I will not be happy. 

• Jake Davis should be considered for an award. Jake is 3rd in the league in points, 3rd in assists with 31, I think if there is anyone that should be winning the award, it would be them. 

4.) What prospect affiliated with Davos do you believe has the brightest future?

• All of them, they are all going to be great. I am not going to pick one as they are all great people and have bright futures. 

• The Colorado Avalanche. You literally have no idea what team will show up. They could be a team that is bottom of the league or they could make a run in the playoffs. It's tough to tell. 

• Helstinki I would say would be our biggest rival. I think it's my biggest rival as well. 

Image result for smitty spongebob

On 7/29/2019 at 3:48 PM, flyersfan1453 said:

10 More Questions for Davos:

7.) What are your thoughts on playoff crossover?

9.) It's early - but any thoughts on who you'd like to see Davos draft in the 1st round in the upcoming draft?

10.) Can Davos compete for the cup next season?

1. I would say so, really seemed like we had the talent to make it deep into the playoffs let alone into them period.

2. I'm in it for the long haul so really just trying to stay on the roster season to season, but number one priority is making the playoffs.

3. Dangles - Lowest locker room presence haha, ps plz add me to the locker room lmao

4. Aston Martin is a beast.

5. Montreal, they have some solid players and good goaltending but didn't even make the playoffs.

10. I should say so, we have some core pieces that need to develop some more, and I think the draft will really assist us.

Yes I think it would, especially given the star power we have on our roste.r 
       Making the playoffs and winning at least one series 
      Finn Davison or Madden 
4.) What NHL team would you compare Davos to?
      Vegas Golden Knights 
5.) Who do you believe is our biggest rival?
      Seattle ever since those line brawls earlier in the seaosn 
6.) It's early - but any thoughts on who you'd like to see Davos draft in the 1st round in the upcoming draft?
      Teemu Lehtinen Jr. is a guy to keep an eye on 

Questions for Davos: 

1. The Trade Deadline has come and gone, 1 trade was completed, would you have liked to see more or less?
  2. You have to choose 1: VHL Championship, MVP, or HOF Player. Why did you choose that?
  3. Favorite NHL team and why?
  4. At this moment, who is the current MVP of the VHL?
  5. What is your favorite sport to watch and why?
  6. Will you be going to Area 51? If you aren't, which members on the VHL do you think would actually go?
  7. The WJC is coming up! Who do you think wins it all this year?
  8. What's one person or piece of media you want to let everyone know about?
  9. What is your favorite summer drink?
  10. The coach pulls out some card and board games to pass the time, what did you play? (who did you play with? did you win?)

On 8/6/2019 at 10:18 AM, Poptart said:

Questions for Davos: 

1. The Trade Deadline has come and gone, 1 trade was completed, would you have liked to see more or less?
  2. You have to choose 1: VHL Championship, MVP, or HOF Player. Why did you choose that?
  4. What is your favorite sport to watch and why?
  5. Will you be going to Area 51? If you aren't, which members on the VHL do you think would actually go?
  6. What is your favorite summer drink?

1. I would have liked to see more action around the league for sure. For our team specifically, I know our GM was working the phones a bit and nothing came to fruition. 

2. Probably a HOF Player because if I am a hall of fame player I likely have a VHL Championship and an MVP under my belt. Might as well get all three :) 

3. New Jersey - born and raised and live in NJ so huge fan my whole life. 

4. Hockey because of the speed and skill, also played growing up 

5. I personally will not be, but I am sure @Walter Fizz will be there 

6. Right now, probably a Corona 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:18 AM, Poptart said:

Questions for Davos: 

4. At this moment, who is the current MVP of the VHL?
  5. What is your favorite sport to watch and why?
  6. Will you be going to Area 51? If you aren't, which members on the VHL do you think would actually go?
  7. The WJC is coming up! Who do you think wins it all this year?
  8. What's one person or piece of media you want to let everyone know about?
  9. What is your favorite summer drink?
  10. The coach pulls out some card and board games to pass the time, what did you play? (who did you play with? did you win?)

1. Nah, I think the team will be good next season, just gotta work FA and draft well.

2. HOF Player, because it's essentially a guarantee of multiple championships with the team. 

3. Penguins, I'm from Pittsburgh haha

5. Easily hockey, grew up as a kid watching it and have been a huge fan ever since.

7. I'm on team USA so gotta say USA, don't want to be unfaithful.

9. Homemade spiked lemonade, nothing more refreshing but has to be made with rum.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) The season is over - what are your thoughts on how it ended?

2.) The season is over - what are your thoughts on how your player performed?

3.) Who currently on the roster is poised to have a breakout season next year?

4.) Will this team look drastically different next season?

5.) The expansion teams are coming! - How will this affect the Dynamo?

6.) Which player is the biggest clown in the locker room?

7.) Favorite sports movie?

8.) Favorite classic sports jersey?

9.) It's the year 2050 - how different does the sport of hockey look?

10.) Are there any VHL/VHLM teams that you feel should be relocated?

On 8/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, flyersfan1453 said:

6.) Which player is the biggest clown in the locker room?

8.) Favorite classic sports jersey?

9.) It's the year 2050 - how different does the sport of hockey look?

1.) Not a great season for us, but missing the playoffs was a necessary step for us to continue improving as a team. I didn't really expect to make it, so no disappointment

2.) I was really doing great at the start, but dropped rapidly as it went on. Ended up barely beating my previous best in points.

3.) Smitty has a good shot at becoming a top 5 dman next season. Reaching 800 TPE and still in his prime.

7.) Slapshot.

8.) Anaheim Mighty Ducks inaugural jersey. 

10. Never liked the idea of a team in Houston, so them.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:27 PM, flyersfan1453 said:

1.) Definitely disappointed we couldnt snag a playoff spot this season, but have high hopes for next year

2.) I think my player was fine considering second line minutes and first year in the VHL. 

3.) I think Johnny Madden 

4.) I think there will be some new faces for sure, but I dont foresee drastic changes

7.) Miracle

10.) Yukon

I think it was pretty clear early on that we weren't making the playoffs, so it ended as well as it could have. The number of 1 goal losses was very annoying.

I think Smitty performed well. Don't think I'm in the discussion for any awards, but I should at least have an all-star appearance.

Me - but the not me answer is John Madden - at the very least, I think he'll become recognized more as a good player.

If we're going to be serious contenders, then yes, I think there will be a few new faces.

Going to lose another good young player, but may not be the worst thing in the world compared to the previous two expansion drafts.

Miracle, but honorable mention to Cool Runnings,.